• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Authority between members of the same rank

Further to my last, $10 says these two have a history and this is just another chapter...  ;)

Good2Golf said:
Further to my last, $10 says these two have a history and this is just another chapter...  ;)

DING DING DING !!!!!!

YOU ARE AT THE POSITION OF "ATTENTION"!

Seems to me like this is "on course" behaviour, not Garrison behaviour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwz5JT2KnT4

But, IMLO, if you've been asked, you've been tasked.
Just Fuck*ng do it.

No one' s gonna die from standing at Attention for a briefing.

This pee-pee measuring contest seems silly (to an outsider).

Good2Golf said:

BINGO!!! What took you so long to find this?

As my Cuban mother-in-law used to say, "No hay una segunda oportunidad para ejercer autoridad" (there is no second chance to exercise power), which, I respectfully submit, is THE favorite quote of Cpl A. :nod:

There seems to be a lot of conjecture on here as to what exactly is going on between these two.  Without knowing that, we can't assign blame.

However, as for solving it, I can just IMAGINE the conversation ( one sided, all the way) that these two would have with their WO if it was brought to his attention. 

Better things to worry about for each of them.  :facepalm:

It's not uncommon to see a Capt lead Majors, LCols and Cols in the Fighter Force.  I'd day whoever has been appointed in charge/OPI/Lead/Whatever you call it has the final authority.

SupersonicMax said:
It's not uncommon to see a Capt lead Majors, LCols and Cols in the Fighter Force.

Same in the LRP world.

The much simpler answer I give to my trainees on leadership courses is Cpl/OCdt Bloggins is section senior and derives that authority from the person who put him/her in charge, i.e me.

Generally speaking, few candidates will mess with the appointed person in charge because for all practical purposes that means messing with me.

Cpl A has been appointed into a leadership position by someone in the CoC, and derives his authority from the CoC. If Cpl B or anyone else wants to complain about the form of the briefing, there are various approved means to do so. If they choose to go outside those bounds, then they will be on the receiving end of a Sgt or WO's jacking/disciplinary action, and for good reason.

Jim Seggie said:
You never served in Cyprus. Privates and corporals stood to attention when briefing anyone of higher rank or appointment.

Did this many times. 

Funny story.  I had a "friend" that was caught by surprise by a line tour.  At C-73, while taking a leak across the roof top from the OP, he noticed a line tour approaching.  He did his best to finish up, zip up and get to his place for his brief.  He snapped to attention, rifle saluted and started the standard brief.  The old combats having much less camouflage on them, greatly contrasted the dark patch of dampness running down his pant leg.  The IC of the line tour cut him some slack, dismissed him and gave him a E for effort.   

Jim Seggie said:
You never served in Cyprus. Privates and corporals stood to attention when briefing anyone of higher rank or appointment.

Yeah, and those were the days when the Brigade Commander thought he was doing his job by inspecting the Battalions socks.

Thank f**k we've left those chicks**t, "old-school" days behind....

Alright there seems to be a lot of passionate opinions on the matter. To be honest there's no dick measuring contest/history or anything of the matter. It was just a question of technicality. Also in regard to custom those "standing to attention" brief are asked of new members in the coalition (equivalents of pte(B)/pte(T)) and normally not asked of Cpl or above. The Canadian in question went to another Cpl and treated him the way a senior (E6-7) would treat one of his (E2-3) ie. asked him to stand to attention to which he got offended. Also he doesn't occupy the position of supervisor on a permanent basis but rather just filling in for others and is the only supervisor to ask that kind of treatment from others.

All I wanted was to know the technicality behind the matter so that people could be properly guided and also opinion of people in regard to wether it should be done or not. No one involved is a disciplinary case or shit pump.

Infanteer said:
Yeah, and those were the days when the Brigade Commander thought he was doing his job by inspecting the Battalions socks.

Thank f**k we've left those chicks**t, "old-school" days behind....

I agree with you. We may have dragged The Canadian Army into the 21st Century.

bender248 said:
...All I wanted was to know the technicality behind the matter so that people could be properly guided and also opinion of people in regard to wether it should be done or not. No one involved is a disciplinary case or crap pump.

Collateral damage...goes with the territory of asking a question here.  ;)

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Collateral damage...goes with the territory of asking a question here.  ;)

Regards
G2G

We do tend to go off in different directions don't we.....move now, route to follow!! ;)

Back