• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Avionics Systems Technician ( AVS )

It's been a while since we chatted Occam...

I agree with you, and believe me, if I could get ATIS then I would take it! It doesn't seem to be open... however I will certainly ask the BPSO if that's a possibility since it would be MUCH easier to fit into that trade. Unfortunately, the longer former LCIS now ACISS CST goes without spec-pay, the more people you will see trying to get into ATIS.

I've resolved to the fact that if I can't get an IS related tech position in Airforce, then AVS would be my choice.

I've been lucky enough to be somewhere where I was able to be a tech and learn the newly upgraded comm suites in armored vehicles better than most people at other units. However I think now is the time for me to start asking about other options.

I'm sure there are former LCIS now AVS that can share their experience....

Ah, now I've clued in. 

Good luck.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Have you ruled out rubberheads?  They do a lot of IT, in their own secret-squirrelly world - and they get spec pay after QL5.

Occam said:
Have you ruled out rubberheads?  They do a lot of IT, in their own secret-squirrelly world - and they get spec pay after QL5.

Not the IT he has experience in. I doubt he'd ever touch the inside of a PC again if he was CommRsch.

PuckChaser said:
Not the IT he has experience in. I doubt he'd ever touch the inside of a PC again if he was CommRsch.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing.  ;)

Half the people working at TSAANS (or whatever they're calling themselves this week) in Ottawa are current or retired 291ers.

I'm a retired AVS tech. There is no strong negatives about this trade, in fact it is very similar to ATIS except I think ATIS is more hands on than AVS. Most of us work on the aircraft and a minority work in "Labs." When I taught POET I would often recommend AVS or ATIS, it depends on own preference. I like aircraft and the systems found on fighter aircraft so for me it was the right place to be.

Thank you for the info guys... much appreciated.

Just curious why there seems to always be more people needed for this trade. Is it the job itself, or is the training too tough?

I have my appointment booked for a few weeks from now. Any recommendations for the interview? Never talked to a PSO before...

Can't see it being the job, perhaps the training/job description scares some off. :)

Hi everyone I have been searching the forums for info and am not finding answers to everything so if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Avs Tech
-Whats the day to day job like
-What training is involved?
-If your married are you posted during training or is it some form of a prohibited posting?
-What are some of the postings?
-Highlights of the job?
-Where are the courses and what are their lengths?
-When does someone Private  3 move to Corporal
-Is this shift work?
-Are there over seas postings?
-Is there Ship time?

Thanks again everyone

There is a recruiting website that answers 90% of your questions.

-You can be posted from anywhere between BC to NS.
-Courses depend on aircraft type after 3's.
-You become Cpl after QL5 qualified and 4 years.
-Yes there is shift work, yes there are ship postings.

SilentRanks said:
Hi everyone I have been searching the forums for info and am not finding answers to everything so if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Avs Tech

BMQ, POET, Common Core, and your basis trade training to start, followed by your type specific stuff once you are posted.

-If your married are you posted during training or is it some form of a prohibited posting?

I have a few friends who were OT's to AVN tech who had their family move to the school (CFSATE) in Borden On while they did their trg.  Call it a 'case by case' thing unless someone comes along to verify the current School policy.

Go to the RCAF website and look at the location of the 13 Wings from BC to Nfld.  That's a good guess for a first posting.

All initial trg is in Borden except POET (Kingston ON).  Not sure on lengths.  Ballpark POET for 6 months though.  Everyone starts with BMQ in St Jean Qc. 

Normally Cpl is 48 months of service.  If you have your QL5 done, once you get Cpls you start getting Spec pay.

-Is this shift work?
-Is there Ship time?

There could be shift work at various places.  Sailing would be expected if you got posted to Shearwater NS or Pat's Bay BC and were fixin' stuff for the Maritime Helicopter (MH) folks.

Some info above for you in yellow text.  I'm not a AVS or AVN, etc type but some rough info until a 500 series comes along that knows the score.

[size=24pt][size=24pt]
SilentRanks said:
[size=10pt]
I am a retired AVS tech, from the 104 and Voodoo world and some other stuff to old to be relative to your questions.
Check out my profile and you will see a variety of postings and aircraft.
I loved my work, I love flying and aircraft, I like learning and fixing things. Good traits for this trade.
-

Whats the day to day job like.
[size=14pt]Labs -where you work on black system boxes, maintenance -big checks on the aircraft, snags- work repairing equipment faults and Servicing helping start, park and turnaround the aircraft.
SilentRanks said:
[/size]

-Highlights of the job?
-Is this shift work?
-Are there over seas postings?
-Is there Ship time?

[size=14pt]Most of your questions have already been answered, the Forces recruiting site has some good general info.
[/size]
Thanks again everyone

Edited many times in an attempt to enlarge font.

Thank you so much everyone my husband is doing a COR to AVS so this information really helps and "Baden Guy" we are going to check out your profile thanks so much

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/re-enrollment.page?

Folks if you are a skilled AVS tech and you have been out for less than 5 years (in some cases longer than 5 years) and you are looking to re-enrol go to the link I posted - it's for Skilled Air Force Managed Occupations.  NCM or Officer, we will assist you back into service.  We will do our best to find you a job through direct conversation with the Career Manager before you put your application in . 

The Air Force needs skilled AVS techs and skilled pilots; call me, leave a message, or fire me an email.  If you are a pilot I'll send you to my co-worker who just finished going through the re-enrolment process himself.

Can't hurt ..

Quirky said:
There is a recruiting website that answers 90% of your questions, [size=10pt][size=12pt]10% of the time and with no real concern for accuracy.

Thought I would help finish your lead in statment for you.

Baden  Guy said:
Did I do good John ?  ;D

:)  I worked on the Voodoo and 104 also .. those were many years ago but yes anytime someone helps advertise the good work AVS and the other 500 series do it is good :)  cheers

SilentRanks said:
Does anyone know when the next POET starts and when the next course in Borden is?

Checked with a MCpl in Kingston about POET course; it starts in January and in February.

QL3 was reformatted last year, I am not sure about that.

Back