• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are you an officer? Get in this thread

dvh1

Inactive
Reaction score
I have a question for any officer currently in the military. Do you think the dollar amount you get paid is fair for the amount of work you do? This is a serious question, I have done lots of research on pay scales, duties and responsibilities.

Obviously im expecting a lot of people to say they don't do it for the pay but I am looking for an honest answer. How is you financial lifestyle? Are you living check to check? Are you able to save money and still live a slightly above average lifestyle?

Did life change for you when you made the pay scale jump from LT to Captain?

Thanks in advance for answers!

dvh1 said:
I have a question for any officer currently in the military. Do you think the dollar amount you get paid is fair for the amount of work you do? This is a serious question, I have done lots of research on pay scales, duties and responsibilities.

Obviously im expecting a lot of people to say they don't do it for the pay but I am looking for an honest answer. How is you financial lifestyle? Are you living check to check? Are you able to save money and still live a slightly above average lifestyle?

Thanks in advance for answers!

That question is pretty much impossible to answer on a broad brush.  Everyone lives differently; some save lots, some splurge on the latest gadget.  Therefore, some will end up saving lots while some will end up living pay-to-pay due to all the things they buy. 

You've done the research on pay scales, so you know how well (or poorly) we are paid compared to equivalent (if applicable) jobs in the civilian sector.

dvh1 said:
Are you living check to check?

Although I am not a Commissioned Officer, I am curious how hockey is connected to finances of a CF Officer.  8)

Eye In The Sky said:
Although I am not a Commissioned Officer, I am curious how hockey is connected to finances of a CF Officer.  8)

Nice. ;D

To the OP: Yes and no to the question about if the pay is fair.  It really depends on ALOT of factors (your field of expertise, MOSID/civilian comparisons, experience, etc).

Looking at my self as a Mechanical Engineer (civi qualification) / MSENG 00345 (mil MOSID) at a pure pay perspective:
-> as an apprentice EIT (starting out): hell yes the pay is great
-> when I have my PEng license (come this June): pay lacks most certainly (if you exclude the benefits + pension possibilities)
-> overtime = there is no overtime pay in the military (ship is off the wall and your 24/7 working with the same pay), civilian side yes and huge (civilian side wins out here, I would make a killing if I worked as hard as I do in the service).  If you are already in the service then you know overtime is a fantasy at best.
->Pay increase from SLt/Lt to Capt/Lt(N): It wasn't significant due to my entry method (this happens to UTPNCMs/SCPs/CFRs; DEO, CEOTP and ROTP will get a huge increase).  If you are in the ranks taking the commission will bump your pay slightly.

Now lets introduce benefits, pension, job stability, and experiences into the equation and generally the military wins out.  I could go on, as many on this board will... I have seen fellow NCM/Officers get out over the pay, be successful civilian side, but not happy for some reason... and sure enough there they are in uniform walking in the gate line up into the dockyard to proceed aboard one of the greyhound of deaths getting ready to proceed to sea.  I have a silent good laugh when I see it.

So for me the above factors weigh in much more than the pay.  I definitely suggest you familiarize yourself with www.forces.ca and through this website, have a chat with a recruiter; or go to your closest recruiting center (CFRC).  At the end of the day, despite the proverbial crap that comes with being in the military, I know I like my job over the last 12 years as I am still smiling.

edit: clarity

This price you "can" pay in the military isn't fair for the work you do, I mean what do you value a life at these days?

You can live a great life in the military, I mean where else as a DEO directly out of University can you make $40k+ per year and get more experience in leadership in your first 5 years then 15 years on civi side.

But like anything if you are looking for a big paying job, the military isn't it, you'll never make a million a year working for the Forces. 

Most people don't do it for the money, but do it to serve their country and help out those in need. 

I get paid a ridiculous amount of money for the work I do.  I, however, don't get to choose where I live, move every 3-4 years and deal with an antiquated administration and discipline system that fails to work efficiently. So in the end, I get what I get

Why do you want to know?

Otherwise, it's just another silly question that I'm not paid enough to answer.

Zoomie said:
I get paid a ridiculous amount of money for the work I do.  I, however, don't get to choose where I live, move every 3-4 years and deal with an antiquated administration and discipline system that fails to work efficiently. So in the end, I get what I get

That should be engraved on some kind of column somewhere. Awesome.  :salute:

Zoomie said:
So in the end, I get what I get

daftandbarmy said:
That should be engraved on some kind of column somewhere.

As a sobering thought, the slogan "Jedem das Seine" (German proverb meaning "to each his own" or "to each what he deserves") was over the entrance to the Buchenwald concentration camp. When the camp was then used from 1945-50 as an internment camp for Nazi prisoners, the slogan stayed.

Zoomie said:

Do all pilots move every 3-4 years or is it an optional thing?

Reaper-1 said:
Do all pilots move every 3-4 years or is it an optional thing?

Postings are optional.

You can accept the posting, or release.

dapaterson said:
Postings are optional.

You can accept the posting, or release.

At first I was all like....."#$%$ing pilots..."
And then I was all like...."oh, I see what you're saying now"

:^)

Just so we're clear, the OP's question should not be confined just to officers. Neither should most of the answers in this thread.

To answer the OP, yes I think I get paid very well for what I do. There is a lot of responsibility often tacked on to it, a certain lack of freedom to go along with it as well as restrictions on your location and other necessities of military life, but overall it's a great paycheque.

As for whether it means any or all officers are living the good life, as many have already pointed out, it's individual. Some have tons of kids some have none; some have spouses that also work, some have ones that don't; some have divorces, school debts, and dependent family members; some blow their paycheque on toys, some invest right off the bat; and due to these and a myriad of other factors, some officers are living paycheque to paycheque and others are looking at retiring early to a very comfortable lifestyle.

I've seen Corporals making 55k/yr set for life and Majors making 105k/yr who can barely get by. I've seen Lieutenants looking at putting down a 25% downpayment on their first house, and MWOs at the end of their 30 year career looking for a second job to support their retirement. As with all in life, it boils down to choices and circumstances and no one person's financial situation is the same as another's. *descends from soap box*

As an OCdt you get paid dirt.    If you ask me, no one in the military gets paid what they ought to (especially combat arms soldiers/officers) given the work or risk they sign up for.

Granted unless you're a single parent with kids you should do okay and even then between the bank and you...it'll work.

I live in Ottawa with a roommate with a car and shoot on my own time often (expensive hobby).  I also have about 10k in debt.  Sure I'll get rid of that when I get my commission but still if you do ROTP it'll be tight and even tighter if you want a car or any leisurely spending but not undoable.

Rogo said:
As an OCdt you get paid dirt.   
I agree that the OCdt salary is low; I don't agree that we get paid dirt.

Factoring in free tuition, free books, and subsidized supplies, ROTP is one of the single most affordable ways to go through university.  You, as a a Civ U student, are also permitted to work a part time job to supplement your income if you so desire.

You're far better off than most students in the country, and depending on life circumstances (some imposed, some chosen), you can absolutely get through school either debt free, or with far lower debt than your civilian peers.

Considering we do very little training and virtually no operating during 4 years of school, I think we get paid just fine.

I agree! I'm a ROTP OCdt at a Civvi U and have a part time job. Yes, its difficult to make ends meet sometimes but show me a student who isn't.

dvh1 said:

My answer to this question from the OP:  In my opinion, one of the greatest keys to financial success in life is being able to answer "no" when answering this question.  The biggest change in my life when I made the "jump":  My monthly savings increased from about two hundred dollars to about twelve hundred.  Every thing else stayed the same for me, my stay at home wife, and my 5 kids.  And now, we enjoy a greater degree of financial security, because we made a concerted effort not to let the "jump" in pay change our lifestyle. 

Find the lifestyle you are comfortable with, live accordingly, and any money you earn beyond what is needed to support that lifestyle: save (and save wisely - savings accounts are not cool.)  Growing your lifestyle in a manner commensurate to your paycheck is very hard to undo if life ever throws you a curve ball, especially once you have a family.

And life has a Bitchin' curve ball.

Back