• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Awarding vice Winning" of Medals

Pat in Halifax

Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
I tried to find a thread remotely related to this question but could not. If I have gone about this all the wrong way - my bad - my apologies. Here goes:
I notice many publications and websites, including here utilize the term "win" when it applies to medals. The word "awarded" fits just as well and in my (albiet humble) opinion, it plain sounds better. I find this especially true for medals which are, or could be awarded posthumously. If someone won the Victoria Cross, for example, but died doing so, what has anyone won. I admit, there may be a reason for this as even most of the official citations use the wording.
We actually refrain from using the word in the present; ie: I did not win my CFPM or SWASM etc, I rec'd or was awarded it. So why do we all, myself included at times, feel so comfortable using this wording. A pet peeve yes but unless I am missing something very critical here, maybe we, as a group, are in a position to change this.
While I am at it...and this one really gets me!...."I sailed with the HMCS TORONTO" should be "I sailed with HMCS TORONTO"...note, no 'the'. The spelling is NOT mine but this is straight out of some pub I stumbled across:
"9. In the title HCMS or HMS, HMAS, etc., the letter H represents on of two pronouns, His or Her. In English, an article such as "the" is never placed in front of a pronoun. Thus: "The HMCS CALGARY..." is incorrect. "

Okay, I am done. I can now rest easy for the weekend as I hope I have given some new fodder to a few of you!!!!

Good one!

How about this:

Newscasters constantly refer to 2PPCLI as "the 2 PPCLI". It should either be "2PPCLI" or Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

And we were never that Light either!!  ;D

OldSolduer said:
Newscasters constantly refer to 2PPCLI as "the 2 PPCLI". It should either be "2PPCLI" or Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

Or even "A bunch of guys who sometimes dress somewhat alike."  >:D

I personally state ships as "The Toronto" or "HMCS Toronto", never "the HMCS Toronto". As well, when referring to PPCLI I say "1 pick" or I write "I VP". That's just me though.

OldSolduer said:
Good one! How about this:
Newscasters constantly refer to 2PPCLI as "the 2 PPCLI". It should either be "2PPCLI" or Second Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry. And we were never that Light either!!  ;D
Other common errors are:
Honour Guard rather than the correct Guard of Honour
Half Staff rather than the correct Half mast
reviewing the guard rather than the correct inspecting the guard
Reveille rather than the correct Rouse
colour guard rather than the correct colour party
knowing the difference between a flag party and a colour party
A troop is a military unit not an individual soldier.  A group of soldiers may be troops.

OldSolduer said:
Good one!

How about this:

And we were never that Light either!!  ;D

I've also seen us referred to as, Princess Patricias Light Infantry (I guess we're not Canadian anymore). But the best was years ago when the third battalion was in Esquimalt, Pacific Patricias Canadian Light Infantry! :eek:

Good to see we are focousing on the important issues again

a_beautiful_tragedy said:
Tower, this is Ghost Rider. Requesting a flyby - Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.
  That was a movie loosely based on the US Navy as told by Hollywood (the industry).  Still a Fly Past in Canada and the Commonwealth.

gwp said:
knowing the difference between a flag party and a colour party
Colour party denotes Honour's and Awards (IE Battle History  Battle Flag/Gideon.) Flag party denotes flags

my72jeep said:
Colour party denotes Honour's and Awards (IE Battle History  Battle Flag/Gideon.) Flag party denotes flags

Someone should explain that to the Legion.  I cringe every time I hear one of their Sergeants at Arms give the order to "march on the colour party."

Michael O`Leary said:
Someone should explain that to the Legion.  I cringe every time I hear one of their Sergeants at Arms give the order to "march on the colour party."
I did with my local Legion

"Flyiing suit" (Canadian), not "flight suit" (American).

Back