• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australian KIA Afghanistan 27 Nov 08

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Again, its our turn.

One loss is one too many.

Lest we forget.

Shared IAW the usual............

Link: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24716309-2,00.html

---------------------
Australian soldier killed in Afghanistan

NEWS.com.au
November 27, 2008 06:10pm

Digger killed by Taliban explosive device
Two other Aussie troops injured
All families have been notified
AN Australian soldier was killed by an explosion in Afghanistan.

Two others were slightly wounded.

Vice Chief of the Defence Force Lieutenant General David Hurley said members of a Special Operations Task Group (SOTG) were on foot, conducting an operation against Taliban insurgents.
An explosion occurred, and an Australian soldier was killed, he said.

Lieutenant General Hurley said the Australian soldier was killed after an improvised explosive device (IED) was detonated.

Two other soldiers were also slightly wounded in the attack.

No more information could be released about the incident because it could jeopardise the safety of other soldiers, Lt Gen Hurley said.

"Today our nation mourns the loss of a fine soldier,'' he said.

"On behalf of the men and women of the Australian Defence Force, I offer my deepest sympathy to his family and to his friends.''

Lieutenant General Hurley said an enquiry would be held into the soldier's death with the results to be made public.

The soldier's family was receiving support and was coming to terms with their loss, he said.

The families of the two injured soldiers also have been notified.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has expressed his sadness at the death.

"I'm deeply saddened today to hear of the death of an Australian soldier this morning in Afghanistan,'' Mr Rudd said in Canberra.

"On behalf of the Government, I wish to extend my condolences to the family of this soldier.''

Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull said the nation had lost a courageous soldier.

"Today we mourn a brave man who has given his all in a war against terrorism that Australia and the free nations of the world must win,'' he said.

Seven Australian soldiers have been killed on active duty in Afghanistan.

----------------------------

Heard the above on the way home from the Regiment tonight.

OWDU

My heart always sinks when I hear this news.

RIP 
Thank you for you dedication and are thinking of him and his family.  May you all find peace.

I am saddened to once again hear of another good man lost.  My deepest condolences to his family and comrades.  :salute:

shared iaw the usual

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24720195-29277,00.html

Digger killed in Afghanistan named
AAP
November 28, 2008 03:24pm

DEFENCE has named Lieutenant Michael Fussell as the latest Australian soldier to die in Afghanistan. Lt Fussell was killed by an improvised explosive device detonation in Afghanistan on Thursday.
The 25-year-old was a member of the Sydney-based 4th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment and was conducting a dismounted patrol when he and his team were struck by the device.

Lt Fussell was not married and had no children.

His immediate family was receiving support from army representatives, defence said.

Two other Special Operations Task Group personnel were slightly wounded in the explosion and have now returned to operational duties.

Defence would not release the names of the wounded personnel.

Army chief Lieutenant-General Ken Gillespie said Lt Fussell's sacrifice would never be forgotten.

"Our hearts go out to Michael's family during this very sad time,'' he said.

"I hope the knowledge that they are in the thoughts and prayers of so many Australians will be a source of comfort for them.''

RIP

20081130adf8208022037locl7.jpg

Lieutenant Michael Fussell lays in honour at the commencement of a moving service at Tarin Kowt, southern Afghanistan.

20081130adf8208022164lomy6.jpg

Dutch and Australian soldiers pay tribute as Lieutenant Michael Fussell beings his journey home.

20081130adf8208022179loep4.jpg

Back