• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Back Surgery - Your experiences

Gunner98

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
I am looking for personal observations regarding lower lumbar spine surgery as a result of herniated disc(s). Conversely any personal successes in overcoming disc degeneration/injury without the requirement for surgery.

Physio, chiro, medication, alternative therapy, surgery, recovery, etc.

Frostnipped Elf said:
I am looking for personal observations regarding lower lumbar spine surgery as a result of herniated disc(s). Conversely any personal successes in overcoming disc degeneration/injury without the requirement for surgery.

Physio, chiro, medication, alternative therapy, surgery, recovery, etc.

I sustained a "Critical Injury" ( in Ontario means they must call the Ministry of Labour in to investigate ) on a call ( I fell from a height ) in June 1996. 
Fractured right radius and a low back injury. After looking at my CT scan, the ortho surgeon told me my heavy lifting days were over. He reccomended surgery. I chickened out, and am glad I did.  I took physiotherapy only. The pain went away. I worked in the radio room for a while ( that was interesting ), and by Christmas was back on the street. 

Update- arthrotec and a back surgeon referral for now.  Makes me feel old(er).

I suffered a compression fracture to the two lowest discs of my back jumping in Croatia in 1999. At the time was in a lot of pain and xrays of my back resulted in comments `you are 40 and have the back of a 60 year old.` I was not doing to well with plain physio but the therapist at what was then NDMC also was an accupuncturist and I had about five sessions on my back and arm which I also had broken to the pôint I reqr a plate to be implanted. The accupuncture helped huge and shortly thereafter I stopped taking percocet for the pain. Ten years later my back hurts but I still am active-in fact I just played hockey with a bunch of mainly 20 somethings here in Orlando.

My advise, surgury if necessary, but not necessarily surgury, ie try all the alternatives first.

I had a L5 protruding disc and an irritated Sacroiliac Joint , I tried Physio on base and acupuncture  when I got sent home MRTU I decided to try something different started Chiropractic Treatment and I swore by it I couldn't believe after only one visit the improvements that i felt were astronomical and the cost was decent first visit 70$ subsequent adjustments 20$ . if you have any questions e-mail me hope I can help

Blythemousley@Gmail.com

Back