• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attaching to another Unit

Argyll_2347

Inactive
Reaction score
I used the Search button, but couldn't find any posts regarding attachment to another unit.  I hear that you can parade with another unit if you are staying away from your home unit (i.e. for University, etc.).  Does anyone have any information on how this works such as any regulations on period of time being away, etc.?

I am likely going to Saskatoon for just a few months with intentions of returning back to Hamilton, so I don't want to leave the Argylls and would like to be attached to the unit out there as an Argyll.

I heard from my Adjt, last night, that they are doing away with Attached Postings.  So if this comes about, you would have to transfer.

Depending on the willingness of the two units involved (COs/Adjts) and the length of time you intend to be in Saskatoon, there is an option.  If your 'old' unit will pay you (typically unlikely) a deal might be worked out.  For a short period.  Most Bdes and Areas take a dim view of this.  I've done this myself, although years ago.

I believe there is a QYRANG pte who has been attached to 1 H for the last 2 months due because he has gone to University.

If you are coming to Saskatoon, you may be in luck. When I'm not in Afghanistan I'm the Chief of Staff of 38 CBG which includes Sask units.

I have seen this "attached parading thing" work well, but I have also seen it get badly messed up because people did not pursue it the right way, then ended up bitching about "the system" screwing them over when it was their own fault in the first place. There is a correct procedure to follow. If you like I will forward your query to our Brigade G1 who can advise on the correct procedure(PM me). You can also inquire via your unit OR. Cheers.

Hello Spearin

I am with the Inf Unit in Saskatoon and we have had a number of folks from other Units Attach Post with us over the past 10 years.  Most of them are usually here for a year or more.  When will you be on the ground in Saskatoon and for how long, I can advise you from there as to how we might approach an attached posting?

Regards

CArrow

Thanks CArrow. Over to you Niskers. Cheers.

Thanks for all the help :)

I inquired with my BOR and they said to just write a Memorandum (anyone have the correct format? lol) and submit it up the chain of command.  The CO will approve it and they will contact the other unit to make things all kosher.

I'll be in Saskatoon at the beginning of January (in time for winter!).  Probably will be leaving by the end of June.  Depending if I then attend University there in September, I may have to renew the attachment (if possible of course).

Typically how long will it take to get things rolling?  I can submit the Memo next parade night (Wednesday), which is our stand-down and Christmas Dinner.  Not too sure how active the BOR staff are during the break, but I imagine if they're on Class B they should be down there.

@pbi: Thank you for your help; if there is any more information I need to know, please PM me :)

@CArrow: Is there any specific kit that I will require for typical parade nights?  I will probably bring with me at first the minimum that I imagine I would need (FFO) and then have the rest shipped over a bit later.

Spearin, PM me with your email addy and I'll ship you one of my old memos, just to let you see the format.

Back