• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Assistance finding photograph of Lieutenant John Grant Edwards (RCN)

SeaDog

Inactive
Reaction score
I realize that this is probably a long shot, but quite frankly I have almost exhausted all of my traditional research avenues.  Due to my interest and background in history I was approached at work and asked if I could try and fill in some historical gaps that we have down at sub squadron.  We have a "Rogue's Gallery"  - a wall of photographs of Canadian submarine captains.  It is, however, missing those officers of the RCN and RCNVR that passed Perisher and served as captains of British submarines during the First and Second World Wars.  I have been able to collect images of all of them except one - Lieutenant John Grant Edwards, RCN.  The only information I have at the moment is that he was the CO of HMS C.18 and HMS R.1.  He passed Perisher 31st of October 1918 and passed away the 11th December 1964.  Historian Mark Milner made passing reference to him in an article about Canadian wartime submariners and The Barrow Submarine Association has his tombstone data in their data-base.  I have contacted the Maritime Command Museum, the RN Submarine Museum, Imperial War Museum et cetera, et cetera, but have yet to dig up any additional info, let alone a photo of JG Edwards.  Any thoughts about where I should try next? Anything I haven't thought of that might produce a lead?

SeaDog, I've cross-posted your request on the Great War Forum.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=167589

Greatly appreciated.  Also extremely happy to be referred to as a contact in the "Royal Canadian Navy" - my first association with our reclaimed and proud moniker.

Back