• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

article 5 medal for deployed members at sea

George Wallace said:
Ummmm?  Have you bothered to read this thread that you have started?

Did this not clarify your situation for you:

(This does not include time on ship berthed in Halifax/Esquimalt.)

Thanks but I believe this is not Op reassurance The red Sea was part of the Golf one I don't remember the name.  We're not in red sea or neer Dubai but on the other side Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, Greece Etc.
Thanks but again I might be wrong. And yes I read all comments.

cfred0912 said:
Thanks but I believe this is not Op reassurance The red Sea was part of the Golf one I don't remember the name.  We're not in red sea or neer Dubai but on the other side Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, Greece Etc.

Ref the yellow text...I believe that would make it either a (1) NDHQ or (2) 1 Cdn Air Div HQ exercise.  >:D

The issue arises with RCN for medal entitlements, that while we will have been at sea for 6 months on deployment we weren't on the same operation the whole time.

It will depend on when you arrived and how many days we have been under Op Active Endeavour during your time on FRE.

cfred0912 said:

The fact in that quote to take into account, even if it relates to another operation, is that the "geographic location description" and the "TIME in that geographic location" is what will determine your entitlement. 

Halifax Tar said:
The issue arises with RCN for medal entitlements, that while we will have been at sea for 6 months on deployment we weren't on the same operation the whole time.

It will depend on when you arrived and how many days we have been under Op Active Endeavour during your time on FRE.

I have several friends (and practically a whole ship's company) who earned 2 medals on 1 deployment when the ship transferred from Active Endeavour to Artemis.

Same thing happened for the troops that moved from Kabul to Kandahar in 05. 

Lumber said:
I have several friends (and practically a whole ship's company) who earned 2 medals on 1 deployment when the ship transferred from Active Endeavour to Artemis.

We are not undertaking Artemis.

Our only time is OAE and NATO time.

Halifax Tar said:
We are not undertaking Artemis.

Our only time is OAE and NATO time.

Ah, sorry. I forgot the threat title explicitly states "Article 5..."

Another FRE sailor here. NATO article 5 medal for Active Endeavour is only if you have 30 days continuous or 60 total on OAE. If you weren't with the ship for that much OAE you won't get the NATO medal.

April 25th a CANFORGEN went out saying that the Honours Committee is looking at creating a new honour for those who took part in OP REASSURANCE and OP UNIFIER to replace awarding the NATO bar to the SSM. So whenever they decide what that will be, anyone who sailed on REASSURANCE will most likely get it.

Result: someone who sailed with FRE for the whole deployment will get one and may end up with two medals; someone who sailed for part of the deployment may end up with one.

To clarify in case anyone is in question, time alongside in theatre counts toward the Article 5 OAE as well. When WIN was there we never had a 30 day period at sea, even when transiting back home across the Pacific.

On the same note, who's making the Criteria to get that medal is it canada or Nato. On the Forces site there is a discrepency between the french and english prerequisite. other Nato country gets the medal for 30 days continuous or accumulated.

Thanks,

I don't know if that is good, but this is what I found on Nato web site. I gess DH&R will have to change their English version 'cause the french version is good but they told me the opposite..
"Medal for Operation Active Endeavour

General Eligibility Criteria :
Eligible personnel are those serving, either as individuals or as part of an element of the forces, in accordance with OPLAN 10708. Those under both NATO and national command, or control, available to the Commander of Task Force ENDEAVOUR (TFE) and Task Group STROG (TGS) and only whilst in the Area of Operation, will be entitled to the award.

Area of Operations
Operation “ACTIVE ENDEAVOUR” is conducted in the international waters of the Mediterranean Sea, and Straits of Gibraltar (STROG), and in the airspace above it within the Area of Operation as detailed in OPLAN 10708, paragraph 5a(2) (noting also paragraph 1b) also CC-Mar Naples OPLAN 43708.

Qualifying Service
The qualifying period in the Area of Operations is 30 days continuous or accumulated service from 26 October 2001 and a termination date, which will be notified in a supplementary document.

Aircrew
Aircrew will accumulate one day’s service for the first sortie flown of any day in the Area of Operations; additional sorties flown on the same day receive no further credit. This requirement exists for combat aircraft as well as support aircraft to include tanker, airlift and surveillance platforms.

Just saw this:

UNCLAS
CANFORGEN CMP 004/17
SECTION 1 OF 2
SUBJ: RECOGNITION FOR OPERATION REASSURANCE AND OPERATION UNIFIER
REFS: A. CANFORGEN 073/16 CMP 076/16 251912Z APR 16
B. CANFORGEN 003/09 CMP 002/09 081950Z JAN 09
C. CANFORGEN 096/09 CMP 042/09 201315Z MAY 09
1. FURTHER TO REF A, AFC HAS DETERMINED THAT THE USE OF THE EXISTING
NATO AND EXPEDTION BARS TO THE SPECIAL SERVICE MEDAL IS THE MOST
APPROPRIATE AND TIMELY METHOD TO RECOGNIZE SERVICE WITH OPS
REASSURANCE AND UNIFIER RESPECTIVELY. HOWEVER, THE CDS HAS DIRECTED
THE CF HONOURS POLICY COMMITTEE TO CONDUCT A HOLISTIC REVIEW OF THE
SERVICE RECOGNITION FRAMEWORK AND INTENDS TO RECOMMEND TO THE
GOVERNMENT AUTHORITIES THAT THE TIME CRITERIA FOR CERTAIN MEDALS BE
AMENDED IN DUE COURSE
2. CONSEQUENTLY, AFC HAS APPROVED THE ADDITION OF THE FOL SERVICE TO
THE ELIGIBILITY LISTS FOR CERTAIN CAMPAIGN AND SERVICE MEDALS, AS

PAGE 2 RCCLHBF2018 UNCLAS CANFORGEN
FOLLOWS:
A. SPECIAL SERVICE MEDAL-NATO (SSM-NATO):

(1) SERVICE OF CAF MEMBERS WHO DEPLOYED TO CAMPIA TURZII, ROMANIA,
LITHUANIA AND SPANGDAHLEM AIRBASE IN GERMANY AS PART OF THE AIR TASK
FORCE (ATF), INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE NATO BALTIC AIR PATROL
(BAP), SINCE 29 APRIL 2014 (OP REASSURANCE). NO MULTIPLYING FACTOR

(2) SERVICE OF CAF MEMBERS WHO DEPLOYED TO EASTERN AND CENTRAL
EUROPE AS PART OF THE LAND TASK FORCE (LTF), SINCE 29 APRIL 2014 (OP
REASSURANCE). NO MULTIPLYING FACTOR

(3) SERVICE OF CAF MEMBERS WHO SERVED ONBOARD HMC SHIPS IN THE
MEDITERRANEAN AND BLACK SEAS UNDER NATO SNMG2, SINCE 29 APRIL 2014
(OP REASSURANCE), PROVIDED THE SERVICE IS NOT COUNTED TOWARDS A NATO
MEDAL. NO MULTIPLYING FACTOR. ONLY TIME SPENT UNDER NATO COMMAND IS
ELIGIBLE - TRANSIT TIME DOES NOT COUNT. SERVICE UNDER NATO OPS
ACTIVE ENDEAVOUR AND SEA GUARDIAN COUNTS TOWARDS THE APPROPRIATE
NATO MEDALS AND THEIR ASSOCIATED NUMERALS AND NOT FOR THE SSM-NATO

(4) SERVICE OF CAF MEMBERS DEPLOYED TO FORWARD LOGISTICS SITES (FLS)
IN DIRECT SUPPORT OF HMC SHIPS IN THE MEDITERRANEAN AND BLACK SEAS
UNDER NATO SNMG2 (WHEN THE SHIPS ARE NOT UNDER OPS ACTIVE ENDEAVOUR
OR SEA GUARDIAN), SINCE 29 APRIL 2014 (OP REASSURANCE). NO
MULTIPLYING FACTOR

(5) SERVICE OF CAF MEMBERS IN LATVIA AS PART OR IN DIRECT SUPPORT OF
THE ENHANCED FORWARD PRESENCE (EFP) BATTLEGROUP LATVIA, SINCE 22 APR
2017 (OP REASSURANCE). NO MULTIPLYING FACTOR

B.SPECIAL SERVICE MEDAL-EXPEDITION (SSM-EXP):

(1) SERVICE OF CAF MEMBERS WHO DEPLOYED TO UKRAINE TO PROVIDE
MILITARY ASSISTANCE TO THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES, SINCE 13 JUNE
2015 (OP UNIFIER)

3. FULL CRITERIA AS WELL AS COMPLETE ELIGIBILITY LISTS MAY BE FOUND