• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic at St-Jean Feb 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundborg

Inactive
Reaction score
I‘ll be starting my basic training on Feb 10th in St-Jean. I‘ll be a Naval Electronics Tech. (Tactical). I was wondering if there were any other people on this forum there are going to be starting basic the same time as myself; if so, it would be great to hear from you.

Sundborg I was wondering how long it took after you completed your file for recruiting that you heard you were going for basic training? Good luck!

Originally posted by wookie:
[qb] Sundborg I was wondering how long it took after you completed your file for recruiting that you heard you were going for basic training? Good luck! [/qb]
Well, originally, I applied for RMC back in January ‘03; I did all my testing in Feb ‘03. I did not get into RMC, so I decided to go as a NCM, and I made that decision in June. I could have been in the Infantry during the summer but I changed trades to something more technical. The trades I was applying for started to close and things like that, so it took a little longer than I expected.
I had to redo my Fitness test on Dec 5th ‘03 since my last one expired(can‘t go over 6 months). Then finally things got going again and there was a board held for my trade in early January and I was called on January 22nd with my offer.

I would have to say that it took under a year, but if I count it starting from June ‘03, then it only took roughly half a year. It all depends on what trade you are going for.

I must add that I will be on course # 0403A at St-Jean, so if there are any other people on these forums that will be on my course, hook me up! I am also swearing in on Feb 5th in Vancouver, then later that day I will be flying to Montreal and will be starting my course on the 10th.

Not a lot of navy people here on ‘army.ca‘ but I think all are welcome!

Just curious, how come you picked that trade? Did you want to learn a skill you could use after a CF career? Was it out of some long-desired interest? Were non-skilled navy trades just not appealing?

My family were all naval officers in the Royal Navy, and I had thought of joining the navy to continue the tradition. However, due to a lack of a degree, and because I already work full-time, I would have joined as a reserve NCM. Naval reserve in Toronto just didn‘t appeal to me. I just can‘t bring myself to referring to a perfectly good building as a "ship". ;)

Have fun, make the most of it at St-Jean.

Originally posted by portcullisguy:
[qb] Not a lot of navy people here on ‘army.ca‘ but I think all are welcome!

Just curious, how come you picked that trade? Did you want to learn a skill you could use after a CF career? Was it out of some long-desired interest? Were non-skilled navy trades just not appealing?

My family were all naval officers in the Royal Navy, and I had thought of joining the navy to continue the tradition. However, due to a lack of a degree, and because I already work full-time, I would have joined as a reserve NCM. Naval reserve in Toronto just didn‘t appeal to me. I just can‘t bring myself to referring to a perfectly good building as a "ship". ;)

Have fun, make the most of it at St-Jean. [/qb]
Well, the fact that I am navy doesn‘t mean that there will be any other army/air/navy personel on this board going on the same course, so I just had to see. :)

Yes I did pick this trade because of the technically training. I also picked it because I am a military person, and I have always be eager to get in. I am the 4 generation in my family in a row to go in the military, so it is in my blood.

The non skilled were not really in my liking. My dad knew what he was talking about, he told me not to get in a trade that had an operator position, due to it being like having shifts and less technical training. My dad was an ATIS Tech (226) for 24 years and was a retired WO.

I am also currently in Sea Cadets. I am a CPO1 and the coxswain of my corps, so that also had an influence on my trade choice.

And thanks, I will try to make St-Jean a great experience, but I am sure it will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back