• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Artillery vs. Infantry

Hunter911

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a personal question... Ive been looking into artillery for about the last 4 months, and have done all my applications and processing through them here in Halifax.

Ive been having some second thoughts about this, becuase i plan to join the regular force after finishing highschool, and want to try the infantry trade.

My question is... should i go for infantry now, and try to get some expierience through that, or try the artillery and go infantry later?

Also, when switching trades, do you also lose rank?

-Thanks... Hugo

Hunter911 said:
Ive been having some second thoughts about this, becuase i plan to join the regular force after finishing highschool, and want to try the infantry trade
My question is... should i go for infantry now, and try to get some expierience through that, or try the artillery and go infantry later?.

What made you decide Arty in the first place?  If you want to go regular force infantry then you will get the most experience by enlisting now as R031.

Hunter911 said:
Also, when switching trades, do you also lose rank? ?

That all depends.  In your case you have no rank to speak of so no.

I was talking more about in a couple of years... considering id most likely a corporal by then... maybe around 2008-2009?

"What made you decide Arty in the first place?  If you want to go regular force infantry then you will get the most experience by enlisting now as R031."
- I had a few friends in that and well... peer pressure is damn convincing when it comes to 105's  :p

Have to throw my 2 cents in here.  Knockin down gunners and all lol, arty isnt just 105' s anymore.  My Battery is light, we carry mortars around with the infantry guys all the time.  So really we get the "best" of both worlds.  We jokenly call ourselves "Infantillery" cause we seem to fill both roles.  just some food for thought I guess

Hunter 911, there is no "right" answer and we cannot make a decision for you.  You say you have friends in the arty but have you spoken to them about what it is like?  Have you visited your local artillery and infantry units?  Have you made yourself aware of what each does?  The miltiary can be a lonely place on your recruit course, do you want to where your friends are?  Or do you want to do your own thing?  Bottom line is we can't answer these questions for you.  See the attached FAQ on recruiting for a plethora of information on some of the subjects you have asked about:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

Good luck

Gunner (with 20 years of serving the guns)

Thanks guys. But i was looking more for opinions on the whole thing. Ive talked to both arty and infantry guys, and have been to both bases to see what they have to offer... My main question was whether or not you would keep your rank when switching from Artillery in Infantry in the future.

Thanks alot

Hugo  :salute:

I am in the same boat ... I want to do Infantry but their is only Artillery in my town and I wan't to sign up before I finish high school but they said I have to choose because they pay for my training and If I do a year or two here then go a different route they have all ready paid to train me as a Gunner so they said I should look else where if i am not sure ...and really think long and hard of want I want to do.

Polish Possy said:
If I do a year or two here then go a different route they have all ready paid to train me as a Gunner so they said I should look else where if i am not sure ...and really think long and hard of want I want to do.

I'll go out on a limb here and assume you are not living in a city.  Soldiers in the reserves come and go.  The ones you think will last almost never do, and the ones you think will never make sometimes do.  I heard a stat once, and from experience it's not far off, but the average tenure of a recruit in the reserves is around 8 months.  Yes it is only an average, but about half of the first year soldiers won't stick around until year two.  No unit I know of is sufficiently close to their establishment to be turning away recruits.

My advice is to join now.  Make an honest dedicated effort at learning your trade and soldiering.  If you choose to take a different path two years from now you will not be alone.  Best of luck.

Back