• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are MP’s (Military Police) allowed to come in messes without work related reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerandomfellow

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello:

Today at the JR ranks mess they were having a free hotdog and hamburger day, an MP came in for some food.

Can an MP come in to a mess for unofficial business? They have their own mess for a reason, can we just come in to their mess?

Is there a reference or pub?

I mean this may seem harmless but if there’s one thing I’ve learned in my career, it’s to never ever trust an MP...

Any help or advice on this would be helpful, I’ll also ask the PMC.

This is probably going to come to a shock to you but, guess what? MP belong to that mess and pay dues to it, just like you do. So, when the mess holds a function for the entire membership, MP are allowed to attend that function, just like you are. So, yeah, they are absolutely allowed to attend their mess when they want to, no matter whether you like it or not.

PS - I wrote this while sitting in the mess enjoying a Friday beer, hope you don’t mind.

I don't even know if this is still a thing. Some bases I was posted to had separate messes for the MP's. MP's had instruction not to visit messes where they weren't invited or weren't members of, unless called for on duty. Comox was one. The had their own mess in the old fire hall, IIRC.

I think that's what the OP was asking.

Somerandomfellow said:
Hello:

Today at the JR ranks mess they were having a free hotdog and hamburger day, an MP came in for some food.

Can an MP come in to a mess for unofficial business? They have their own mess for a reason, can we just come in to their mess?

Is there a reference or pub?

I mean this may seem harmless but if there’s one thing I’ve learned in my career, it’s to never ever trust an MP...

Any help or advice on this would be helpful, I’ll also ask the PMC.

If you’ve legitimately had some less-than-civil interactions with MP through no fault of your own, then I can understand your wariness. But I know a few MPs and they’re all exceptional people who work hard and take pride in their job—and their ranks vary from the bottom to the top. 

If you are among the people who hate-on MPs simply because you were taught to—and the negative bias starts right at BMQ from some staff, no less—then kindly spout-off elsewhere. Do you feel the same way towards civvie police also?

There are absolutely bad apples, yes. And there are bad apples in every trade. But the concentration of bad apples in the small, overall population of MP, versus the concentration of bad apples in, let’s say, the Infantry trade, is hardly comparable and it causes the trade to stand out more unfairly. If I uttered a blanket statement like “I’ve learned...” not to trust Sig Ops, or not to trust Comms Research, or not to trust Cooks, would that make sense? No.

I’m sorry if you feel you’ve had bad experiences, but I am beyond sick of hearing people tear down the MP trade when they honestly have no clue what they’re talking about.

It’s perfectly acceptable to not like a couple of them for whatever personal reasons you might have, and there may even be a professional reason for you not caring for a few of them, but disparaging an entire trade is unacceptable. Full stop.

Oh, and edit to add: Some places have TBird clubs, they don’t replace the mess though.

Fishbone Jones said:
I don't even know if this is still a thing. Some bases I was posted to had separate messes for the MP's. MP's had instruction not to visit messes where they weren't invited or weren't members of, unless called for on duty. Comox was one. The had their own mess in the old fire hall, IIRC.

In my entire career, the entire time I've been paying mess dues with the only exception being when posted OUTCAN to MSGU/MPSS. Over the course of my career there have been locations where "we" did or didn't attend the mess based on a number of different reasons, but at no time were MP ever officially excused from being members of, and forbidden to attend, the appropriate mess simply by virtue of being MP.

At one time "Thunder Bird Clubs", or similarly named clubs, were widespread, but they did not replace MP being members of the messes as they were, and are, clubs, not messes. Due to a variety of factors, many locations no longer have these and the ones that do exist are now constituted, and run, in the same way as any other NPP club on the Base/Wing.

garb811 said:
In my entire career, the entire time I've been paying mess dues with the only exception being when posted OUTCAN to MSGU/MPSS. Over the course of my career there have been locations where "we" did or didn't attend the mess based on a number of different reasons, but at no time were MP ever officially excused from being members of, and forbidden to attend, the appropriate mess simply by virtue of being MP.

At one time "Thunder Bird Clubs", or similarly named clubs, were widespread, but they did not replace MP being members of the messes as they were, and are, clubs, not messes. Due to a variety of factors, many locations no longer have these and the ones that do exist are now constituted, and run, in the same way as any other NPP club on the Base/Wing.

I was PMC of the Comox Mess, in 1981, and I did not collect dues from MPs. They paid dues to their own club at the fire hall. I'm not arguing anything, just passing on what I know to be fact. If it is no longer a thing, it doesn't affect me either way. However, I will stand by what I know, because I was in on the writing of the base memo that gave them the fire hall and explained the situation to everyone, including when and why they could be in our mess.

Going off track and bowing out.

Fishbone Jones said:
I was PMC of the Comox Mess, in 1981, and I did not collect dues from MPs. They paid dues to their own club at the fire hall. I'm not arguing anything, just passing on what I know to be fact. If it is no longer a thing, it doesn't affect me either way. However, I will stand by what I know, because I was in on the writing of the base memo that gave them the fire hall and explained the situation to everyone, including when and why they could be in our mess.

Going off track and bowing out.
Interesting and thanks for the history and background on that, be interesting to know when that changed.

Somerandomfellow said:
Hello:

...if there’s one thing I’ve learned in my career, it’s to never ever trust an MP...

This is something you should unlearn. That's my advice  :2c:

Here's an interesting item.

https://www.cafconnection.ca/Trenton/Facilities/8-Wing-Messes-and-Institutes/Junior-Ranks-Mess.aspx
Labrador Lounge
For more information please contact the PMC of the Military Police Mess at 613-392-2811 x4444.

This is the most asinine thread I’ve seen on here in a while. Are you sure you didn’t mean to post this on Cop Block?

Fishbone Jones said:
Comox was one. The had their own mess in the old fire hall, IIRC.

I'm about 99% certain that Comox doesn't have a separate MP Mess now.

To me the answer is simple.
If posted to the same base and paying dues to the mess than they have every right to attend a members function.
If posted to the same base and not paying dues to the mess than the MP's have no right to attend a members function without a duty reason.

I'd worry more about dating an MP's ex girlfriend/wife. Way better way to put yourself on the radar with that crew than drinking at the same mess as them. Unless you enjoy getting "randomly" stopped.

:rofl:

Ok for some clairification:

1. The MPs at this current base have their own mess, so can I just go in to their mess whenever I want?

2. For those of you who were offended by my lack of trust in MPs, they’re cops, it’s a cardinal rule to never trust a cop, always be respectful and polite but they aren’t you friend and they’re not out to do any favours for you. Never talk to a cop without proper legal representation by your side. It’s common sense. Give them basic information they request (ID, drivers license, etc) but that’s it. Never give statements or answer questions without proper help.

3. Yes I have had a few negative experiences with MPs, I also have a few friend MPs too, who are awesome people. I’ve told them my negative experiences and they are working hard to remove the stigma about the general disdain for the trade, basically MPs thinking they’re above the law they swear to uphold, which is very hypocritical and unprofessional. it can be very annoying.

So back to the question: MPs have their own mess, why? Are we allowed in theirs and are they allowed in ours for unofficial business?

Thanks!

Fishbone Jones said:

That’s exactly what I’m talking about. Thanks!

garb811 said:
This is probably going to come to a shock to you but, guess what? MP belong to that mess and pay dues to it, just like you do. So, when the mess holds a function for the entire membership, MP are allowed to attend that function, just like you are. So, yeah, they are absolutely allowed to attend their mess when they want to, no matter whether you like it or not.

PS - I wrote this while sitting in the mess enjoying a Friday beer, hope you don’t mind.

Soooo you don’t have your own mess then? What base is that? On this one they do have their own. If there’s one mess then no I don’t have a problem, if you have your own and come into ours, maybe I do have a problem. Depends on where your dues are going.

The MP mess here is quite nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back