• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Assisted Dying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article suggests that kids over 12 need 'parental permission', you know, like for the typical school out trip ;)

The Dutch government has approved plans to allow euthanasia for terminally ill children aged between one and 12.

On Tuesday, Health Minister Hugo de Jonge said the rule change would prevent some children from "suffering hopelessly and unbearably".
Euthanasia is currently legal in the Netherlands for children older than 12, with mandatory consent from the patient and their parents.
It is also legal for babies up to a year old with parental consent.

So this is where I got my original information.
I thought I had verified it but I guess I was still too mad to think clearly. Now every link I find on the subject that isn't from Fox suggests the GOC is planning to study the mature minor eligibility criteria and one even mentioned that there is a 10 day waiting period for any one of any age.

I fully believe that mature minors will be allowed eventually as they are allowed an abortion without their parents knowledge. More and more it seams that medical professionals see parents as an obstacle to children blindly believing and following their medical advice.

So this is where I got my original information.
I thought I had verified it but I guess I was still too mad to think clearly. Now every link I find on the subject that isn't from Fox suggests the GOC is planning to study the mature minor eligibility criteria and one even mentioned that there is a 10 day waiting period for any one of any age.

I fully believe that mature minors will be allowed eventually as they are allowed an abortion without their parents knowledge. More and more it seams that medical professionals see parents as an obstacle to children blindly believing and following their medical advice.

Time to reset the clock - you get to get married, vote, go to war and harm yourself any way you please after your Bar/Bat Mitzvah. 13 was the age of majority for English runaways at Gretna Green in Scotland.

Time to reset the clock - you get to get married, vote, go to war and harm yourself any way you please after your Bar/Bat Mitzvah. 13 was the age of majority for English runaways at Gretna Green in Scotland.
This hits close to home as me and more than one of my friends went through states of depression as teenagers.
When I was 15 I was in really bad shape, now I'm 43 with 8 kids of my own and my oldest is 15. Thankfully they are much happier than I was at their age. Had we been allowed this without our parents knowledge I'm sure some of us would have done it.

Most of the suicides I encountered on a professional basis were past the point of discussion.

But, I do recall what one young woman said to me when I asked her why she had attempted. She said if just one person had smiled at her, in what was to have been her final hour, she would not have attempted it.

. . .. More and more it seams that medical professionals see parents as an obstacle to children blindly believing and following their medical advice.

Accepting the decisions of a mature minor is not something that evolved from the whims of the medical profession but rather from legal/judicial opinion and legislation. Even so, informed consent is not something that is taken lightly and, while it may seem pro forma when providing consent to a medical procedure, considerable thought (and experience) is involved when seeking consent to treatment.

Some quick and easy (Alberta specific) resources to remind medical professionals the steps to take

And a search on CanLii using "informed consent mature minor" provides a number of discussions about the legal basis including some dealing specifically with MAiD.

Last edited:
This hits close to home as me and more than one of my friends went through states of depression as teenagers.
When I was 15 I was in really bad shape, now I'm 43 with 8 kids of my own and my oldest is 15. Thankfully they are much happier than I was at their age. Had we been allowed this without our parents knowledge I'm sure some of us would have done it.

Dude... I only have 2 kids. If I had 8 I'd be signing myself up for an 'Edward G. Robinson' tomorrow ;)

friend high quality GIF

Accepting the decisions of a mature minor is not something that evolved from the whims of the medical profession but rather from legal/judicial opinion and legislation. Even so, informed consent is not something that is taken lightly and, while it may seem pro forma when providing consent to a medical procedure, considerable thought (and experience) is involved when seeking consent to treatment.

Some quick and easy (Alberta specific) resources to remind medical professionals the steps to take

And a search on CanLii using "informed consent mature minor" provides a number of discussions about the legal basis including some dealing specifically with MAiD.
Back to this later as I literally wrote a paper on this for class this past summer, but at present, to the best of my knowledge, we have no ‘mature minor’ case law in the context of MAiD. Is it coming? Yeah, potentially. But, at present, the foreseeable evolution in the law is a step or two shy of this. Major minors are, at present, an academic discussion, not yet a legal one in the sense that any cases I know of before the courts would decide that at any jurisdictional level. The law will soon need to decide what difference there is that allows a mature minor to decline cancer treatment that will result in their death, and deciding to choose MAiD for an irremediable medical condition. Not sure how that’ll play out.

Back to this later as I literally wrote a paper on this for class this past summer, but at present, to the best of my knowledge, we have no ‘mature minor’ case law in the context of MAiD. Is it coming? Yeah, potentially. But, at present, the foreseeable evolution in the law is a step or two shy of this. Major minors are, at present, an academic discussion, not yet a legal one in the sense that any cases I know of before the courts would decide that at any jurisdictional level. The law will soon need to decide what difference there is that allows a mature minor to decline cancer treatment that will result in their death, and deciding to choose MAiD for an irremediable medical condition. Not sure how that’ll play out.

Seen.

My response was a general comment on informed consent of mature minors and not specifically in reference to MAiD. It was a reply to address the portion (that I excerpted and quoted) of @Dana381's post that suggested it is the medical profession that is expanding the ability of minors to consent to medical treatment that may be contrary to the wishes of parents/guardians.

Dude... I only have 2 kids. If I had 8 I'd be signing myself up for an 'Edward G. Robinson' tomorrow ;)

friend high quality GIF

I must admit I don't understand the reference?
Seen.

My response was a general comment on informed consent of mature minors and not specifically in reference to MAiD. It was a reply to address the portion (that I excerpted and quoted) of @Dana381's post that suggested it is the medical profession that is expanding the ability of minors to consent to medical treatment that may be contrary to the wishes of parents/guardians.

Or knowledge of. My fear with this is that the only counseling a child may get is from someone who is not allowed to discourage it. One article I read said the current practice in some cases is to offer suicide as a treatment option I.e. "you can have chemo, radiation, or MAiD". What if that same pattern happens to a child with crippling depression? "Your options are medicine, counseling, or MAiD." Because the practicioner isnt allowed to leave MAiD out untill specifically asked for. Then let's say the whole process goes on without the parents knowledge. Like with abortions now.

Loving parents can miss things in their kids, my mom was a good mom and loving, but she had no idea what I was going through untill she found some stuff I had written. Then things changed and she worked hard to help me and here I am today.

I must admit I don't understand the reference?

Probably because you're not as old or irrelevant as I am ;)

Soylent Green is a 1973 American ecological dystopian thriller film directed by Richard Fleischer, and starring Charlton Heston, Leigh Taylor-Young, and Edward G. Robinson in his final film role. It is loosely based on the 1966 science fiction novel Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison, with a plot that combines elements of science fiction and a police procedural. The story follows a murder investigation in a dystopian future of dying oceans and year-round humidity caused by the greenhouse effect, with the resulting pollution, depleted resources, poverty, and overpopulation.[2] In 1973, it won the Nebula Award for Best Dramatic Presentation and the Saturn Award for Best Science Fiction Film.

Roth is so shaken by the truth that he decides to "return to the home of God" and seeks assisted suicide at a government clinic. Thorn rushes to stop him but arrives too late. Before dying, Roth tells his discovery to Thorn. Thorn moves to uncover proof of crimes against humanity and to bring it to the attention of The Supreme Exchange in order that the case be brought to the Council of Nations to take action.

Regarding MAID.

I received an invitation from my retirement organization to attend:

Understanding Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID): The Ontario Experience

I wonder if that is something being sent to other "boomers"? 😲

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back