• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aviation Systems Technician ( AVN Tech )

How mechanically minded should a person who is seeking to enter the AVN trade be?

The trade looks very appealing to me, however i've never been one to come home from work and tear apart a vehicle to fix something outside of basic maintenance. It's not for lack of interest mind you, but lack of a proper workspace and tools.

That said, I can generally disassemble any object and reassemble it correctly provided I have a moderate amoutn of time and the correct tools available. (and sometimes if I don't!)

Having a mechanical background helps, but is not necessary.  Pay attention to the way that the folks you work with go about their jobs, you'll pick up the mindset in no time. 

They'll teach you most of what you need in the training system, the rest you'll gain with practical experience.

Sorry to dig up an older thread but this seemed like a good spot to ask my question. I've spent many hours reading through a lot of posts here and have found some great information and insight.  But trying to find out some more info specific to AVN techs.

Currently Reserve Navy, but strongly considering going Reg Force AVN Tech.

How much time do AVN techs spend "away from home" (as in away from where's your posted to).  The reason I don't want to go reg force navy is you spend a HUGE amount of you time on ship or at sea and people will spend large chunks of there time away.

As part of the military I understand you can't always be with your loved ones (husband, kids, etc...), and I'm fine with 2-3 months away at a time for training or the occasional 6 month deployment, but I'm not as keen on spending say 10-15 years of a 25 year career from my family that seems to be common in the navy.

Generally, if you are on a land-based fleet (fixed wing) you spend most of your time at the base. There are some excersises where you go away for a month at a time, but nothing to the extent of what the Navy goes through.

Hey,
my bmq course is finishing in 3 weeks from the 4th of jan and whats really bothering me right now is the waiting list for the avn tech course.
Supposedly it's going to be 12 months or so, and that's  a huge amount of time. Does anyone have an approximate waiting list?

As a side note I was told by an instructor that if a waiting time for a crouse is longer than 6 months I get to choose a base to work on as long as the waiting time is.
I've asked a Ltv(N) and he's asked a  Sergeant about this and supposedly this is what's supposed to happen.

I'm just confused right now with this damned Avn tech course, Does anyone have a clear insight in this?

Metlica said:
Hey,
my bmq course is finishing in 3 weeks from the 4th of jan and whats really bothering me right now is the waiting list for the avn tech course.
Supposedly it's going to be 12 months or so, and that's  a huge amount of time. Does anyone have an approximate waiting list?

As a side note I was told by an instructor that if a waiting time for a crouse is longer than 6 months I get to choose a base to work on as long as the waiting time is.
I've asked a Ltv(N) and he's asked a  Sergeant about this and supposedly this is what's supposed to happen.

I'm just confused right now with this damned Avn tech course, Does anyone have a clear insight in this?

Well, I'm at 8ams in Trenton, and we've received a couple of PAT members, who go on rotations through the different shops to get exposure to the avn trade.  I haven't heard about this 'choosing your base' thing if you're on PAT for over 6 months, because not all bases need, or can take care of having PATs...  Trenton's a big one, I've seen a couple of people end up in Comox, Winnipeg, Greenwood...  Or they can just stick you with a long-term posting in Borden working with supply, or at the cadet camp, or running a canteen somewhere.  Not a bad gig, just stay busy and you'll get through it.  I"ve heard the current wait times are between 6 and 8 months, so don't lose too much hope yet.  It's frustrating, but you'll get there...  At least your course is only 9-11 months, not 16-18 like mine was =)...  But I made it through, and the job is amazing.  I love the hercs, and Trenton's a pretty decent base to live on.  Good luck...  If you need any info on the avn stuff, feel free to PM me anytime.

J

Hey I'm trying to find a good place to start my AVN career. I have 3 kids who are in grade school so I really need a place that has facilities/activities to entertain and keep them busy. I guess the main thing I am looking for is a good family friendly posting.
1. Victoria
2. Halifax
3. Moosejaw

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think it really matter where you want to go.... The CF will send you where they need you.

Your question is too vague, you could get strong recommendations for or against a place from someone that you have nothing in common with.

Try this:

List the possible postings.
Identify and strike out any you really don't want to end up at (but don't be surprised if you do).
Of the remainder, research which ones have the nearby facilities to support what you like to do in your off hours (weekends get pretty long if you're not prepared to do anything).
Examine other factors that might affect your quality of life.
Start ranking the locations by which ones will best offer you what you want.

After you've done that initial assessment, come back with pointed questions to help refine your list and your understanding of the locations you haven't yet crossed off as preferences.

If your looking for a quite family oriented community Greenwood is a great choice too, there are tons of AVN positions there, the only problem is your spouse could have difficulty finding work. Make sure you research all the options before putting the three choices down, junior AVN techs are looking at 5-7 years for their initial posting. Also Moose Jaw is very unlikely simply because of low numbers of positions, but it never hurts to try!

Anyone know of the in and outs of a NCM posting to a USAF base?  Apparently there are restrictions on the size of rental of a residence depending on the rank of the individual;. must rent vice purchase , otherwise no home purchase benefits; and any web sites that can be used for assistance.

Any info would be appreciated.

They're few and far between... the only folks I know of who have spent time in the states as techs were WO and above.  What kind of posting did you have in mind?

any information/experiences, do's and don't,  to add to the following:

Aside from the usual Web sites for researching housing, there are a few military-specific Web sites, such as:

www.militarybyowner.com

www.off-basehousing.com

www.militaryavenue.com

www.pcsamerica.net

I just wanted to thank Sparkplugs for the insight, and Metlica for raising the issue. I recently went through a rank reversion, from OCdt to Pte, which took 7 months to finally go through. Now I'm sitting here waiting on a posting message for my AVN Tech QL3s, and nobody at the unit was able to give me any insight at all about approximate wait times or anything. It's already been 2 months waiting for a posting message and I was starting to get curious as to what the hold up was. Glad to hear an approximate waiting time so I can actually get settled in and relax. It'll get here when it gets here.

I'm still living out of boxes. When I moved last year I was told not to unpack, that I wouldn't have time to get comfortable...

On that note, I have a question for anyone that could provide some more insight. I have heard from individuals on course that in order to get a PMQ (assuming availability) you have to be married, common-law, or have dependants. I have heard from others that I will not be getting a PMQ while on course regardless of my common-law status. Is anybody here in the know?

In Borden, you won't get a Q unless you're common-law, married, or have partial custody of dependants.  Even being a pregnant girl doesn't guarantee you one, believe it or not, we saw that with one female!  But if you're commonlaw, there's a good chance.  There are a ton of people in Borden, so you might have to wait a bit, one guy on my course had to wait 3 months, but 3 months out of 18 he spent there isn't so bad.  Cheers!

Kid_X said:
I just wanted to thank Sparkplugs for the insight, and Metlica for raising the issue. I recently went through a rank reversion, from OCdt to Pte, which took 7 months to finally go through. Now I'm sitting here waiting on a posting message for my AVN Tech QL3s, and nobody at the unit was able to give me any insight at all about approximate wait times or anything. It's already been 2 months waiting for a posting message and I was starting to get curious as to what the hold up was. Glad to hear an approximate waiting time so I can actually get settled in and relax. It'll get here when it gets here.

I'm still living out of boxes. When I moved last year I was told not to unpack, that I wouldn't have time to get comfortable...

On that note, I have a question for anyone that could provide some more insight. I have heard from individuals on course that in order to get a PMQ (assuming availability) you have to be married, common-law, or have dependants. I have heard from others that I will not be getting a PMQ while on course regardless of my common-law status. Is anybody here in the know?

Kid_X said:

You could try to get an apartment in Barrie or in the area. I know of a few people that did that. One went so far as to buy a house one day....what is CFSATE going to do then? Order him to sell it?  ::)

belka said:
You could try to get an apartment in Barrie or in the area. I know of a few people that did that. One went so far as to buy a house one day....what is CFSATE going to do then? Order him to sell it?  ::)

You are amazing.  What is CFSATE, no the CF, going to do?  They may just tell him that he is not entitled to any reimbursement of any fees involved in the purchase or resale of the house.  Everything is out of his pocket, with no compensation.  That is what they can do, depending on the circumstances.  Your putting ideas like this, right or wrong, in peoples minds could be costly for some.  Did you know how much this person had in their bank account?  Was he fairly well off/wealthy and could afford such an investment with no financial concerns?  This is an extreme and exceptional case and one that is not wise to be boasting about, as many will not be as well off as this guy appears to have been, and in turn become Administrative Burdens on the CF and face Release.

Shake your head......

belka said:

Well, having spent two years at CFSATE, I can tell you that we had a guy on course who was from Barrie, had an apartment there, and they didn't give a crap.  He had to pay rations and quarters just like the rest of us, and he also paid for his apartment.  He still had to show up to his barracks room every friday morning for room inspections as well.  Another guy was in the same boat, put up his girlfriend in an apartment in Barrie and expected the military to let him live there, but they made him pay for both places as well, they told him it was a stupid thing he did to get a lease and then beg for forgiveness.  He ended up marrying her so he could get out of rations and quarters, and less than a year later, they're divorced.  Can't say that's a rare thing, either.  Scamming the system by declaring false commonlaw, or getting married for the sake of getting a pmq or apartment ends up backfiring more often than not.  I wouldn't be risking it.  Good lord, have some integrity.

Suck it up, deal with the way things are, and they'll get better later.  I dealt with two years of shacks before I ended up being able to afford to share a pmq.  Things are great now, and yes, paying almost $700 a month in r&q sucks, but it's all part of it.  Cheers.

Back