• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Phase training.

Lt.Mortormer

Inactive
Reaction score
Its been awhile since I posted here (Had to re-register) , I was a Cpl in Shilo at 1 RCHA as a Sig OP. But fought and received my commission in 2007. Originally I was a MARS officer, no thanks! Completed my NETPO and the academic phase of MARS III, and I won my argument and was given a reassignment, going back to the green machine. Don't get me wrong the Navy is great in its own way, but I love the army jut the same.

I have chosen to become an Armored Officer, but finding it hard to get information and phase training time frames. I know what the courses consists of but not an up to date length for each phase even the PSO  ??? cannot give me the length of time for each course. I know they are in Gagetown.

• Phase II - CAP
  • Phase III
  • Phase IV

Anyone know the length for each? I have a wife and 4 kids, just so I can prepare them for the length of time away, also if the training has large gaps and are lengthy then a possible posting as I did in '02 which was for 11 months.

Also How long am I looking before I make Full Lt? After what phase and added when Capt. Just curious, I know it will happen eventually, just I am 32 and looking to the future a bit. Also I want to compare it to the MARS trade, which takes forever till you get your second full bar.

Any info would be great!  :salute:

Judge  :cdn:

Mr. Wallace,

I noticed you are quite a wealth of knowledge as there are many, but the wallace name jumps at me. I the love movie brave heart.

There is alot of information for the armored NCM, do you have anything for the armoured officer side of the house?

I am not army stupid, but definitely armour naive, and looking to the wealth knowledge for information, I have been in for a few years and know where to put my ear to the ground, similarly know not to pretend to "know everything" cause I am an Officer.

Looking at the other forums, well I am an ex-Sig Op, and don't hold that against me. I spent the last 5 years in Shilo with 1 RCHA. I was c/s Det commander for the last 2 years. Then went NAVY, holy culture shock, and I think they were going to make me wear the red/green gloves LOL.

I am asking you directly because I have many views but no replies.

Thanks

Judge  :cdn:

Mort,

Welcome to the Corps!

You will take Developmental Period (DP) 1 Armoured Reconnaissance Troop Leader following your Common Army Phase (CAP).  CAP is an all-arms course and teaches you lead soldiers within the context of an dismounted infantry section.  You will learn a bunch of weapons as well, but the emphasis is on leadership in the field. The course is around eleven weeks long.

Following CAP you will go to the Armour School for DP 1 which is broken into two modules.  DP 1.1 is eleven weeks long and teaches you how to crew command a recce vehicle (Coyote) and is essentially the old Phase III.  You will learn 25mm gunnery and then go to the field for tactical crew commanding.  DP 1.2 is also eleven weeks long (the old Phase IV) and assesses you as a Troop Leader (eight vehicles including your own).  Much of this course is spent in the field.

Scheduling of these courses will vary from year to year depending on a host of factors.  It can be possible for the three courses (CAP, DP 1.1, DP 1.2 at three months each) to be pretty much back to back, but there can also be long breaks between them based on operational tempo.  Even if they are pretty much back to back I would plan on a year.  If you cease training for any number of reasons your time awaiting completion will obviously be longer, and there could be prolonged breaks between CAP, DP 1.1 and DP 1.2 based on a operational reasons. 

Following DP 1.2 you are qualified DP 1 Armour Recce Tp Leader and can be sent to a Regiment as a Troop Leader.  Promotion to Lieutenant is based on being qualified DP 1 and having a year in rank as a 2Lt.  Some guys get promoted to Lt almost immediately if they have been 2Lts in the training system for a while.  Promotion to Captain will usually be two years after your promotion to Lt.  There are no more Armour courses to take to get to Captain, but you will be going through the bits and pieces of the AJOSQ (OPMEs and such).  You take two common courses as a Captain (ATOC at the Tactics School and AOC in Kingston), but you have some more immediate objectives to conquer first.

Don't worry about your age since there is nothing you can do about it (I joined the Reg F at 26).  Just bash on!

Thanks Tango, helps alot.  By reading that I should get my Lt when I finish DP1.2. Excellent.

YA I know just bash on I joined the RegF @ 25. Cant wait to go back to the green machine.

I am wondering if I can get the wife and kids posted to Gagetown then since I am looking a year or close to anyway. I know they did it for my 3's that was 6 months but turned out to be 11 months in total with PAT time.

Thanks though,

Judge :cdn:

I am not sure about relocation policies for personnel who are not MOC qualified as it has been nine years since I dealt with those in any detail.  I advise you to go to your chain of command with this issue (I am making the assumption that you are currently serving and in some form of PAT platoon).  They have probably dealt with similar issues recently and would know the regulations. 

Thanks, I have asked just that and as usual people always send me to another. When the time comes I will do my own research and  find the answer. I had to do it before, it all good. You know what they say, ur your own best carreer manager.

Judge :cdn:

You best bet is to ask Cap Sung in Gagetown, he will be able to help you. :salute:

Back