• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Base closures?

The heat death of the universe will happen before the RCAF closes Cold Lake.

“B-but the jets must be next to the range!”

looks at RAAF base locations in south-eastern Australia and ranges near Darwin and Adelaide
Makes sense - you have to fly a full mission profile each time then if the ranges are further away than the next grid square...

There's a retention crisis at the moment, so I expect they'll close a base where the troops and their families have a good quality of life. Edmonton, Winnipeg, etc lol. Post them to the woods, those peasants.

The problem that exists is the need to relocate all the administration, infrastructure, eqpt, and pers (and their families) to another place.

I would love to hear from some of the 1994 Base Closure vets before we look at that COA. I'm certain it would have been more of a shit show for 1 CMBG to move to Edmo from Calgary, had all those empty hangars not been left by the RCAF.

We can't maintain the infrastructure we have, let alone generating new stuff. Consolidation has its own hurdles and I hope folks are thinking of that before they think its the panacea for balancing the budget.

"Winnipeg" and "quality of life" is an interesting flex ;)

That said, I doubt a minority government would engage in any base rationalization. At the best of times such a move drives significant short term costs...
Say what you will, there's no major city in this country except Edmonton where I can enjoy the same excellent quality of life. Not uncommon for my situation where 20-something year olds can buy a house comfortably and start life.

The heat death of the universe will happen before the RCAF closes Cold Lake.

“B-but the jets must be next to the range!”

looks at RAAF base locations in south-eastern Australia and ranges near Darwin and Adelaide
I mean it is actually really nice to get a hour plus play time when they check in. I don’t know what they do in Australia for that but I like being able to actually give a jet sensor tasks and work them vs spitting out a 9 line and having them call bingo.

I can think of at least two units that wouldn’t say no to be posted to everyone’s third favourite prairie city.

Say what you will, there's no major city in this country except Edmonton where I can enjoy the same excellent quality of life. Not uncommon for my situation where 20-something year olds can buy a house comfortably and start life.
Say What?

We will soon have modern air to air refuelers who will need operational training will we not?

We will soon have modern air to air refuelers who will need operational training will we not?
The stated intent is to have the fleet split between Trenton and a western location (still not formally decided). They will routinely train with the air communities that they will refuel; and conduct transportation of pax and materiel.

Back