• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Taking Over as a FOO-Discussion

snowpuncher

Inactive
Reaction score
It has come to our attention that the armoured personnel think that they can take over our jobs as FOO S or FOO TECHS. What is next are we going to give our guns to service battalion.

I'm sure with the training they could, what we're the only intelligent enough to do it?
Like was said earlier how has it come to "our" attention and also to put some credibility on yourself how about a little info in your profile?
Not a good way to start here on army.ca :-[

Last year all Infantry MCpl's & Sgt's in 32 CBG got a lecture and practical practice (on SAT) on how to act as a FOO.  This doesn't mean we're looking to get rid of arty FOO's, just that we need to be able to do the job if you're not around.

48Highlander said:
Last year all Infantry MCpl's & Sgt's in 32 CBG got a lecture and practical practice (on SAT) on how to act as a FOO. This doesn't mean we're looking to get rid of arty FOO's, just that we need to be able to do the job if you're not around.

I'm guessing it was not a FOO per se, but how to call a fire mission acting as the observer. This may be where the confusion lies. All Arm'd Recce guys can and do call Fire Missions. It, along with the radio, are our main weapons. Calling Fire Missions however, are a long way away from what an Arty FOO does. For example, we are not responsible for setting out the Bg Fire Plan or registering targets. Look at the Fire Mission in the Unit SOP's. It's almost two and a half page format is a far cry from the Fire Mission we send compared to what the FOO deals with. He fills in the blanks for us to the guns. As far forward as we are, it's seldom we would talk directly to the Arty CP, but would pass everything through the FOO.

You're right, I guess I was misusing the term.  Just goes to demonstrate that we're not about to take over their jobs any time soon :)

being  currently employed in a foo party there is a on  going decision that the armoured will be deployed in the future as foo party's on operations . so basically it is saying that they can do my job in which i beg to differ.

Recceguy is correct.  All crew commanders in the Armour are trained to call in Artillery, with or without a FOO.  Some Armour are fully qualified FOO and FAC, but not a lot of them.  Some of us also trained to use the tanks as indirect fire weapon platforms, but that training was cut out quite a few years ago.  It required ammunition.  And time.  Both were taken away.

But take over all the duties of the FOO?  Ain't gonna happen.

Believe the Armour guys that post here.

Don't believe all the rumours you hear.

snowpuncher said:
so basically it is saying that they can do my job in which i beg to differ.

Nor are you capable of doing mine at the moment.  ;D However, with the adequate training we COULD do each other's job. Let's not quibble though, like Lance said, to paraphrase, "quit panicing". :salute: Once again though, if you have something concrete to back your claim, other than rumour and innuendo, I'd be interested to see it.

I think it would be good for more people to learn this skills. 
Infantry recce and snipers also learn this craft in more detail then the standard infantry soilder.

I think what snow puncher is talking about is the employment of Armoured Guys in traditional Arty roles on peace support operations. For example, Athena ROTO 3, there was a debate on whether the FAC position would be manned by the RCD or 2 Horse. Bottom line is that, neither side should worry, I don't want to be a Recce Guy and I'm almost positive the they don't want to be a FOO or FOO Tech. This is something that is being decided at levels much higher than mine, as every trade is trying to map out thier domain.
The problem for the guns is that on PSOs a fire planning forward observers are not normally needed, and the FAC and FOO Tech are qualifications that the Armour guys can get, if the armoured take these jobs on PSOs them the guns loose a significant operational commitment(often the only Arty guys that go with a Battle Group are the FOO Parties).

And Lance remember that Recce guys can be FOO Techs and FACs, not FOOs... I know it's a very small point, but I'm being picky today...

If I may hesitate to take a guess as to where this rumour may have started: it may be from the fact that Armd can now be more proficient in calling in a first round hit on their first correction during a Fire Mission using the Coyote Surveillance Suite.  The Coyote Surv Suite is very accurate and that may be why the Arty are coming on board and looking at getting the next generation of this suite.  This in no way implies that the Armd OPS are going to take over the FOO and/or FAC roles from the Arty, only that Armd Crewmen will be more effective and proficient at calling in Fire Missions in the Armour role.

GW

All Hel Observers were qualified FOO, not FOO Tech.

That's where our qualified guys came from, not from any training ongoing now....I should have been clearer when I said some Armour are qualified.

Lance, Never heard of that, if I'm wrong then I stand corrected, I was not aware the armoured guys who were employed as airborne observers attended the Arty Field Troop Comd Crse.

A couple of points here I would like to put input on. The supported arms pers that take the FOO Tech course are not assessed on several PO's that the Gunners require in order to obtain the qualification. The Coyote surveliance suite for obtaining first round hits, has flaws from my personal experience, the camera shows the target only in two dimensions, not 3, which is required to verify tgt rounds, this is even more apparent when firing fuzed ammuntion. It takes to long for the suite to be deployed and can only be used in static positions, not during mobile operations. From watching the supported arms call in fire in the IFT, the majority of the shoots are strictly A/N, in the supported arms call for fire, with no zone and standard Met conditions, any variations cause considerable trouble and ineffective fire. The final point is the difference between, my loc stat and tgt loc stat (from the TAC NAV), which has resulted in check firing on several occasions. I give the guys credit for trying, but the time it takes us to learn, after the course is years of constant practice. To assume that because I did one course does make me qualified, but proficient is a different story.

I agree with CFL i think they should be aware of how to call in Arty Fire... just last year i helped out a Recce patrol course and gave them some bullets so they can call in Arty fire and which they did.. but this will not take the job away from use they still have to fire plan and and link up to the guys on the ground... everybody has a place on the battel field but you should at least have a grip on what others are doing and how they are going to react....and its good to teach other people how to call in arty fire and also give them a touch of calling in fast air... it just gives you thats much more info... i now how to use that Radar in the Coyote does that make me a Recce god????? no it just lets me no what it can do and what it cant do..... :salute:

First off......The Coyote will not be adjusting fire by the use of its cameras, it will be adjusting fire with the radar and FLIR and on the computer.  Armd Surv Ops are quite proficient with the use of their equipment (when it works) and a single round adjustment onto tgt is just the movement of a cursor on their screen.  The system is constantly being improved on and soon they will have 3D maps to work with.

Get out sometime and watch them do their thing.

As I said earlier, the Armd crews are not going to be replacing FOO or FAC pers, just becoming more proficient at their jobs.  If the FOO and FAC parties get the Surv Suites, they will have the same problems with setup/tear down times, and will have to use their current methods for action on the move.

GW

I did get out there and watch, actually I fired a couple of missions, using the method the Armoured said they plan to use it. If the FOO/FAC parties get their surv. suites? As far as we know there is no plan for this, currently we use the MSTAR, which has differences than the one in the Coyote. We use the MSTAR with the new LAV OPV. As for the Armoured replacing the FOO/FAC parties, I understand snowpunchers argument and the reason for his original post, and can verify it.

Well, the verification I'd like to see is not some rumour tossed around in the mess, or a bunch of guys tossing out ideas. If it's come down as fact, it should be on paper somewhere.

As im sure Rocky 31 can attest to,the armed forces does have a good piece of kit in the surveillance suite but that just means the higher ups will overtask them elsewhere and even, god forbid, deploy an arty foo party to do surveillance.I believe what weve got here is another rumour started around the mess table that got mixed with both fact and fiction.I guess it comes from that hidden fear of further military cutbacks and how to deal with them.In the end though I would welcome the idea that on a battlefield, any soldier could call in fire provided they do it as per standard "strictly in accordance with the intention of the originator, and with a minimum of delay" :skull: :cdn: :skull:

Back