• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Reconnaissance Crewman (reserve)

user681

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi I have a quick question regarding Armoured Reconnaissance Crewman..
1.Do you need to have good eyesight to be an armoured crewman?
2.I'm currently in school and I might be doing intern during the summer..how would that affect my BMQ training?

Thanks in advance

I wear glasses and my eyesight isn't the best but I still do the job just fine. In fact, quite a few guys in my unit wear glasses and they have no problems.

As far as your BMQ goes, you can probably take it during the fall/winter on weekends. Though in the summer you'll have to go away to a training center for a month to do your DP1.

AgentSmith said:
I wear glasses and my eyesight isn't the best but I still do the job just fine. In fact, quite a few guys in my unit wear glasses and they have no problems.

As far as your BMQ goes, you can probably take it during the fall/winter on weekends. Though in the summer you'll have to go away to a training center for a month to do your DP1.

What is DP1??? Is it mandatory??
Also what kind of role/training do you do as a armour recs crewman?

user681 said:
Also what kind of role/training do you do as a armour recs crewman?

Well for DP1 you basically learn how to drive a G-wagon, use a radio and do some Armored Fighting Vehicle recognition. From there you're usually employed as a driver or observer at your unit. Your job will be simple, drive the G-wagon around and learn as much as you can about the job of a recce crewman. After DP1 you'll go on DP2 (I'm just finishing my DP2 now) You learn all about the different recce types, your job as a crewman and more AFV :p Although most of that stuff you should at least have a basic knowledge of from going on exercises with your unit.

The great thing about going into Armored Recce is that there are so many different jobs you can do. In my unit we have a saying "Semper Gumby" always flexible. It's one of the most diverse jobs in the Army. One day you could be out doing a route recce, the next, a VCP, then be tasked to do a point recce on an objective (and not always by vehicle)

You spend about half the time in a vehicle and the other half dismounted on foot (in theory anyway) in reality it all depends on the mission (as we say, situation and ground will dictate) 

CDN Aviator said:
Trades training.

Of course it is.

Sorry I meant the one month training during summer.. I mean I know the D1 training is mandatory but is it possible to do it at a different time than summer

AgentSmith said:
Well for DP1 you basically learn how to drive a G-wagon, use a radio and do some Armored Fighting Vehicle recognition. From there you're usually employed as a driver or observer at your unit. Your job will be simple, drive the G-wagon around and learn as much as you can about the job of a recce crewman. After DP1 you'll go on DP2 (I'm just finishing my DP2 now) You learn all about the different recce types, your job as a crewman and more AFV :p Although most of that stuff you should at least have a basic knowledge of from going on exercises with your unit.

The great thing about going into Armored Recce is that there are so many different jobs you can do. In my unit we have a saying "Semper Gumby" always flexible. It's one of the most diverse jobs in the Army. One day you could be out doing a route recce, the next, a VCP, then be tasked to do a point recce on an objective (and not always by vehicle)

You spend about half the time in a vehicle and the other half dismounted on foot (in theory anyway) in reality it all depends on the mission (as we say, situation and ground will dictate)
Do reserve go through D2 as well?

user681 said:
Sorry I meant the one month training during summer.. I mean I know the D1 training is mandatory but is it possible to do it at a different time than summer

Not that I know of. As far as I know it's all run during the summer. I heard rumors of a weekend DP1 course but I've never seen one run, and I doubt one will ever be run. DP2 however, can be done on weekends.

You need DP2 to progress onto other courses like PLQ. So no, you don't need to take it unless you're happy staying as a Pte (or Cpl) for the rest of your career.

AgentSmith said:
Not that I know of. As far as I know it's all run during the summer. I heard rumors of a weekend DP1 course but I've never seen one run, and I doubt one will ever be run. DP2 however, can be done on weekends.

You need DP2 to progress onto other courses like PLQ. So no, you don't need to take it unless you're happy staying as a Pte (or Cpl) for the rest of your career.
You would have to first complete BMQ during weekends before doing DP training right?

user681 said:
You would have to first complete BMQ during weekends before doing DP training right?

You are required to complete BMQ and BMQ-L (whether it's part-time on the weekends or full-time during the summer) before you are able to go on DP1 & DP2 courses.

lethalLemon said:
You are required to complete BMQ and BMQ-L (whether it's part-time on the weekends or full-time during the summer) before you are able to go on DP1 & DP2 courses.
So let's say I have not completed BMQ before summer..I wouldn't be able to take the D1 training..? Would I be doing BMQ during summer then?

user681 said:
So let's say I have not completed BMQ before summer..I wouldn't be able to take the D1 training..?

Thats correct.

I believe most units are running BMQ's in the fall and winter months now, that way they can get troops trained faster and onto their DP1 as soon as possible. I know at least here in 31 CBG they don't offer summer BMQ's anymore (except for the Navy reserves) Though BMQ-Land is offered during the summer so if you start your weekend BMQ in the winter months you can still get your BMQ-L and DP1 all in one summer.

i am just finishing my DP1 weekend course....they do exist  ;D 

I'm naval reservist currently going through process of CT-OT to Reg F armoured soldier.
I don't have my driver's license. I know that it's not required for DND 404
but would you suggest that I get the license or does it not matter?

cheers,  :salute:

AgentSmith said:
You need DP2 to progress onto other courses like PLQ. So no, you don't need to take it unless you're happy staying as a Pte Trooper (or Cpl) for the rest of your career.

Fixed that one up.

user681 said:
Hi I have a quick question regarding Armoured Reconnaissance Crewman..
1.Do you need to have good eyesight to be an armoured crewman?
2.I'm currently in school and I might be doing intern during the summer..how would that affect my BMQ training?

Thanks in advance

Here is a link to CF medical standards, including the Common Enrolment Medical Standard.  Vision and color vision standards are part of it.

The med standard for Crewmen is 333225.

Back