• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Becoming a Pilot in the CF.

maniac779 said:
Are they still sending Pilot candidates to the Language school after IAP/BOTP these days?

It's either there or sit around on OJT for 18 months. 

Zoomie said:

If you were accepted under CEOTP, could you work on your degree while on OJT? I realize that they are supposed to do this part time, but I was wondering if some were able to study full time while on OJT.

Zoomie said:

This is where it gets confusing, they are only sending pilots to do SLT currently because of the long wait time, but, as it was explained to me you cannot be on the waiting list for another course while you're on course (SLT). So the 'official' waiting doesn't begin until you're DONE SLT. After basic, unless you are lucky and have a good base of french like i did, then expect 10mo of SLT and then 12mo of OJT, so nearly 2yrs until you log some CF flying time.

There is a way to get around this, and that is to take French at whatever base you are doing OJT at, be it full days or half days.

As for working on your uni degree, you realize that if you register for 3 courses (that includes distance learning) you are considered a full time student.  If you plan on actually attending classes your best bet would be to talk to you CoC at your OJT unit, although you probably would not be OK'd to go full time.

Astrodog said:
After basic, unless you are lucky and have a good base of french like i did, then expect 10mo of SLT and then 12mo of OJT, so nearly 2yrs until you log some CF flying time.

Did they extend the SLT course?  It used to be a max of 7 months.

Astrodog said:
Yup, from 33 to 44wks and min escape profile to BBB.

I saw that they upped it to 44 weeks, but the min profile to leave now is BBB?  I got out after 33 weeks, BAB and on my way.

Please someone correct me but my understanding is:

Old system:  IAP/BOTP on to french, DURING french get tentative dates for PFT, Sea Survival and AMT (maybe BSERE if you're lucky), AFTER french join the waiting list for Moose Jaw and continue on.

New System: IAP/BOTP on to french, stay on French for at least 11 weeks more, or until BBB is achieved, AFTER french get dates for PFT, Sea Survival, and AMT (Again maybe BSERE), AFTER PFT join the waiting list for Moose Jaw and continue.

Is this how they are scheduling the new guys coming in now?

Back