• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Staff and user conduct

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
All,

I'd like to step in and make a few comments about the recent - and now defunct - Acts of Moderation thread. I deleted it because it was no longer serving its intended purpose of being a conduit for questioning and explaining Staff issues, it had unfortunately turned into something with no positive value to the site. I propose we use this thread as a fresh start, so please - once you have read my post - feel free to address any outstanding concerns you may have.

First off, we value your feedback. Even the feedback that slams what we do or how we do it. Without honest, direct feedback we may lose sight of how we can do better.

You have my word that we will read every comment, complaint and suggestion - as we always have. However not every idea will be acted upon. Sometimes they are impractical to implement, sometimes they make life harder for Staff and/or users, or sometimes there may be other factors at play which the general population is unaware of.

What I can guarantee is that we will listen, which I believe is the best any of us can do.

Unfortunately we've seen frustrations rise recently, and I believe it's doing harm to the community we've built here. Some users are frustrated with the Staff, the Staff are frustrated with some users, and I'm sure some users are frustrated with each other. The end result is tempers flare and harsh words are exchanged, as it always is when people are aggravated.

The problem is, it's poisoning the atmosphere here and I know for a fact we are causing some highly respected members to run silent; others to leave all together. In essence, we are starting to drive out that which makes Army.ca unique.

I don't believe anyone here would dispute that there is a problem. Does the problem lie with the users of Army.ca? Yep. Does it lie with the Staff? Yep. We're all guilty at times. We're all human, we all let our frustrations get the best of us and we all dislike being mistreated.

The issue of respect has been brought up several times. As noted, it's a two way street. When someone makes a first post and is slammed by the Staff, they feel disrespected and others feel it too. On the flip side, when a Staff member has just spent their evening cleaning up threads, they feel irritated when a new user steps in and drops a thread without searching, reading the Guidelines or paying attention to Army.ca protocol. (And yes, we can see who has searched, who has read the Guidelines, etc., so this frustration is real, not imagined.) This irritation gets magnified to disrespect when the member has been around the army.ca block yet chooses to do so anyway.

We have spent a great deal of time and effort designing a system where (we believe) the rules are clear but fair; where a user has the freedom to discuss any topic but troublemakers can be dealt with. When someone ignores this system, not only does it cause work for the Staff, but it shows a cutting disrespect for what we have all worked so hard to build here.

So what can we do about this? It's not as simple as saying "new users must search" because that's already abundantly clear through the Guidelines and many other threads. Nor can we demand that new users stay in their lane with any effectiveness. (A rule the cannot be enforced will not be adhered to.)

Simply put, we will always have some who register and post without taking the time to understand how Army.ca operates. When they do, that's work for the Staff here. Someone has to clean up the thread, direct the user to the search button, merge, delete, etc. All because a new user ignored or decided to flaunt well established practices here. That's disrespectful.

As you can imagine, the Staff grow weary of dealing with this same issue day in, day out. But that's their job, and not to sound cliché, somebody has to do it. Thankfully, we have a cadre of volunteers who not only do it, but do it well. So how do we prevent the Staff from becoming frustrated when they have to deal with the same, repetitive, usually basic problems?

Do we ban people right off the bat for not paying attention to the mandatory rules? Do we fire Staff who allow themselves to become frustrated? Neither one of those options is acceptable. In the end, we have to suck it up, all of us. As a Staff member here, dealing with frustrating situations on a daily basis is part of the job. As a user, adhering to the rules is par for the course.

What we can do (again, all of us) is be respectful, even in disagreement. Generally, this is a non-issue, but as pointed out above, Army.ca can be stressful for users and Staff alike. When that happens, sometimes people lose their ability to be impartial and respectful, and that's when things go off the rails. Frequently, that's also when a Staff member smells trouble and locks a thread. Unfortunately that has been known to make some users see red. Maybe they believe the Staff are trying to have the final say, maybe they had just typed up a lengthy (polite) rebuttal which is now lost. (Note: Do not delete your rebuttal, rather PM it to a mod who can consider including it into the locked thread.)

This is not a justification for poor behaviour, nor a pardon for past problems on either side of the house. It is simply an explanation of what I believe the problem is, and a re-iteration that we must be respectful, even if we don't get along. I provide no quick fix or secret trick to getting over this problem... it is collectively ours to solve and if we don't work on it as such, it will not go away on its own.

If anyone has had the perseverance to read my entire response, kudos to you... you are likely singing in the choir already.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Bobbitt said:

If anyone has had the perseverance to read my entire response, kudos to you... you are likely singing in the choir already.

Cheers
Mike

I can't sing (in a manner such that anyone but a love-sick moose would want to listen) - but I hear you.

If any of my posts have been seen as part of the problem discussed above (I don't THINK so, but misunderstandings occur frequently on this medium), I apologize.

You and the mods run one hell of a site here, Mike - please keep up the fine work, all of you.

Roy Harding

Edit: spelling

Is there any reason for the 'Warning', 'C&P', and 'Banned' flashing neon signs to be put next to the members name? I'm sure the member knows their status at any given time, what is gained by broadcasting it to the entire community? Other forums I frequent don't do this. I don't recall having to wear a Red Chit stuck to my beret during courses.

I think some of the antagonism that goes on here might be reduced with more use of pm's by mods if they feel they need to correct something instead of posting in the thread. I know I feel very differently if someone pulls me to the side to tell me something as opposed to blasting me in front of my peers.

With regards to newbies posting in the wrong spot, not doing searches there is a way to minimise it that I have seen on some other forums. A few times I have joined a forum and had the first 10 posts delayed until read by a mod. It was a great help.

I don't know how feasible that is for site staff but it certainly did work.

Roy Harding said:
You and the mods run one hell of a site here, Mike - please keep up the fine work, all of you.
+1 there, I see nothing wrong with the way this site is managed or moderated  :salute:

Hi sigpig,

All valid points... let me see if I can tackle them.

The warning indicators are public for a few reasons. First, it adds some weight to the warning. Simply knowing I can't edit my own posts may not stop me from putting my foot in my mouth. But when everyone sees that I've put my foot in my mouth, it may be enough incentive to think then post, not the other way around. It also acts as a marker to others, so they can judge the person's posts accordingly. You may consider that unfair... a person with a Recorded may [now] be making very strong posts... but as often as not, knowing that they recently breached the Guidelines can put their comments in context. It also helps act as a barometer for others... Jones makes a personal attack, Jones is on warning. They now understand the visible correlation between action and reaction with regards to the warning system. If there was no visible marker, I'm sure we'd be flooded with "did you see what Brown pulled in his last post?" notifications. Once users see the warning marker, they know the problem has been dealt with.

The designation also goes away when the warning is over, and there is no permanent public mark left, so the warning banners are a temporary measure. Finally (and more pragmatically) they're a reminder to the DS... "doh! I left Smith on C&P... no wonder he's been so quiet!" ;) I still need to finish that automated system I guess.

All in all, these factors combine to make the case "for" markers stronger than the case "against."

With regards to PMs... They're used more than you may suspect. As was brought up previously, it's one of those invisible things so I can't give you numbers or anything other than assurances, but it does happen. I'll take your feedback as: it could be used more often, in which case it's a valid point, thanks.

Cheers
Mike

sigpig said:
Is there any reason for the 'Warning', 'C&P', and 'Banned' flashing neon signs to be put next to the members name? I'm sure the member knows their status at any given time, what is gained by broadcasting it to the entire community?

The member may know, but do you?  If a guy gets banned, perhaps you would like to know why?  His posts will show you; unless they were too offensive/not fit for publication and had to be deleted.  If you got put on 'Warning' at the Unit, would it be a Secret?  

If a person is on C&P and can not reply to your post, you would never know why they are not responding.

Then again, we could all go on and not know that we have people causing trouble in our little world, and not know if they are getting corrected for their misdeeds, like ostriches.  Discipline of offenders, also causes others to think before they too become an offender.  It is a form of 'preventive medicine' in a way.  If you know that you will not be punished for your transgressions, then you will do as you please, and the site will suffer.

[I wasn't fast enough]

TMM,

I like the concept, but with (on average) 20-30 new registrations a day, that's 200-300 posts that must be vetted by the staff. I suspect you've seen this in place on smaller boards, but I'm not sure. I think it would take up a fair amount of the Staff's time, though I'm sure the end product would be very good. (No more inane posts or public lync mobs required.)

If the system was simple enough it may work. Unfortunately our software doesn't seem to support it in any fashion, but I will do a bit of digging to see if there is an add-on, and if so, is it suitably simple.

Thanks
Mike

Ok, as I am a ardent supporter of the adage, don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution here goes:

Thank you for addressing my concerns.  I too, am a moderator on a number of busy sites and can well appreciate the feeling of being hammered by the group if one fails to either moderate or moderates too harshly.  I too have wanted to reach through the screen and shake some sense into some members and scream... "use the search function, we covered this topic ad nauseum in 2000 posts".   Our list and site owners prefer that we not do that and have asked us to practice restraint and to simply point out that there is a plethora of information available and to suggest the search phrases that will help them find the threads.  In one of the groups, we have over 8000 active members and approximately 1000-2000 posts a day to sort through. We also have an additional responsibility to ensure that members are supported, and erroneous information is not passed around as it is a site for cancer patients and to also recognize and deal with the instances of unauthorized medical and legal practices (which gets the site sued).  And yes, we've had to deal with a number of posers and trolls as well - why anyone would want to be a cancer patient or troll a cancer site, I'll never know. There is also the added burden that it requires us to recognize that a majority of the members are ill people and in some cases are limited on how much they can be cognative of and retain basic rules when they are on a pain med. So I can really appreciate how hard you all have to work.   

We found through trial and error, that it is best as moderators to have certain threads and topics to moderate as opposed to the entire board. We have found that it very quickly becomes apparent which member frequents which topic and when and who is likely to cause a problem.  It does help to reduce the work load if one only has to concentrate on a few topics as opposed to an entire board.   We do have global moderators who can delete, edit and move anything across the entire board. Those moderators have agreed not to participate in any threads on a personal level and remain just global moderators. That comes in handy when there is a dispute and the thread needs to either edited severely or deleted.   There is little room then for accusation that the mod has a vendetta against so and so etc. The global mods have our own private area and threads to discuss our own issues with fellow patients/survivors in lieu of a full participation. We rotate through the global positions a month at a time.  For the thread/topic moderators, they are free to contribute/debate in any thread other than the ones they have been assigned to moderate (if a subject does comes up that they would like to participate in rather than moderate, the thread gets turned over to someone else and the mods buttons are disabled for the mod in that thread . 

On one of the other sites I moderate, the membership is large and everyone believes themselves to be the next Oliver Wendall Holmes or Clarence Darrow and egos quite often run afoul of the site's rules.   The software we use has a function that allows a user to have their posts spooled and vetted prior to being posted.  We usually only vet the first post (so doing the math you cited Mike, that would mean 20-30 posts instead of 200-300 a much more manageable amount). I think we can all agree that in most cases it's the first post that usually is the one to get someone off to the wrong start or is the trolling post.  We can then use the same function for when a member has run afoul of the rules.  I can set it to any value - an hour, a day, a week etc. 

Besides the obvious rules for conduct, we also use one that has saved the moderators a heap of time.  If you are participating in a thread or reading one and it gets nasty, do not respond to it, just report it.  If however, you respond to the taunt or nasty post with a "your mamma wears whatever..."  and then you report it because the come back was better than yours or it devolved down to a nasty name calling thread, both posters are considered offenders and both get locked out for a couple of hours.  We don't have to constantly be locking down threads, just the problem users. 

A banned member is just that, banned and their IP (where possible) is locked out as well.  It has proved useful in preventing new user names popping up by a banned member and remaining unnoticed.  (the software will also recognize an IP address and label the new name as a former banned user so that the mods can catch that).  We also insist on a new member using a proper email address as opposed to a yahoo or hotmail account (and thereby reducing the amount of multiple user names). In the instance where a user does not have a rogers/eastlink/etc account, then an email to the site registration mod is required (amazing what those headers reveal).  Those persons are placed on a 10 post vetting process.  It's not a perfect way to deal with trouble but it helps reduce the impulse responder ias they are hampered and trolls get bored waiting for their posts. 

We also have very strict rules about using material from a PM in a main thread.  That gets you banned.  We also discourage cross posting from one site to another as well as following a member from one site to another and posting their info or posts.  Repeat offenders get bounced as it becomes impossible to tell the difference between vendetta, stalking and personal interest. 

Just some suggestions, hope some of them can lead to an exchange of ideas.

niner domestic said:
Ok, as I am a ardent supporter of the adage, don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution here goes:

We found through trial and error, that it is best as moderators to have certain threads and topics to moderate as opposed to the entire board. We have found that it very quickly becomes apparent which member frequents which topic and when and who is likely to cause a problem.  It does help to reduce the work load if one only has to concentrate on a few topics as opposed to an entire board.  We do have global moderators who can delete, edit and move anything across the entire board. Those moderators have agreed not to participate in any threads on a personal level and remain just global moderators. That comes in handy when there is a dispute and the thread needs to either edited severely or deleted.  There is little room then for accusation that the mod has a vendetta against so and so etc. The global mods have our own private area and threads to discuss our own issues with fellow patients/survivors in lieu of a full participation. We rotate through the global positions a month at a time.  For the thread/topic moderators, they are free to contribute/debate in any thread other than the ones they have been assigned to moderate (if a subject does comes up that they would like to participate in rather than moderate, the thread gets turned over to someone else and the mods buttons are disabled for the mod in that thread . 
The reason why we have 'global' moderators only is that because most moderators have a full time job or otherwise busy and cannot devote much time to moderating all the time. So, really, if there is a trouble, first mod on scene deals with it.
It gets to the point that some mods are way more active than others that sometimes no other mods need to be active. :)

With the system we have (the main one being 'Report to Mod' button to get a mod's attention), I believe the system we have works well, and no need to tinker

I think the mods are doing a wanderful job. Most of the times the individuals who have been C&P, Banned or Warned have all be given kind albeit some what rough nudges at the time to watch what they are saying, I believe it is necessary, because there are those who just NEVER listen.

As far as the very public warning system goes, I'll borrow something from someone a little older and a lot smarter than me, the name escapes me.....ahem: " Justice must not only be done, it must be SEEN to be done"....or words to that effect.  I may have appeared to be on the side of the insurgency through some of my posts in yesterdays dog's breakfast.  Rest assured that is NOT the case, I'm on the side of the grownups here all the way.  Keep doing what your doing, mods.

Wow, thanks niner, there's quite a lot to chew on there. I know we don't currently have the ability to vet posts before they are public, but I'd bet there's a package out there that will do it. I'll talk it over with the other Staff and see if it makes sense to give it a try.

I think RHF said it best about the global mod situation... it's not uncommon to have 1 or 2 Staff online during the slow times, so we give them the flexibility to deal with whatever comes their way.

I also appreciate the other suggestions... like I said, lots to consider there, I'm sure you've sparked some healthy discussion in the Staff board. :)

Cheers
Mike

niner domestic said:
We found through trial and error, that it is best as moderators to have certain threads and topics to moderate as opposed to the entire board. We have found that it very quickly becomes apparent which member frequents which topic and when and who is likely to cause a problem.  It does help to reduce the work load if one only has to concentrate on a few topics as opposed to an entire board.   We do have global moderators who can delete, edit and move anything across the entire board. Those moderators have agreed not to participate in any threads on a personal level and remain just global moderators. That comes in handy when there is a dispute and the thread needs to either edited severely or deleted.   There is little room then for accusation that the mod has a vendetta against so and so etc. The global mods have our own private area and threads to discuss our own issues with fellow patients/survivors in lieu of a full participation. We rotate through the global positions a month at a time.  For the thread/topic moderators, they are free to contribute/debate in any thread other than the ones they have been assigned to moderate (if a subject does comes up that they would like to participate in rather than moderate, the thread gets turned over to someone else and the mods buttons are disabled for the mod in that thread . 

9erD,

I highly respect the opinions and suggestions that you have brought forth here. Thank you very much. I'll let Mike address the programming issues as it's his program, but many of the things you've mentionned already occur WRT double-account/banned user notifications.

I don't think that the above suggestion is viable for this site though. The range of topics, trades, tours, equipment etc is endless. Obviously, the majority of my posts occur in the Logitics Forum. If I were to post in it...who would continue to moderate the Supply/Clothing topics in there? Beyond posting in those threads I get between 10-20 PMs a day related to supply or clothing matters which I attempt to answer as honestly as I can on an individual basis. It keeps me very busy. I don't mind at all. I think it's a valid suggestion, but I don't see it working for this site.

Especially when the other mods all sleep go to sleep at night at some point and I am the insomniac. Now if you could arrange with Mike to pay me overtime for my night-time hours....I'd be rich!!  ;D

Oh,

And on the public warning system; I'd just like to add that the overwhelming majority of pers who have been public bannered, have been privately warned on numerous occasions via PM prior to the official banner needing to be applied. So yes, sometimes when the official discipline gets done on the board with a nudge, it's not because we haven't tried to prevent it from becomming an offical nudge on the boards.

Mr.Bobbitt,
I have been visiting your site for quite a while now as also.other similar sites.Most of your members are highly interesting and do come up with valid arguments.Most are highly skilled in the art of putting their point across and the Mods are doing an excellent job in keeping order in the place.(which is a change from other places I have seen)This being said,I sometimes feel that younger,less experienced visitors,are being  quickly dismissed either by members or by Mods.Sure there are rules and if you want to keep some quality to your discussions there must be discipline.On the other hand,we have all been younger soldiers and sometimes we did put our foot in our mouth and that's called learning.Mods do have a job to do and it's quite all right.Your warning system is reasonable IMHO and as always transgressors should be put on notice and being told is also part of learning.Why change something that works?People who DO attack others should be told to stop and be taken care of accordingly,for the rest I believe that members and Mods alike can and do take matters in their hands and keep this site a great place.
Patience and time do a lot more than yelling and rage
Just one old guy
regards

Mike Bobbitt said:
The problem is, it's poisoning the atmosphere here and I know for a fact we are causing some highly respected members to run silent; others to leave all together. In essence, we are starting to drive out that which makes Army.ca unique.

This post will be unpopular. But since you asked sincerely, I will answer sincerely, if indelicately ...

The reason I enjoyed this site so much last year was that those who spoke to topics were almost always soldiers preparing for/conducting/returned from operations.
Those who did not have an expertise kept quiet or got shut down.

I have seen some extremely dismissive words thrown towards Afghanistan vets on boards that made me so angry I walked away from this site. The mods said nothing. In fact, some were guilty.

There are some people (including staff) on this board who are so far removed from what combat veterans are going through in 2007 that they feel they can throw out advice to them as if they were peers.

Let me be clear on this ... we are not their peers. Maybe in your fantasy worlds you are ... and it's a delusion. Talk to a few, and you might be cured.

Often when a good topic comes up, it gets dominated by people whose opinions really don't hold much weight with me. Sorry, but if you are sitting in a REMF job (as I am right now), a 15-year old cadet, or retired 20 years ago, you don't quite have your finger on the pulse of what is happening on ops, which is my area of interest.
You may have an idea of the Army at war, but you are not an authority.

In my opinion, the soldiers who gave this site its 'edge' have been largely run off by what I see as a lack of humour and a lack of respect mixed with the inflated importance of 'regulars' who need to suck back,  listen more and talk waaaayyy less.

Those who have first-hand experience of that war are those to whom we should listen - the fact that there are very few of them participating on this site speaks to the essence of the problem.
They have voted with their feet and largely disappeared, and with their departure went much of army.ca's credibility.
Sorry, but there it is.

Fixing the warning system etc. is just cosmetic. It's only the symptom, not the disease.

You need to figure out why the fighting soldeirs aren't here. Fix that problem, and your site will be awesome. Ignore it, and it'll get pretty lame.

I read your post probum non poenitet and I always considered this site to be more then accomodating and supportive of Afghanistan and Iraq vets. If you can provide links to those posts I am sure many of us would like to see this and be ready to address your concerns when/if they occur again.

probum non poenitet,

I also sent you a PM 1/2 hour ago asking for some links to incidents which you have outlined in your post below as I can not recall any of them occuring. Please send some links to the posts to which you refer.

But as a point of note with your post regarding Afghan Vets not being here, I can assure you that the IP tracking in the program reveals that there is indeed a great many pers here who are posting from theatre. I have checked some of their profiles and have found that their profile does not always reveal that they are currently serving overseas. So, I think that your concern in that area may be unfounded. Perhaps some of them may be a little busy right now with the roto handover that is occuring or are out at FOBs getting their harder work done and thus have not been able to post frequently as of late.

Please aslo remember that someone else's profile may not reveal them to be an Afghan Vet, when in actuality they may have done their turn there too. One can not judge one personal experience or knowledge based on their profile alone, especially if they have choosen to leave it blank or only partially filled out.

As for any Afghan Vet being treated poorly on this site because of that fact, I have searched for an example of what you have outlined below with no success. Any links to these posts which have caused you concern would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Veronica

P N P ,
I have read your post with high attention and as I was never engaged in war I will not comment on whether other soldiers are your peers or not or as to REMF's are in tune or  not. just say that one of the reasons that those of us who were lucky enough to serve in peace time do not join the legion is due to the attitude of those who were in war....I was there so I know better and the rest of you should be quiet.
The sacrifices made by our soldiers deserves respect and I for one do respect all of you.Be carefull not to shun away others who have not been there because then it creates  a wedge or classes in between soldiers and that,Sir,is not what the service is all about.
Maybe you feel that you were treated dismissively by others but how did you treat these others?Remember the old guys from the legion!
Just an old guy

Back