• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ARTY GUNS

Considering how long it takes to acquire equipment in the CF , I think maybe Jan 2012 is more likley .  ::)

Craig

It takes less time to buy off the shelf or used proven equipment than to actually go through the SOR/tender process.  Subs, MilCOTs vs GACS, LG1.

I have read that the CLS direction was to acquire gun and ammo "as soon as practicable".  One of my fav deadlines.

Bruce Monkhouse seems confidant that the new arty replacement has already been selected.

(Bruce is the tall one at right.)

(Edited for Photo)

Here is another link on the M777. It includes a 16 MB ppt presentation (May 04) with Excalibur description and concept of Ops.    http://sill-www.army.mil/USMC/LW155/

Good Day all !! Haven't checked this means in awhile.

The L5 did come into service with Canadian Gunners, as mentioned, in ' 68. The Airborne Battery and the AMF(L) Battery got them. ( So did the Arty Dept at The Combat Arms School, as well as the newly formed 5 RALC ). After the cracked barrels episode in ' 72, the barrels were replaced and we were restricted to Charge 6.

In ' 88, the L5's were still in use, but only in 2 RCHA. "E"(Para) and "D"AMF(L) were using them. We also managed to scare some up for "F" Bty, which was resurrected when we were authorized a third mission element. The L5's were refitted under the Howitzer Improvement Program. This was a stopgap measure until the C1/C3 thing was completed and the French Light Gun thing was still being beaten about. The improved L5 had a new barrel, a beefed-up recoil mechanism, ( absolutely NO MORE blown gaskets !! ), and an extra baffle on the muzzle brake. We did the "long lanyard" thing with Charge 7 after replacing the contaminated eyetie hydraulic fluid. Everything was good to go for 11km range.

The L5s went out of service in ' 93, as mentioned, and the 2nd Regiment adopted the M 109s from Germany. My last duty in 2RCHA, before going down to Gagetown on the MrGnr Crse, was to oversee the twelve remaining L5's being put into long-term preservation. They sat in a Sprung Shelter outside of Z-104 for the last year I was in Pet'. I noitice that the L5's are now popping up in front of messes around all the remaining Army bases.

Good news for The Guns though. The CLS Directive on sorting out the Artillery's equipment problems was just issued. I read it this afternoon. It would appear that we will drop some guns in the Regular Force regiments as the present configuration changes somewhat. We will receive FSCC elms and STA along with a yet-to-be-decided 155mm gun. Further, this is supposed to be a fast-tracked program. The directive gave orders to every equipment acquisition and doctrine element concerned.

Lastly, for missions ( ie: "Task Force"...the current flavor of the day ), the Reserve Gunners will be involved. They will be tasked to provide two detachments. ( This would mandate cross training on the new equipment, if not a re-equipping of the Reserve Gunners at some future date ).

I mentioned in January ' 05 that there was no mention of The Guns in the new "Task Force" concept that the Army is on to. At the time, the explanation was that it was "under review". Then came the mention of MAVS, the guntaping of a C3 ordnance to an MLVW-like truck. Let's hope that the new 155 project can beat MAVS to the supply depots for timely issue to the Regiments !

Ubique

what a shame, Arty kills more emeny on the battlefield then any other weapon system... without Arty you might as well send the Troops home.  Sorry to say but it's past time Canada feels it's only role is "Peacekeeping", if you want peace prepare for war.  Without all the weapons of war at hand your nothing more then targets.  Sorry if I'm too harsh. If Peacekeeping is the only roll the CAF see itself doing, then no need to have an army, just covert to one large police force.  Politicians are stupid to use military in peacekeeping rolls, soliders are warfighters not peacekeepers.

No Arty, what's next? no rifles?
I don't blame the Military, it's the politicians that are to blame, and soliders the one to pay for the mistakes of politicians with thier blood.

How about we stop paying Politicians thier wages till the military has all thier need.  Or put the Politicians up front to face the enemy unarmed.

Rant off.

Master Gunner,

You are correct about the L5 coming into service in 1968, but it also equipped all the gun batteries in 3 and 4 RCHA. As for the school, it was still in Shilo. I commanded armament training troop (school speak for N118 and all the kit in it - the C1s, M109s, 501 and other radars, etc) at the time and remember when our first L5 arrived on the back of a deuce and a half. It was a cold day and the gun was virtually solid as the grease had congealed. We brought the vehicle inside, off-loaded the gun using the crane on our M578 and set it aside.

Being terribly logical, the Master Gunner and I decided to let it sit overnight and check it out in the morning. However curiousity overcame our good intentions and, as the gun warmed, we began to dissaemble it. By 1800 or so, it was in its various pieces on the floor, we were covered in grease and very pleased with ourselves.

pappy said:
what a shame, Arty kills more emeny on the battlefield then any other weapon system...

Unfortunately without the precision munitions the CLS has finally called for (and we expected years ago), in the role of current Ops - Fighting in Urban/Built-up areas- the risk of collateral damage over-rides its open field effectiveness.  If you have to fire a Registration mission or an adjusting round, prior to FFE can be obtained, the Guns will remain in Canada in the gun parks.

Old Sweat,

Ack. I knew that 3 & 4 RCHA had the L5s as well. As I understand it, it was a No1 in "J" Bty who discovered the crack in his barrel one typically "Fine" November morning at the Gun Park.

Further, I ack that the School was still in Shilo in ' 68. ( ' Just paraphrased for the sake of publication ).

As for the 501 radar.....we had to qualify on that effort during the Locating phase of the AIG Course in Gagetown in ' 84. Before that course, I had only seen the equipment used for testing at K 13. There was one bolted up on the roof for the RCAF Radar Techs to play with. Other than that, the only time it was ever brought out ( mounted on a 113 ) was for "Family Day".

Anyway, back to the Revitalization of The Guns. I am hoping that the CDS will see this one through. Up to this point, the lads in the Regiments were getting disillusioned somewhat. A mixed bag of 81mm mortars, the LG1 GIAT ( cracks and all ), and a hastily retrieved C3 just isn't cutting it. ( Especially when the other Arms are getting all the new high-tech toys.)

I heard about the Excalibur buy last year. With the demise of the M109, it seemed logical to surmise that asome new gun might be in the works.

I, for one, will be very interested in what 155mm equipment we eventually end up with.  Come to think of it, so will the troops !!

Ubique

Roger that, Master Gunner.

I agree with your last except that the 501 radar antenna was mounted on the roof of K13 so that students could track live rounds without the expense and technical hassle of getting an equipment ready to go to the field. WE had debated the issue before the move to Gagetown and decided on this after a recce and calculation of crest clearance (not the right phrase, but I have had a couple of stiff scotch) and the rest.

No better way to spend a hot-as-hell day than sitting under your cam net at the 3 sight, lobbing rounds into the vast openness of an impact area. God I miss the guns.

Back