• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Being forced out of quarters while away on course

Toronto88

Inactive
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone can help me here, i'm posted to a small base and was sent away on a career course a week ago until april next year and am being told all my belongings are going to have to be moved out of my single quarters into a ELQ very soon to make room for students.
My things(kit, personal items, electronics, everything i didn't bring on course with me) will be packed up and moved by some people at my unit and presumably sit around until i return from course in 5+ months.
I had to sign some sort of agreement when i moved in(which i'm working on getting a copy of), which i presume says they can do this to me in the fine print, but i in no way want this to happen while i'm away and on course, this is going to cause unneeded stress on me and monetary stress seeing as the amount i'll be paying(for somewhere i won't even reside for 5 months) will go up approx 150$ a month which i cannot afford at the present time.
Furthermore, there are much higher ranking than i, non-students residing just down the hall from me who i am told will not be forced to move. I would have my things put in a ELQ with someone else residing there who i don't even know for 5 months.
2 weeks before i flew out on course i informed the man in charge of housing about this and between then and now he never so much as hinted i might have my possessions moved out, i have been on the list for a pmq for a year now but students have priority even over staff such as i.

I haven't got a chance to speak directly to anyone back at my base over this issue, and realize this kind of thing sometimes happens to people when they are out in the field, but feel for the reasons above that i should not be forced out at least until my return from course.
If anyone has any tips on how i can fight this i would appreciate it.

The only time this is normally done, is for pers on Imposed Restriction who are absent from their place of duty for more than 90 days or in some cases when for what ever reason, your posting to that location was "Prohibited".

Yeah, for a trained Reg Force single member living in Single Quarters -- this sort of thing simply isn't done.  The reference you need is the DND Living Accommodation Policy, which is referenced by DAOD 5024-0 and contains the eviction policy. Yes, you can be evicted for operational needs, but those needs don't include housing another member. Plus the reference is pretty clear that on eviction you have to have minimum 30 days notice to vacate.

I was a single guy living in Single Quarters during my second tour to Afghanistan, and I kept my room while I was in Kandahar, that's the policy.

Also, the building i'm housed in is owned and run by a civilian company but located on base, don't know if that affects anything, i pay the military for quarters. A MP friend is saying they can't do this if its my permanent address and listed on my drivers license, which it is, anyone know anything about that?

Toronto88 said:
A MP friend is saying they can't do this if its my permanent address and listed on my drivers license, which it is, anyone know anything about that?

That was the case a few years ago (not sure if it is now).  I was on my QL3 course in Borden and we did ambulance ride alongs as well as time in a hospital in Toronto.  Borden wanted us to move out of our rooms so that other students could move in and they wanted us to still pay for the quarters.  We were posted there and we were also coming back to Borden after the Toronto portion.  We went and spoke to the clerks at R&Q and they got it sorted out pretty darn quick.  :nod:

What you are describing sounds a lot like Moose Jaw.

If they force you into an ELQ, it will cost you the same amount as you are paying now, it won't cost you a penny more so don't worry about that. They put me in an ELQ (in that case it was sharing a PMQ with another guy), and I only payed the rate for single quarters.

As for them moving your stuff without you present, that's BS and I would go directly to my chain of command and fight it tooth and nail.

When I was in Moose Jaw, I went on TD for a career course for 4 months and they forced me to vacate my room before I left and I put my stuff in storage. This was actually a big plus, as R&Q are covered on TD, and since I wasn't paying anymore in Moose Jaw, I actually made a lot of money.

Is there any reference i can use in the whole moving my things without my presence thing? I'd be fine with moving if i was there, and like i said i told the warden weeks before i'd be i left and was never told i had to move out.
This is all happening as i have a big test tomorrow, just great.

The guy running the shacks is just a contractor trying to keep up his end of the contract. I'd start off by sending him an email stating explicitly that you do not authorize him or anybody else to remove your items from your room without you present, and demand he give you, in writing, the reference that allows him to do so. Remind him as well that he is leaving himself wide open to you filing a theft report with the military police if a single item is missing, and that you fully intend to do so.

That should buy you enough time to get your chain of command involved, and anybody with an ounce of sense in their head can see that this simply isn't right.

Back