• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca member Jim Seggie among group awarded Medals of Bravery

Jim,

I can do no more than to continue to echo the sentiments of everyone here who has posted on this thread before me.

Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees all others.

* Winston Churchill

Courage is being scared to death— and saddling up anyway.

* John Wayne

Cheers,
Dan.

Congratulations Hamish. This is the sort of thing that makes us all proud.  :salute:

All the best    Drummy

Lineman said:
Is this the Sargent Joe Penman who is a reservist in Wpg?

If so I'm not surprised Joe would not hesitate to act in a situation like this. I've had Joe work for me in his civilian job. His excellent work ethic, leadership, and professionalism  are, I'm sure, a result of his time with the CF. Well done Joe!

Yes this is that Joe Penman. He is one of the best!!

MWO Seggie: I only know you from your posts on this site. But, from those, I am not in the least surprised that you would do something like this.

Well done, all.

beer thing gone...
Congrats to all involved...
That Others May Live could easily be the CF motto for all the brave acts our folks do~~~
:salute:    :cdn:

Thanks very much. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that there were nine of us receiving this. Three of us (Joe Penman, Shaun Spence and I) are Royal Winnipeg Rifles. Mr Blair Hockin iis a retired Reg Force Medic.

BZ Jim, I missed this when it was posted originally!  I'm not the least bit surprised that you would put your own safety & comfort second to an effort to help someone else in their time of need, and I'm glad there are people in the world like that, we're all better off for it.

BZ to you Jim, and the others, Canada is a richer country for having people like you and them in it.  :salute:

Well done. If only there were more people willing to take risk on behalf of others as you and your fellow rescuers did, this country and this world would be a much better place.

Cheers

Congratulations to you MWO, and also to the brave comrades who were also with you.Not many people out there will do what you all did.Kudos.Ubique :cdn: :yellow: :nod:

Thank you very much, but there are also several deserving members that have been awarded the MSM:

http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=13884

Chief Warrant Officer Robert Daly, M.S.M., C.D.
Sergeant Marie Renay Groves, M.S.M., C.D.
Lieutenant-Colonel Duart Paul Townsend, M.S.M., C.D.
Master Warrant Officer John William Hooyer, M.S.M., C.D.  (aka "head and a half") - who is now Captain Hooyer aka "Captain Head and a Half
Corporal Derick Lewis, M.S.M.

Well done. I'm proud to serve with all of you! :salute:

Congrats Jim,

I received the Medal of Bravery in 2007. It's an incredible experience, going to Ottawa, meeting the GG (The new one for you). Something my family and I will alway's remember.

I believe you still get 3 guests. We had dinner at the Marriott restaurant above the hotel the night before the ceremony. Was excellent. Enjoy, you deserve it.

Good job, Jim (My old mentor). Good job to the other guys as well.

When did John Hooyer become a Captain? Is he still patricia?

Bump.....from Army News

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Winnipeg, Manitoba — It was a nightmare scene that took the lives of three people. But two lives were saved that day, thanks to the actions of an RCMP constable, a few civilians and the quick response of several members of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles (R Wpg Rif).

10-0876_1.jpg

Sgt Joseph Penman, R Wpg Rif, receives the Commissioner's Commendation for Bravery from RCMP Commissioner William J.S. Elliott.

On December 10, 2010, these heroes were awarded the Commissioner’s Commendation for Bravery – the highest recognition the RCMP can give them.

“We don’t normally give this to members of the Canadian Forces and it’s a special honour to do it today,” said RCMP Commissioner William Elliott.

Trapped

Sergeant Joseph Penman, Warrant Officer Shaun Spence and Master Warrant Officer Hamish (Jim) Seggie of the R Wpg Rif were en route to Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Shilo, Manitoba for routine training when they came upon a road accident. RCMP Constable Alfred Lavallee was trying to free the people trapped inside the burning vehicles.

10-0876_2.jpg

WO Shaun Spence, R Wpg Rif, receives the Commissioner's Commendation for Bravery from RCMP Commissioner William J.S. Elliott.

“It was so bright,” said Sgt Penman. “I don’t really remember the heat or the smoke, but it was the brightest thing I’ve ever seen.”

The three members, without any concern for their own safety, began pulling at the engulfed vehicles with their bare hands. MWO Seggie pulled pieces of one vehicle’s dashboard apart with nothing but his hands to free a man trapped inside. Sgt Penman and WO Spence, both using a pry bar and their bare hands, tried desperately to pull the van’s burning door open.

Quick response

As a result of their quick actions, a young girl and a man are alive today.

“They showed outstanding bravery and courage, in smoke so thick and black you could barely see,” said Corps Sergeant-Major Gene Maeda, Master of Ceremonies for the awarding of the Commissioner’s Commendation.

All three members credit their training for their ability to jump into action.

10-0876_3.jpg

MWO Hamish (Jim) Seggie, Joint Personnel Support Unit Prairie Region and R Wpg Rif member, receives the Commissioner's Commendation for Bravery from RCMP Commissioner William J.S. Elliott.

“We didn’t even have to think, you just act,” said MWO Seggie. “With these men from my unit, I knew I could trust them to be doing what they needed to do.”

Torn

The three soldiers remain torn about what happened that day. Although they acted quickly, the fire was too intense to save everyone and finally drove them back.

“We didn’t want to give up,” said WO Spence. “Eventually, Constable Lavallee pulled us back because of the danger.”

When it was all done, these three men—who had just done an incredibly brave and selfless thing—simply continued on to CFB Shilo for their training, as scheduled.

“We just focused on the weekend,” said Sgt Penman. “We didn’t really talk about it at all.”

Article by Lt Donna Riguidel, 17 Wing Public Affairs
Photos by Cpl Bill Gomm
Project Number: 10-0876

NFLD Sapper said:
Bump.....from Army News
“We don’t normally give this to members of the Canadian Forces and it’s a special honour to do it today,” said RCMP Commissioner William Elliott.
Project Number: 10-0876

I can't say anything more than what has been said in this thread.
I'm pretty goddamn proud to live in a country populated with people like you, and your brethren, Mr. Seggie.
:salute:

HS

Back