• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca ranking system (new idea)

yoman

Reaction score
I have had an idea for a while now that I would like to bring up.

In order to more affectively show the user's seniority on the board would it be a good idea to tie the ranking system with the time logged in and not just the number of posts the user has. This would eliminate people from just posting pointless stuff  to get a higher rank on the forum.

Example, to achieve new member status you would need the current 25 posts plus 5 hours logged in.
For junior member 50 posts plus 10 hours logged in.
etc...

I do not think it would be to difficult to implement as army.ca already keeps tabs of the number of hours a user has logged in.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before.

The only issue with that, is i could easily leave my computer idle (as i always do), and simply open Army.ca.

The number of posts and the length of time a user is logged on really matters little in the scheme of things. What does matter is the quality of posts you provide. There are some members who have hundreds of posts but are regarded as little more then buffons while there are newer members with under 100 that are already well respected. Of course it works both ways.

My idea is not meant to eliminate all the bad posts. Just to help reduce the useless posts people make on the forums in order to gain rank.

And for the just leaving your computer on. I suppose putting a maximum amount of time you can log in by just looking at 1 page. But that complicates things a lot.

One is already "booted" after 30 minutes anyway if idle.

yoman said:
My idea is not meant to eliminate all the bad posts. Just to help reduce the useless posts people make on the forums in order to gain rank.

You'll never be able to eliminate those idiotic posts.  The Staff/Mods can do that though.  They can police the people you are talking about to a certain extent.

If you feel they are useless use the Report to Moderator function but make sure its a valid complaint otherwise we may start to scrutinize your posts.

If someone wants to increase their rank here I say let them. One click will show how useless their posts are or the contrary.

Posts to Radio Chatter don't count now and that's where most of the noise happens...

I dunno, why mess with it? Not saying it's a bad idea....

Its more of a tool to deter some of the bad posts that could occur.

If I sees 'em I just deletes 'em. And sends a PM explaining it.

yoman said:
Its more of a tool to deter some of the bad posts that could occur.

The Mods keep an eye out for that, and if necessary remove them.  Here today - Gone Tomorrow......or within seconds.   ;D

We had that a while back and it was done away with...for reasons that I wasn't privy to at the time.

I'm sure Mike got rid of it for a good reason.

Regards

Rank though has no bearing as it is. Again, if you feel the post is useless let us know so we can decide and perhaps drop it into the Abyss. We do have that option :D

Well it was just a suggestion/idea.

You guys know what's best (I hope  ;D).

There is still a sort of Ranking system in place.  You, Yoman, are currently a Member, up from being a Guest.  There are Veterans and other Ranks also.  Then there are those Maple Leafs that indicate amount of time/posts etc.  So, in a way there still is a form of ranking the personages on the site.

Well keep your ideas coming, Mike is the boss after all, we are just his loyal minions.

I have an idea!  Let's have a ranking system where users can rate the posts of members with a + or -, and have the rating show on the side, by the users Avatar...  Oh wait.  >:D

While it pains me to say it (hehe) the mods are right here.  After a while, you learn who the good and bad posters are.  You also get to see the progression of some posters.  (When you've been here for a while, it's a hoot to go back and see what you wrote 6 months ago...  Before IAP/BOTP...  Then cringe as you read them again...)  ;D

T

Look at me? Im a vetern (how the hell did that happen?!) and i dont think anyone takes what i have to say with a grain of salt!  :D

Rank really doesnt mean a lot, other than provide you with a lot of reading material to validate someone (previous posts that is)

Back