• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Being Smart...Joining The Canadian Forces

IntelGirl

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've finally made the decision about joining the Canadian Forces. I won't be applying for a year and a half however, as I have to make arrangements to have my daughter taken care of (single mother) and complete my high school. I am really happy to have found this forum, as I have been researching and started training. I just wanted to give a big thank you to all the members giving advice to those of us who know nothing as of yet.

My goal is to be able to join Int Ops. Train to the male's physical standards, if not higher within the next year. Thanks to those who have provided links to important information and tips for general success, and good luck to all those applying!

Lisha

Its a good decision,

you have set some goal, and If you are giving all your energy to do it, you will acheive it.

I support you.  Fo rme joining the CF was, the best thing I ever did after marrying my wife. It kind of save me.

Never give up. those goal are easily acheive.

IntelGirl said:
My goal is to be able to join Int Ops. Train to the male's physical standards, if not higher within the next year. Thanks to those who have provided links to important information and tips for general success, and good luck to all those applying!

Lisha

Considering that the Application process can take between few months and more than a year, are you sure you don't want to put in your application sooner?

The other issue you may have is that, as far as I can find, Int Op is still a transfer only trade (meaning you have to be IN the forces in order to transfer into it) ... though I have found evidence that they MAY trial a direct-entry option in the near future.

Either way, good luck.

They have been hiring off the street in the last few years, but this may now have ceased.  In all likelihood, it has returned/will soon return to Occupational Transfers only.  Discussion on that is found in the topic on INT OP in the Combat Service Support and Branches forum.

Intelgirl, there are many trades just begging for people and from what I understand, the military is ready to pay an incentive to get you into them.

EFFECTIVE 1 JUL 09, THE LIST OF OCCUPATIONS ELIGIBLE FOR A RECRUITMENT ALLOWANCE (REF A) IS RESCINDED AND REPLACED BY THE FOLLOWING UNDERSTRENGTH MILITARY OCCUPATIONS LIST (REF B):

A. NE TECH (A) 00116
    B. NE TECH (C) 00117
    C. NE TECH (T) 00118
    D. SIG OP 00329
    E. BE TECH 00155
    F. SONAR OP 00324
    G. VEH TECH 00129
    H. LCIS TECH 00110
    I. AC OP 00337
    J. ATIS TECH 00109
    K. EGS TECH 00303
    L. FLT ENGR 00021
    M. NAV COMM 00299
    N. NW TECH 00017
    O. MED TECH 00334
    P. AMMO TECH 00169
    Q. ARTYMN-FD 00008
    R. MAR ENG MECH 00121
    S. MAR ENG ART 00123
    T. MAR EL 00126
    U. MLAB TECH 00152
    V. E TECH 00125
    W. AVS TECH 00136
    X. EO TECH 00327
    Y. PHARM 00194

I'm just looking through the references and I found that since you plan on finishing high school, I assume you have no post secondary education and are not eligible for the incentives.  However, I assume all those trades are the "short list" that are seriously looking for people.  And don't forget, if you don't have the skill set, the military will give it to you through training!

I assume you have no post secondary education and are not eligible for the incentives.

Just to be perfectly clear here.  Not all these trades require post-secondary education or training to be eligible for application and the recruiting allowance. Sonar Op and Arty Fd for example.

Well actually I first had emailed to ask about the Int Op position, and got an email back saying it was transfer only, however, I called a Sgt of the Winnipeg Recruitment office and he said I did not need a transfer to apply for Int Ops...so we'll see what happens, and yes, I am sure I don't want to send in my application sooner...because of the simple fact if it takes less time, I can't take that chance and have my daughter not taken care of while I am away at training, and I cannot just up and leave her. I have to have a plan in place before I even apply so I am ready to execute that plan.

Thanks for all the help.

Also, for Int Ops I do not need a post secondary education. If I did, I wouldn't be entering that trade. I need a high school education, which is what I plan to finish before I apply.

I was just on the phone with a recruiting friend of mine.  He is suggesting that even with a high school diploma, the Int trade is open but you will be competing with all of Canada for it.  The higher your education (history, geography, etc) the better.  You may not score too high with a simple high school diploma.

Basic high school diploma eligible trades are on the way, he'll be emailing me in about 15 minutes.

Can you fill out more of your profile as he was mentioning that provincial point systems vary and may play a factor.  I assume by your Winnipeg CFRC comment that that is where you are, but maybe some other details may come in handy.

Sorry, I'll know for next time. It's been changed.

Also, if Int Ops does not work out, I was planning on Artillery Field as a second option.

Location at least.  It allows us to know "where you're coming from".  Age?  You talk of completing high school so in my mind I say that you dropped out to have a child, correct?  Other people might think you are on your last year of school. 

It helps to fill in the blanks when answers are given.  Of course, it might just be my curiosity as I am trying to answer questions my buddy is asking and I am lacking details.

Edited to add:  there is nothing wrong with the combat arms trades.  I originally joined with the intent on being a weapon tech.. the trade wasn't open so I took armour with the intent of remustering into it.  15 years later, still a tanker!!

Well I will add those details to my profile, and also for your use here.

I am from Winnipeg, MB Born & raised.
Went to French Immersion for 10 years.
I am on my last term of school, never dropped out to have a child, went to school pregnant right up until I gave birth, and 2 weeks after I gave birth I went back.
I am 20 as of July 17th.
Always have had good communication/writing skills.
Was going to go into Journalism before deciding to join the CF.

Pretty good knowledge of historical events, especially WWII for some odd reason. :D

C'est tres bon que tu est bilingue.  Make sure they know that at the recruiting center.

Math and sciences skills are a plus if you are looking at any "tech' trades as a secondary options.

You can always join the 6 Intelligence Company Winnipeg Detachment, right away, start your training with the reserves and then join the regular force in the future.  However at this time of the year, it is likely that you would get your first intelligence course not before next summer depending on when you join and when you do your basic training

Be careful about what your are being told for Direct Entry Int Op, there is a lot of conflicting info circulating here.  As far as I know, the trial is not running right now or is already full.  The same for officers.  The quota for each is maximum 6 candidates per year.

If not, then any combat related trade is a great way to gain knowledge that would be useful for a future in intelligence. Keep in mind that a transfer between trades is a couple of years away.

To increase your chances, follow the news with a critical mind, learn military strategy and the equipment. Effective writing and briefing skills is a must.  Learn foreign languages... you get the gist.

Good luck

I plan on doing as much as I can to increase my odds of getting into Int Ops. I can read German and speak German as well, but understanding it is the bigger challenge. So, maybe start there.

I added my firearms knowledge/experience in my profile for those wishing to view. However, whatever I need to learn, I will do it. I plan on applying Jan 1st of 2011, so let's hope if they still have the "6 per year" rule, I will be included in selection for that year.

Thanks everyone for your help/ Merci beaucoup!

Foreign languages are not going to be very relevant.  Int Ops are not Translators.  Translators are hired to Translate. 

An education is more relevant, as even Reserve Intelligence Units prefer to hire people with University Degrees.  Many Reserve Int Ops have a minimum of one Degree. 

Cbt Arms experience is also relevant, as even Reserve Intelligence Units prefer to take people who have already been trained and have experience in the CF.  Some units will not even look at you unless you have a Tour under your belt.  Most do not have the manpower to provide training for people who require BMQ and SQ, concentrating all their focus on training INT OPs.  Other desired points have already been mentioned.

It's mandatory for everyone to receive BMQ before proceeding onto waiting for training in their chosen trade...so I don't see how they would need to train someone "who needs BMQ" I will have had BMQ training. All I am planning on doing, is focusing on learning as much as possible. I know I don't need a University Degree to enter Int Ops, and they may want someone with a degree, that is fine...but I also know I can possibly get in without one.

If it doesn't work out, I know I will be well suited for other positions as well and it won't be a big deal, but right now my focus is Int Ops. For a single mother who doesn't even have her high school education yet, I can guarantee I am a heck of a lot smarter then everyone thinks I am. ;) Plus, I have a good sense of humor and dignity, who could resist my charm? :D

George: Things have changed.  4 Int Coy is sending people on BMQ and SQ for the last two years (4 candidates start this morning in fact).  Each unit is different and have their own selection criteria based on the needs of the unit.

Of course higher education make your candidature more attractive but potential and having the right mind for the job is more important.  So it is a competition, having the best file as possible is preferable.  Foreign language gives more points to the file.  Yes Int uses translators but having language skills is good and are used for other purposes.

Int Res unit change their requirements to be more severe only when there is few positions to fill.  They only take the best candidates available at the time of the recruiting drive.  They do have CFRG minimum standards but each have their selection requirement.
IntelGirl:  If you decide to try the reserve way to Int Op, contact 6 Int Coy Det Winnipeg for their recruiting procedure and requirements.

Back