• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are we becoming too Politically Correct?

Mediman14

Inactive
Reaction score
We all witness in todays society the amount of changes that have taken place. Some is good changes, some is just silly. An example of this is the recent change of sports team being force to change their names because after many years some people are taking offense to it. The NFL team Washington Redskins after 50 + years now have to change their name. I could think of many other things to complain about, such as social policies, etc.
It been awhile since my basic training days, I do remember people being called out for their mistakes, not to embarrass them, but to correct an inappropriate action. I do recognize many things we did in the CAF was not right but we have gone to the extreme. These days, we can't do that without someone feeling ashamed or feel that everyone is out to get them. I could think of so many instances within the CAF that are to politically correct.

Mod edit to fix spelling of thread title

Dude, I'm triggered :)

I'm no fan of the overly aggressive PC approaches that seem in fashion. However, if I compare it to what we considered a 'normal' way to treat people 30 or 40 years ago (yes, in the Army that long) I have to say that today's approaches are vastly preferable in a variety of ways.

I'll be in the hot tub over here, waiting to be cancelled ....

Sassy Over It GIF by Nickelodeon

Dude, I'm triggered :)

I'm no fan of the overly aggressive PC approaches that seem in fashion. However, if I compare it to what we considered a 'normal' way to treat people 30 or 40 years ago (yes, in the Army that long) I have to say that today's approaches are vastly preferable in a variety of ways.

I'll be in the hot tub over here, waiting to be cancelled ....

Sassy Over It GIF by Nickelodeon
You are right about that. Some ways that people was treated 30-40 years ago is just wrong. I remember on a harrassment briefing, a question was asked, "If a person overheard a conversation between other people that offended the person over hearing it, could they make a harrassment complaint?" Maybe I am wrong, but to me this is ridiculous.

You are right about that. Some ways that people was treated 30-40 years ago is just wrong. I remember on a harrassment briefing, a question was asked, "If a person overheard a conversation between other people that offended the person over hearing it, could they make a harrassment complaint?" Maybe I am wrong, but to me this is ridiculous.
So, if a person of colour hears two people using the "N" word in conversation, or an indigeneous person hears a conversation about how "lazy Indians are just a bunch of alcoholics", they shouldn't be offended?? Or they shouldn't report it as harrassment?

Regardless of your views or opinions, know your audience.

So, if a person of colour hears two people using the "N" word in conversation, or an indigeneous person hears a conversation about how "lazy Indians are just a bunch of alcoholics", they shouldn't be offended?? Or they shouldn't report it as harrassment?
how about a politician overhears two people saying that politicians are leaches sucking the country dry. Should he/she be offended? Should he report it as harassment? Please note that I am not belittling the pain that such offense can cause but we need to call it quits on the 'I am so offended that I can't sleep anymore' arguments and accept the fact that some people are just plain ignorant and leave it at that so that truly offensive attacks can be given the priority that they deserve.

how about a politician overhears two people saying that politicians are leaches sucking the country dry. Should he/she be offended? Should he report it as harassment? Please note that I am not belittling the pain that such offense can cause but we need to call it quits on the 'I am so offended that I can't sleep anymore' arguments and accept the fact that some people are just plain ignorant and leave it at that so that truly offensive attacks can be given the priority that they deserve.
So is there a threshold for harassment/offensive speech? A category? A race/religion/occupation? What about Newfie jokes? Your post raises the operative question.

Have some people taken it too far? Probably, but those cases tend to get ridiculed or short shrift in the administrative/justice system. Are some people more easily offended either on their own behalf or someone they don't know? Yup, we see it constantly. It is a fairly recent burgeoning phenomenon magnified by the ubiquity of social media, and therefore much more accessible to all than in times past, where most media would assess the accusation, and then often not waste ink. But we have always had some folks in that space, who got some ink.

Society tends to work to balance these things out eventually. Check out "Karens" links/videos on Youtube and other platforms. And some folks will never stop. Zealots, bigots, conspiracy theorists, opportunists, those feeling offended themselves, etc etc.

The example of politicians is probably not the most illustrative to determine what is real harassment/offensive speech. I, for one, would have to plead guilty if someone overheard my musings on a number of past and current politicians. That said, I believe that most people know what would be considered offensive/harassment. And for those who deliberately or continually cross the line....hammer them.

IMO being belittled for your occupation is nowhere near the same as being called out for your ethnicity or religion.

I was coming at this from the lower portion of the threshold, not genocide and public incitement of hatred.
Well, then, there's the also-imperfect-and-messy mix of human rights legislation/regulation, with both this and the CCC laying out race and religion, if not occupation.

So is there a threshold for harassment/offensive speech? A category? A race/religion/occupation? What about Newfie jokes? Your post raises the operative question.

Have some people taken it too far? Probably, but those cases tend to get ridiculed or short shrift in the administrative/justice system. Are some people more easily offended either on their own behalf or someone they don't know? Yup, we see it constantly. It is a fairly recent burgeoning phenomenon magnified by the ubiquity of social media, and therefore much more accessible to all than in times past, where most media would assess the accusation, and then often not waste ink. But we have always had some folks in that space, who got some ink.

Society tends to work to balance these things out eventually. Check out "Karens" links/videos on Youtube and other platforms. And some folks will never stop. Zealots, bigots, conspiracy theorists, opportunists, those feeling offended themselves, etc etc.

The example of politicians is probably not the most illustrative to determine what is real harassment/offensive speech. I, for one, would have to plead guilty if someone overheard my musings on a number of past and current politicians. That said, I believe that most people know what would be considered offensive/harassment. And for those who deliberately or continually cross the line....hammer them.
In CAF/Federal Public Service? Yes.
In the general public, nothing short of hate speech/criminal harassment.
That doesn't mean you won't be judged by the court of popular public opinion.

In CAF/Federal Public Service? Yes.
In the general public, nothing short of hate speech/criminal harassment.
That doesn't mean you won't be judged by the court of (sometime) popular public opinion. EXACTLY my point
Which has lead to the general degree of disgust with agitators/Karens/provocateurs/and the perennially bored, who are responsible for a large amount of this activity.

Back