• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

B-1B At Kandahar

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/10/airforce_b1b_kandahar_071027w/
air_b1bbomber_khandahar_287.jpg

Broken B-1B flown from Afghanistan for repairs
Staff report
Posted : Saturday Oct 27, 2007 6:36:31 EDT

How many airmen does it take to get a broken B-1B Lancer bomber out of Afghanistan?

Hundreds, from veteran pilots who flew the crippled bomber to maintainers who pulled out the damaged engine.

On Aug. 26 a B-1B bomber made an emergency landing at Kandahar Airfield in southern Afghanistan after the jet’s No. 4 engine caught fire.

While investigators set about to discover what went wrong, teams from Air Force Materiel Command were summoned to figure how to get the $238 million bomber out of Afghanistan and to a friendlier location where the aircraft could be repaired.

Among the Materiel Command units summoned were:

* 419th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., where aircrews had background on flying a B-1B with three engines and other difficult circumstances.

* 10th Flight Test Squadron at Tinker Air Force Base, Okla., which conducts functional check flights on B-1Bs following depot level maintenance. The squadron also has operational risk management experts.

* 555th Aircraft Sustainment Squadron, Tinker, where engineers provided technical analysis needed for damage assessment and repair.

* 654th Combat Logistics Support Squadron, Tinker, whose members have expertise in aircraft battle damage repair.

* Directorate of Air, Space and Information Operations, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, which looked at past cases involving B-1B flights with three engines and evaluated the risks.

“We discussed potential hazards and mitigating conditions with Tinker engineers and aircrews from the 10th and 419th before approving the recommendation for a one-time flight movement for this B-1,” Dr. Dave Jerome, deputy director of the command’s Air, Space and Information Operations, said in an Air Force statement.

The plan to fly the B-1B on three engines out of Kandahar finally got a green light. The jet took off on Oct. 2 for a one-stop flight that eventually landed the bomber at RAF Fairford in England, where Air Force teams are working to make the plane fully airworthy.

ya you think our sea kings are bad...  great bomber but it's the most labour intensive plane in the military, something like 28 man hours per 1 hour of flying time.

- I watched one drop Mark 83s in the CFB Wainwright annex two years ago.  Very impressive.

I nearly got run over by one in my forklift. Ahh Maple Flag in Cold Lake. the memories

B-1Bs last year, helping Danes (1:52, 3:41):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd0osZoVjhU

Mark
Ottawa

Nice video.  I was surprised on how low the B-1 was.  I am no air force expert but I would have suspected that they would have been dropping their payload from a very high altitude.

Back