• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

B.C. school bans 'I Love Boobies' cancer bracelet

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
PC'edness gone wild....

Article Link
CTVNews.ca Staff Thursday Oct. 13, 2011 9:38 PM ET

Students at a middle school in Kelowna, B.C., have been told to leave their popular "I Love Boobies" bracelets at home, following similar bans imposed in some Ontario schools earlier this year.

The bracelets were created to support a breast cancer awareness campaign, but Kelowna School District Sup. Hugh Gloster says some students at Springvalley Middle School were not being mature about them.

Gloster says the students were using the bracelets more as a novelty item, rather than promoting awareness of breast cancer.

He says both parents and other students at the school found the bracelets to be offensive.

This isn't the first time the slogan has been banned from a school.
More on link

Wait! Wait! Wait!

The School board is banning something because they found out that "some students" at the "middle school" level "were not being mature" about something that is going on there.

Wouldn't that logic carried out to its logical conclusion lead to every single  thing going on at the middle school level being banned? I mean, there will always be some student at that level that will act in an immature fashion.

I have to say that the bracelets were obviously designed to provoke a reaction.  Let's face it.  I think more people are likely to buy an "I love boobies" bracelet than a "let's find a cure for women's cancers" bracelet.  In other words, it's an opportunity for people to be rebellious without being too rebellious. 

For the record, I do love boobies :nod:, but I digress.

My son's middle school principal did in fact ban the bracelets until a group of students went to her and presented a well-thought argument as to why the bracelets should be allowed.  The ban was lifted and students at my son's school are now allowed to wear them.  More than one lesson was learned that day.

GAP said:
PC'edness gone wild....

Article Link
CTVNews.ca Staff Thursday Oct. 13, 2011 9:38 PM ET

Students at a middle school in Kelowna, B.C., have been told to leave their popular "I Love Boobies" bracelets at home, following similar bans imposed in some Ontario schools earlier this year.

The bracelets were created to support a breast cancer awareness campaign, but Kelowna School District Sup. Hugh Gloster says some students at Springvalley Middle School were not being mature about them.

Gloster says the students were using the bracelets more as a novelty item, rather than promoting awareness of breast cancer.

He says both parents and other students at the school found the bracelets to be offensive.

This isn't the first time the slogan has been banned from a school.
More on link

Seems to me this "novelty item" (because that is exactly what all those bracelets are, regardless of purpose) are doing exactly what they were were intended to do.  Clever marketing, this so called "controversy" just adds fuel to their awareness fire.

Pusser said:
For the record, I do love boobies :nod:, but I digress.

+1.  Who doesn't?

To follow their example, For lesser campaigned cancers, prostate for example, they should create similar bracelets, perhaps with the slogan "save the as$holes" to create awareness and more "controversy" in the hopes of raising funds for that cause. 

ColdNorth said:
To follow their example, For lesser campaigned cancers, prostate for example, they should create similar bracelets, perhaps with the slogan "save the as$holes" to create awareness and more "controversy" in the hopes of raising funds for that cause.

I doubt it.  Folks are too anal for that.

Pusser said:
My son's middle school principal did in fact ban the bracelets until a group of students went to her and presented a well-thought argument as to why the bracelets should be allowed.  The ban was lifted and students at my son's school are now allowed to wear them.  More than one lesson was learned that day.

I really like that. Shows some flexibility on the part of the administration, and teaches a good lesson to those kids.

Pusser said:
I doubt it.  Folks are too anal for that.
Haha, I think that the said tagline would be better for colon cancer. Prostate would be better off with save the "Confirmation Of Combat Knowledge"

Sapperian said:
Haha, I think that the said tagline would be better for colon cancer. Prostate would be better off with save the "Confirmation Of Combat Knowledge"

Well in my case with testicular cancer, you could also just say "I like nuts"..

Back