• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aviation Systems Technician ( AVN Tech )

Just a couple quick points...

First to clarify the tool question, personal tools are not allowed for use on CF aircraft for flight safety reasons (FOD hazard).  Secondly, regardless of where you may be stationed, the role of the Airforce is to not to provide jobs for people at home in Canada - it's to be able to deploy anywhere and carry out its assigned missions.  So with that in mind, you'll all be deploying and spending time under canvas at some point.

Cheers.

Thanks X-Rigger and others.

Working in Hangars and home airports is great, but I personally hope to spend some time "under the canvas." That's if i get my first choice.

mbhabfan said:
funny you mention that, it is my worst fear.   I don't want to be away from my family for that long at a time.   It is nice to see others with the desire to do it.   If I was 18 again it would be great but not now.

The go work for air canada !

You are not joining a discount airline here......This is the military, if you'll remember, and alot of times the job needs to be done in some far away land, far from freinds and family.  If that is your worst fear, you are joining the wrong line of work, no matter what age you are.

IF YOU ARE NOT DEPLOYABLE, YOU ARE NOT EMPLOYABLE

I don't think I have ever seen a topic about AVN's on board ship's and I have a few questions so here goes. If anyone here on the boards has ever been, it would be great to hear your advice.

I'm leaving for basic in a few days, then i'm off for my MOC course (AVN), but I was wondering if someone can get attached to a ship right out of their MOC training? I would really like to be an AVN on board before i'm actually settled down on land. How long is an AVN attached to the ship before they can go serve on a land squadron? If someone with experience in this field could fill me in on this stuff it would be appreciated a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry SierraAir- but you are going to have to spend a while ashore first at either 423 or 443 Sqn (I assume that you realize that only Sea King Techs go to sea...).  You need your POM (performance of maintenance) signed off first.  The reason for this is that bunks are in short supply aboard everything except the AORs and the Air Department onboard cannot afford to carry much in the way of trainees and still function.  A typical frigate det at sea has an MWO, a Sgt, 2-3 MCpls and and 6-7 Cpls for a total of 11 maintainers.  I seem to recall the split being 60/40 AVN/AVS, just because of the work load, but I may have that wrong.  I can only ever recall seeing a Pte tech at sea once- it was a local cruise and he didn't get to do much but sweep the hangar and fill one of the damage control positions for flying stations.
Now, that said, as soon as you arrive on Sqn, make it known to your Sgt and your MWO that you want to go to sea as soon as possible. I'm certain that your training package will be accelerated.

You will probably quickly run into those who would tell you to actively avoid sea duty and will give you all kinds of horror stories about life onboard.  Don't believe even half of them.  At sea, you will work harder then you ever have before in your life under some difficult conditions. You will be placed in danger on the deck as you work around a running helo on a pitching ship. You will also travel the world, make friends for life, have great adventures and gain a feeling of accomplishment that you never knew existed by helping to keep a 40 year old aircraft launching and recovering safely in some of the toughest flying conditions in the world. 

Welcome to naval aviation!

That should have clicked in my head that you needed to be signed off first before going to sea. It's something I would really like to do, so i'll just wait until i'm all said and done with everything first before I get to carried away. Thanks for the info SeaKingTacco.

Well I'll be at CFSATE in January 06,

Could someone please give some details on the daily routine and the type of accomodations to expect.  How many per room, inspections etc...

Thanks

As a guy who has been both in the Combat Arms and AVN I can tell you that the grass is greener.  Inspections are just a bit different.  They don't look for stupidness, just cleanliness basically and boots, easy enough really.  The attitude is more of a working environment oriented more towards furthering technical skill sets than military nonsense, although that can depend on your boss.  Just some points.

I'm waiting to start my QL-3 (avn) and am also looking forward to going to sea out of shearwater.
Although it probably wont be sea kings anymore by then.

I'm about to start my AVN tech training and I would prefer a posting to shearwater when I'm done.
I've heard that AVN's dont work on Cormorants because there under "warranty" and that the work is done by civies.
Any truth to that?
But the reason i'm writing is that soon the seakings will be replaced by the new cyclones and I wouldn't really want to go to Shearwater
to watch civies work on the choppers for me.
Could someone please enlighten me? ???

Cyclone will be militraily maintained...Shearwater and Pat Bay are only the land-bases, there are the HELAIRDETs on CPFs, 280s and the Perserver (or is it Protecteur sailing now?) that all will have military technicians maintain the helicopters.

Cheers,
Duey

Duey has it basically correct.  Cyclones will be maintained by military techs.  You will serve both ashore and on ship with the Cyclone.

Cormorants are maintained by IMP (ie civilian technicians)

In 1974 I was stationed onboard HMCS Fraser as an Instrument/Electrical Tech on the Sea King,  it was a great experience, althouth I was out of my element in more ways than one (RCAF). I can tell you the Sea King and deployment made me a much  better tradesman and very confident in my abilities. Fly at it Kid it will be a Hoot.

I worked for IMP as their OH&S Nurse. 
Yes, they do indeed hold the contract for the Cormorants and probably 1/2 of the work force their are retired CF members.

Cheers

I have applied to AVN Tech and given recruit school by-pass, and have filled out the application and stat-dec for Common Law status, and was wondering if anyone might know how long it takes to get a PMQ in Borden after arriving there?  And I assume that I would be there before I brought my family with me and how long after I would arrive would they get to come with me.??

Recently had to choose between two trades; AVS and AVN tech; what a choice!
Am a electromechanic in automated systems in the civi world, which has the best of both worlds without the adventure and the high tech title beside the fact that it's nearly impossible to get any stability with a civi company.
Have a question for anyone with some experience in any of the two trades and it's as follows "Electrically speaking which part of the plane does the AVS tech stop at and AVN tech take over?", i.e is the solenoid that activates any hydraulic component on the plane an AVN job or AVS, my guess AVN, but would like to get more info.

Depends on the fleet.....but in herc world, taterheads (AVS) now do AC/DC up to the generator...but they won't change them. Lights are an AVS thing also...used to be Avn. But Avn still do electrical related to an engine or airframe specific part....meaning, a solenoid on an airframe part is done by an Avn type.............In Griffon world, the Avs pretty much does everything with a cannon plug, as far as repairs anyways.....Seaking world, when I was there, Avn did all the old IE trade stuff.  But with the lack of knowledge for new Avn types, no poet for Avn and former IE techs diminishing, Avs are taking over that role........But like I said...depends on the fleet. Each fleet has different trains of thought on what the taterheads do in respect to the old IE job that was given to the Avn when the trades were merged. Want to get dirty, Avn........want to stay clean and watch star trek at work, Avs :p  But seriously, it's up to you. Anything else, ask away...I used to be AE, AVN and now an FE.

Thanks for your hasty response Bison33, much appreciated. Forgive my lack of knowledge on all military abreviations, am I right in deducting that you were a former AVN tech remustered to AVS tech i.e FE?
With your experience would you say that AVS is more high tech than AVN, especially with the new Hercs and C-17(globemasters) coming into service and how much time monthly would you say an AVS tech spends in a lab as opposed to in the aircraft?
Understanding that it may be difficult to quantify time monthly, any examples are welcome.
Thanks ahead of time.

Back