• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Being Smart...Joining The Canadian Forces

Thanks for the info, The_Dictat,

I know my potential, and I am dead serious and dead committed to trying for Int Ops first, and that would be Regular Force. Because I am a single mother in school with, pretty much 0 support at the moment, I cannot join the reserves, nor do I want to really.

I'll keep in touch with some recruiters over the next year to see the pattern in information changes...maybe I can get a clue as to when would be the best time to apply would be, or gain some tips to further my application that way as well...

I agree with the subject title. If I was young these days, I would take any job the CF offered me. I would choose the CF over any other employer. I think it beats anything civvy street has to offer these days.

Then it that case, the quotas for each trade are distributed early in the year at all recruiting centers.  So you may want to apply for a Direct Entry into Int Op if its available in 2011, around march-april to get into the spots available.  Give the recruiting center a call about that in feb-march 2011 for better chance of being first come first served.

However, as it is for DE Int Officer, it is very likely that a selection board would be set up to evaluate candidatures in the later parts of 2011... so its likely to be a long process.

Until then, keep informed, there is a lot of great reading to do on the internet on the subject.

cheers

I was going to call the Sgt recruiter guy at 4 Int but I think someone in here might already have that step covered.  We'll see.

As for Int, were you looking at going operator or officer?  That in itself changes all kinds of stuff (I understood operator).

A foot in the door as a reservist can definitely do no harm and can help you prepare for the job ahead.  Plus, you might be able to get your basic training done on weekends and even get it credited to you once you join the regs (pure speculation).

I wish you luck in your endeavour and hope that we have been helpful enough.

The_Dictat said:
George: Things have changed.  4 Int Coy is sending people on BMQ and SQ for the last two years (4 candidates start this morning in fact).  Each unit is different and have their own selection criteria based on the needs of the unit.

Of course higher education make your candidature more attractive but potential and having the right mind for the job is more important.  So it is a competition, having the best file as possible is preferable.  Foreign language gives more points to the file.  Yes Int uses translators but having language skills is good and are used for other purposes.

Int Res unit change their requirements to be more severe only when there is few positions to fill.  They only take the best candidates available at the time of the recruiting drive.  They do have CFRG minimum standards but each have their selection requirement.
IntelGirl:  If you decide to try the reserve way to Int Op, contact 6 Int Coy Det Winnipeg for their recruiting procedure and requirements.

In our Area, if you want to put people on Crse, you need to cough up instructors.  ;)

Each Reserve Unit sets its own Recruiting Criteria.  Some have very high standards.  Others may not.  I have seen instances where a Unit Recruiter gives a letter to anyone who enters his door (Not an INT unit).

In our area, I recommend to most that they join a Cbt Arms unit first for the experience, and then transfer over.  Every area and unit is different, so this may work, and may not work to ones satisfaction.  It can at times be frustrating, but if you really want something you will continue on.

As for taking BMQ and SQ before Trades training, that is the norm.  However, in the Reserves you need to be accepted into a Unit before you can start BMQ and then SQ. 

In the Regular Force, which looks like your intent, you can be accepted at the CFRC as an INT OP and then go to St Jean to do BMQ.  Once you are ready for Trades Trg as an INT OP you will be Course Loaded with approx 45 others to do the Distant Learn Portion.  Those that pass will then be loaded onto the Core portion of the INT OP QL5A and sent to Kingston.  There are only 24 positions on the Core or Common portion, so that should give you an idea of what the failure rate may be.  Even Reg Force pers fail out on it.  After the Core or Common phase/module, one will then go onto the Environmental phase/module which is the most demanding.

There is very little difference in the QL5A and the BIOC for officers, although the officers will cover a few things in more detail.  In most cases the lectures are identical.

In the end, these courses have steep learning curves.  The more experience one has, the better.

I agree with The_Dictat, that if you are interested, contact the Recruiter or someone at 6 Intelligence Company in Winnipeg and talk to them.  What they say will be more relevant to Reseve Intelligence hiring in Winnipeg than what the Sgt may have told you at the CFRC, as they are doing the hiring, not the CFRC, and they know what they need at this moment.  It may also give you more insight into what the job involves.

Again, for more of a feel of what is involved, look at the INT OP topic.

Back