• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Avatar Upload - converts GIF to PNG

DG-41

Inactive
Reaction score
I've just noticed that when avatars are uploaded, they are converted to .png for some reason.

This isn't a problem when using Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox and its derivatives as a browser, but IE doesn't seem to render PNG tranparency correctly.

My "pennant" avatar currently shows this problem. It displays correctly on Mozilla etc, but on IE has shows up with a grey background.

I suspect there's a forum config option somewhere that automatically saves .GIF as .PNG for some reason... if that's not being done for some explicit reason, it shouldprobably be turned off.

DG

PNG was used by default because it [generally] provides a better quality image. Too bad IE hasn't caught up with the standard yet... The good news is that it appears to render properly in IE7. In the mean time, I've reverted to using JPG format.

Whoops - that's even worse, as JPG doesn't support transparency. See revised avatar picture.

Isn't there an option for "do not convert image"?

DG

Unfortunately not, all avatars are resized on upload to ensure we're not looking at some ungodly huge image for some users. :)

I'll set it back to PNG, which seems better.  :-\

This might fix it:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/

DG

Thanks, that's good info... I'll pass it on to the folks who wrote the forum software.

Cheers
Mike

I wondered why my avatar had the grey background at work (IE) but not at home (Mozilla).  Interesting.

I wonder... if you resize it to be no more than 65x65 before you upload it, the forums *shouldn't* try to resize it and leave your image as is... That may allow it to show properly in all browsers...

RecceDG said:
This might fix it:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/

DG

I, using IE6, sp2, see it now: a black over gold pennant, white background.

Back