• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aspiring CF-18 pilot...come on, give me a chance :)

Bo

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well, I never thought I would be posting questions on the Canadian Army forum but after experiencing the doldrums of post-university life, I've decided to expand my future career possibilities. Yes, I want to become (or at least hope to become) a CF-18 pilot. After reading some of the threads on this forum, it has become quite apparent though, that the chances of achieving this goal are slim to none. First, I'll give you a little information about myself:

1.   I'm 23, graduated from Concordia University in Computer Science and I've been working in the IT field for a little over a year. Math is one of my strengths. I haven't done physics since Cegep (Quebec college) but I can re-learn that pretty fast.

2. Physically, I'm in pretty good shape: I run 5k in under 19 minutes, I can bench 225lbs for 8 reps, I can do 27 pullups and about 60+ pushups. I'm 5'11" and weigh 172lbs. I'm a team-oriented kind of guy; I've played soccer and hockey all my life.

My questions are the following:

1. How many trainees attend pilot school in Moose Jaw each session and how many CF-18 positions are available per session?

2. Assuming one becomes a CF-18 pilot, how many years must that person stay in the Air Force?

3. If there is no current conflict with which Canada is involved in, what does a CF-18 pilot do? Does he/she have a choice where to be stationed?

4. Once retired, can a CF-18 pilot transfer his skill set to become a commercial airline pilot? Is this common?

5. I'm from Montreal, a fun, party-filled city with a great nightlife and great people. I've lived here all my life. I don't consider myself to be a very sensitive guy (getting homesick, missing friends) but I can't help but wonder what life will be like in some remote part of Canada (or the world).....what are your experiences with this?

Well, that's about it. I hope some of you guys will respond seeing as this is a pretty long post. Sorry for the long read   ;D

Bo said:
My questions are the following:

1. How many trainees attend pilot school in Moose Jaw each session and how many CF-18 positions are available per session?
When I went through Moose Jaw (Dec 02-Jul 03) there were 12 to 16 guys per course. Of that, usually 2 were given jet spots and of those 2, only one would go to 419 for Fighter Lead In Training (FLIT). The other one would stay in Moose Jaw to instruct for 3 years prior to getting his/her chance to go to 419. Getting there is one thing, but passing is something totally different. The failure rate on the Hornet OTU (Operational Training Unit) is quite high. I don't know exact numbers but I know 2 guys at my Sqn alone that failed it. There's an awful lot of info to process for a single pilot and some guys just aren't cut out for it.

2. Assuming one becomes a CF-18 pilot, how many years must that person stay in the Air Force?
It's the same for every pilot, 7 years after you get your pilot wings. You get your wings after BOTC, SLT (if req), PFT on the Slingsby, Phase IIa and Phase IIb on the Harvard II, and Phase III on the Hawk, Jet Ranger or King Air whatever the case may be. The training takes 2-3 years so you'll end up being in the CF for almost 10 years before you're able to leave.

3. If there is no current conflict with which Canada is involved in, what does a CF-18 pilot do? Does he/she have a choice where to be stationed?
Again, it's the same for all pilots. We do training and proficiency flying to maintain our qualifications or gain new ones. You'll be doing written and flight tests constantly for the rest of your career. CF-18s are only in Cold Lake Alberta or Bagotville Quebec. You'll get posted where they need you, you will get to put in a request but that doesn't guarantee anything.

4. Once retired, can a CF-18 pilot transfer his skill set to become a commercial airline pilot? Is this common?
From what I've heard, it's not good. CF-18 pilots are one man bands and they have major deficiencies in crew management.   This of course can be learned, but they'll take any multi guy any day of the week over a Hornet guy.

5. I'm from Montreal, a fun, party-filled city with a great nightlife and great people. I've lived here all my life. I don't consider myself to be a very sensitive guy (getting homesick, missing friends) but I can't help but wonder what life will be like in some remote part of Canada (or the world).....what are your experiences with this?
It will be an adjustment for you, but by the time you get to Cold Lake for the Hornet OTU, you'll be well adjusted after having spent 2 years in Moose Jaw.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply man! Good information.

Sorry for bring a dead thread back to life but I have a quick question. I was talking to my friends about becoming a pilot and my air-force friend told me that there is a hight requirement to fly the CF-18. I was just wondering if this were true?

For more info, check out Aircrew Selection threads, but during Aircrew Selection you will sit/stand in front of a blue screen and a camera which will record your body dimensions and figure out which cockpits your body is appropriate for. I don't know the measurements, just that I'm 6'2 about 185 and I fit all cockpits.

Archilochus said:
Sorry for bring a dead thread back to life but I have a quick question. I was talking to my friends about becoming a pilot and my air-force friend told me that there is a hight requirement to fly the CF-18. I was just wondering if this were true?

There are a few pretty tall guys on the Jet course right now in Moose Jaw and they fit in the Hawk.  That's the biggest issue.  The Hornet cockpit is bigger than the Hawk's.

Max

Well for me, being tall isn't the issue. I am 5'6'' so I'm just curious if that still allows me to be in any cockpit.

5'6" should be fine - it is more than just overall height.  They measure your hip to knee-cap length, your upper torso, etc .

Archilochus said:
Well for me, being tall isn't the issue. I am 5'6'' so I'm just curious if that still allows me to be in any cockpit.

I'm 5'6" myself and I'm actually very comfortable in the Hawk as opposed to tall guys! 

*sigh* how things have changed. Could I haved sounded like more of a noob?

Bo said:
*sigh* how things have changed. Could I haved sounded like more of a noob?

Hahahahah. Everyone was there once. At least you went with list form and didn't jumble it all in one paragraph.

It's a matter of timing my friend. Worst case you could end up on a course with no jet slot and the following course would get 4. Go figure!

Archilochus, why, oh why did you have to revive this ancient thread? My buddies in the flight have printed out my uber-noob post and sent it around the school, lol.

Bo said:
Archilochus, why, oh why did you have to revive this ancient thread? My buddies in the flight have printed out my uber-noob post and sent it around the school, lol.

Now you understand some of the warnings and hints we gave you so many "posts" ago.    ;D

Well, my desire to go F-18 died quickly after I learned more about the fighter lifestyle. The lack of flying (~150hrs/yr), long work days, living in Cold Lake, etc. didn't appeal to me. Plus I never had a real strong passion for F-18's to begin with. I was just like most other people who started out clueless and thought Top Gun was cool.

When I arrived in Moose Jaw I was unsure whether I wanted to go Helo or Multi. I ended up getting helo and I'm quite happy with that. I start helo school June 9. Now I'm just unsure between Tac hel and SAR  ;)

Oh and if you're wondering about how long it's taken so far, I started Basic Training in Sept '05 and should have wings by Oct '08. 3 years seems like a long time, but it flies by.

3 yrs is actually pretty good, given the training delays that have been seen.

As for which helo I'd say Tac Hel...but I'm biased.  I'm sure G2G would agree with my assessment though.

Sorry about printing out your post and putting it up in the flight Bo Bo.  Obviously we get pretty bored while on standby.

Bo said:
Well, my desire to go F-18 died quickly after I learned more about the fighter lifestyle. The lack of flying (~150hrs/yr), long work days, living in Cold Lake, etc. didn't appeal to me.

I think that's a pretty good testimonial for both OJT and this site. Even I've picked up a little info about each stream from reading posts here. I've heard that at Moose Jaw they give (or have given) motivation flights on CF-18s, is there any sort of formal introduction to the 3 streams, or is it just what you can pick up through word of mouth?

Back