• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Assigned glasses

ackj

Inactive
Reaction score
Do you get assigned glasses when you sign up? And if so do you have to wear them

ackj said:
Do you get assigned glasses when you sign up? And if so do you have to wear them

If your eye test indicates that you require glasses.

If it does, the CF will provide for the fitting/cost up to a max dollar value.  Perhaps you may only require them for reading or perhaps all the time or even perhaps none at all --- depends upon what your vision testing indicates.

If you are worried that you would be required to wear the "Buddy Holly" style of frames don't be, the covered frame selection is much more modern then the old days, in addition you may be able to upgrade out of pocket.

That's kinda cool, I was just wondering if i would need to go out and find like special balistic lenses or some such for my glasses for them to be acceptable standards lol.

Murb said:
That's kinda cool, I was just wondering if i would need to go out and find like special balistic lenses or some such for my glasses for them to be acceptable standards lol.

If you do wear prescription glasses, you will also be issued inserts for your gas mask.  Ballistic eyewear is also issued.

I decided I was going to get laser eye surgery just to avoid all the hassle that comes with glasses.

If you manage to recreate a Jerry Lewis scene while setting up an antenna mast, crushing your glasses at the beginning of a month-long ex in a remote part of the country, you too could be wearing those *special* glasses all month long. Ballistics are not meant as social wear at the local watering holes.

I bought myself two pairs of cheap frames for less than $100 at costco six years ago. They're handy for having "real" glasses in places where they're more likely to get screwed up. It took awhile, but when I got the broken pair written off as being damaged in the course of my duties, I got a decent pair of replacements from an optician through MIR.

Have two pairs of "field glasses" and actually take them to taskings/courses with you. You do not want to either be without glasses or wearing $600 glasses when you get sent out of your nice, comfortable CP to go fix an antenna.

if you do get Laser surgery you will have to wait 6 months after the surgery to take the CF eye exam(what I was told when I inquired).

My wait period was only 3 months, but I guess it all depends on the type of surgery and trade.

ambernewton04 said:
My wait period was only 3 months, but I guess it all depends on the type of surgery and trade.

Type of surgery and whenever your surgeon says your vision is stabilized. A month after I had a MO give me a note that said I was fit to drive vehicles (as my ontario licence wasn't changed yet), and did my full medical to change my vision category about 3 months post op as my vision was better than 20/20 at that point.

PuckChaser said:
Type of surgery and whenever your surgeon says your vision is stabilized. A month after I had a MO give me a note that said I was fit to drive vehicles (as my Ontario licence wasn't changed yet), and did my full medical to change my vision category about 3 months post op as my vision was better than 20/20 at that point.

yea my surgeon wouldn't even sign my papers saying my eyesight was stable until 90 days. I tried everything to get him to sign earlier. I was so angry because my original surgery was June 13Th, which would have given me a slight chance at getting merit listed in time for the October MPAC, but they rescheduled my surgery 4 times. I didn't end up having it until June 28Th. Of course I had already paid the $4000.00  :mad:

ambernewton04 said:
yea my surgeon wouldn't even sign my papers saying my eyesight was stable until 90 days. I tried everything to get him to sign earlier. I was so angry because my original surgery was June 13Th, which would have given me a slight chance at getting merit listed in time for the October MPAC, but they rescheduled my surgery 4 times. I didn't end up having it until June 28Th. Of course I had already paid the $4000.00  :mad:

Just because you pay them money, doesn't mean they're going to go against established protocols to ensure you don't damage your eyes or crash your car because they're not good enough yet. That makes them liable for far more than your $4,000.

PuckChaser said:
Just because you pay them money, doesn't mean they're going to go against established protocols to ensure you don't damage your eyes or crash your car because they're not good enough yet. That makes them liable for far more than your $4,000.

The reason I was upset was because it was rescheduled so many times, after I had already paid. Too many bookings, doctor on holidays, etc. I wasn't upset about the fact he couldn't sign before 90 days.

Back