• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AUSSIE SOF VEHS UNDER ARMOURED

54/102 CEF

Inactive
Reaction score
see http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/05/15/2570986.htm

There's a good video of the patrol vehicles embedded in the story http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200905/r372020_1726858.asx

This is the first I have heard of this.

The LRPV is a 6X6 Parente Land Rover, with specific enhancemetns for long patrols. There are highly armed, but true soft skins, and these LRPVs are a SASR tool of the trade.

I do know of some 'uparmour-add ons' as I have heard these from those who were there. This may have some effect for SAA and generic shrapnel, depending on where its placed, but as for any protection of the IED EFP threat - forget it. Even LAV aint the greatest for IED, and pretty much ineffective for EFP. M1 armour is even defeatable with EFP.

However these 'SAS Cats' as they are known here, know the risk, and I really can't see any of them complaining period.

Armoured vehicles such as Bushmaster IMV, the Valir 'package' UNIMOGs and LAVs, Typew 1, 2 and 3 are common place in the MEAO. LRPVs are mission specific SF equipment, and there is no Land Rover 4X4 soft skins used outside the wire.  The LRPVs are in a class of their own, softskinned as they may be.

Cheers,

OWDU

EDITed for spelling :)

Very good review, I gathered from the media links that this might be a bit of spin attempt which seems to have been handily defeated by the military and Assn sposkemen

I came across this one, so how does this and the IVECO Light Multi-role Vehicles (LMV) 4X4 fit in the picture if it does.
Or is this a replacement for the something else?

Elbit Systems awarded €25 Million Contract to supply Austrian Army with 12.7mm Weapon Stations

Monday, May 18, 2009

Elbit Systems Ltd. announced it has been awarded a contract valued at €25 million to supply the Austrian Army with Elbit Systems' new 12.7mm unmanned Electrically Remote Controlled Weapon Stations. The systems will be delivered over the course of the next four years.

The contract for the Austrian Army was signed between Elbit Systems and IVECO S.p.A., a subsidiary of the Fiat Group, prime contractor for the program. The Weapon Stations provided by Elbit Systems will be integrated into IVECO Defence Vehicles' Light Multi-role Vehicles (LMV) 4X4.

In addition to the day and night detection systems, Elbit Systems' weapon stations include a Multi-Threat Detection System (MTDS), capable of detecting, categorizing and pinpointing Laser, Radar and RF Sources. The MTDS provides a solution to threats caused by a variety of sources.

The new weapon station is based on Elbit Systems' expertise and combat proven fire control systems, drive systems and electro-optic systems. The system is highly suited for Light Multi-role Vehicles, enhancing the vehicles' capabilities by adding both sensors and firepower, with little increase in overall percentage of vehicle weight.

Bezhalel (Butzi) Machlis, General Manager of Elbit Systems Land and C4I Tadiran, said: “We are proud to have been selected to take part in this important project for the Austrian Armed Forces. Elbit Systems' co-operation with IVECO Defence Vehicles reflects the level of recognition we have achieved with our customers and international partners.  The selection of our systems constitutes a breakthrough in an emerging international market emanating from a shift in the modern battlefield."

Link : http://www.yourdefencenews.com/news_item.php?newsID=32609

Methinks the manager quoted in the story (and I checked it against the reference) should spend part of his bonus on a geography book, or is this posted because of its relevance to the Australian project?

Bezhalel (Butzi) Machlis, General Manager of Elbit Systems Land and C4I Tadiran, said: “We are proud to have been selected to take part in this important project for the Austrian Armed Forces. Elbit Systems' co-operation with IVECO Defence Vehicles reflects the level of recognition we have achieved with our customers and international partners.  The selection of our systems constitutes a breakthrough in an emerging international market emanating from a shift in the modern battlefield."

Thanks. Just blame the eye sight. Its been going down hill.

No sweat. It probably is a side effect of walking around upside down.

Back