• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

army and free time

e_pelletier

Inactive
Reaction score
hi ,

I'm a "wanna be in the army guy", every thing is in progress and I'm playing the waiting game right now, i was wondering something about a personnel issue,

what about free time? i like to bang on guitars for about 1 of hour a day, i know that the only time ill be able to play during basic is on my week ends off at home. thats simple logic,

but what about during my field course, will i be able to play, if so when ?

and what about after , once i get my privates rank.

i know I'm doing this for my Carrier and all but still, banging on a guitar is also part of my life.

OK, I do not know the answer to this question, and I am curious myself, so I am going to rephrase the question:

Once trained, how long each day will be spent working, is it a typicall 8 hr work day, or is it significantly longer?

e_pelletier said:
i know that the only time ill be able to play during basic is on my week ends off at home. thats simple logic,

i know I'm doing this for my Carrier and all but still, banging on a guitar is also part of my life.

well, as far as i know, you wont get many weekends off (pending on your course staff). I feel your pain, but its just a sacrifice you gotta live with. Its just on course though, you wont get too rusty. (I doubt your guitar will fit in your barracks box!  ;D)

As for ToRN, from what I've heard, its close to a regular 8 hour day (or close to), but thats not every day. it fluctuates. Keep in mind, im not speaking from direct experience, just hearsay.

ToRN said:
Once trained, how long each day will be spent working, is it a typicall 8 hr work day, or is it significantly longer?

The "average" garrison work day is 0800-1600... but I say average, because it depends on so many factors.

My regiment is 0720 - 1630, but the officers & Sr NCO usually stay past this time.

Each unit has its own hours.  Some start sooner or end later.  Some work longer days than others.

that's fine, right now, I am working from 06:30-14:30 at my job, I just wanted to know what the hours were like, thank you everyone.

The free time you will have after initial basic and trades training will vary from trade to trade. Some trades will be mostly Mon.to Fri. aprox. 08:00 to 16:30 hrs. Others could be shift work around the clock covering all days of the week. In combat arms it will be mostly Mon. to Fri. while in garrison and very long hours when in the field. After saying this there will be times this will change due to changing situations.
During your basic and initial trades training your free time may be limited.

Best Wishes  

"Army and free time" 

Isn't that an oxymoron??

Navy and free time, now that's accurate (when borne on ship).  If you want to play guitar, there's the place to be.  And before any Naval personnel get all up in arms, this wasn't meant to be offensive.  Anyone that disagrees with my free time comment, has never been posted to a ship.  I'm not saying that you don't work while posted there, just that there are many available "free time" moments.

Chimo!

E_pelletier, back to your question, leave the guitar at home during basic, and during field exercises, on average most units work about an 8 hour day, you'll have lots of time play after hours.  I know guys who have started bands in the military.

I know here at RMC (aka: not the real military) we have lots of time for personal persuits, provided you don't have homework or anything like that. Not sure about other units, but I'm just saying in my experience, lots of free time. Theres a guy down the hall from me playing his guitar right now...

Back