• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Being for fired or let go for enlisting?

snasd17 said:
I guess I must have got lucky, my employer was aware I'm currently in the application process before I was even offered the job. I often have discussions with my boss and coworkers very openly about my desires to join the military as well. It's actually quite hard for me to even keep it a secret because I am young and am often asked what I want to ultimately do with my life career wise.
I am in sort of the boat at my current job, the guy that hired me knows I am trying to join, but as far as he knows my process hasn't progressed along haha........ Shhhhh.

When I first joined, the job I was in had an unpublished policy, no more than 13% military from any one unit.
The employer's reason, was if there is an exercise or call out, I'm not losing all of my staff at once.

Reading threads like this makes me so happy to be working in the oil patch up north. My boss is such a huge supporter of my plans to join the Forces and was so good with giving me time off to get stuff done down at the Vancouver recruitment centre.

I just got sacked from a small cleaning job, like a day after my swearing in ceremony, was pretty good money for the easy job I did. They said it would be an issue with reliability and some **** like that. I don't know if they can legally let us go if we are PRes, because the whole idea for the PRes is to hold a civilian life as well as a military? I know in legislation they are suppose to give us 30 days off for military service.

Metsuke said:
I don't know if they can legally let us go if we are PRes, because the whole idea for the PRes is to hold a civilian life as well as a military?

Reservists Job Protection Superthread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/2552.0.html

Metsuke said:
I know in legislation they are suppose to give us 30 days off for military service.

This is the Reservist Leave policy in Ontario:

"Employees who are reservists and who are deployed to an international operation or to an operation within Canada that is or will be providing assistance in dealing with an emergency or its aftermath (including search and rescue operations, recovery from national disasters such as flood relief, military aid following ice storms, and aircraft crash recovery) are entitled under the ESA to unpaid leave for the time necessary to engage in that operation. In the case of an operation outside Canada, the leave would include pre-deployment and post-deployment activities that are required by the Canadian Forces in connection with that operation."
http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/pubs/guide/reservist.php

snasd17 said:
I guess I must have got lucky, my employer was aware I'm currently in the application process before I was even offered the job. I often have discussions with my boss and coworkers very openly about my desires to join the military as well. It's actually quite hard for me to even keep it a secret because I am young and am often asked what I want to ultimately do with my life career wise.

Thank you for your expert advice on how lucky you are. Also, I wouldn't tell your interviewer youre bad at keeping secrets.

i've been now working for 4 years at the same place . full time job and told my employer that i was looking to join the army . Not because i dont like where i am at the moment but i'm just looking for a new path of career . My employer said that for sure he dont want me to leave but totally understand my choice of enrolling . i think here its different for everyone . Each one have a different situation so its kinda hard to give advice on that kind of matter  :salute:  but most of the time the best thing is to be honest.

Pwegman, check your PMs.

Back