• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are infantrymen indefinitely being deployed into combat roles right now?

The Canadian military does not send people on indefinite deployments.

It says nothing without an explanation of why this is important enough to answer.....

The short answer is "no."

This page shows current deployments by CAF personnel. You can go see the numbers deployed on each operation and review the links to see what has been deployed to get an idea of how busy the infantry are.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/operations-abroad-current/index.page

True, unless there were conscription which there isn't as of now and I asked because I would like to know the opportunity will be there to carry out the task of the trade as oppose to just train. Thanks for your responses. 

There is always the possibility of a deployment;  just watch the news.  Lots of shit on the go right?

The honest truth in the infantry right now is you will train about 15% of the time and play cards the other 85%.  All combat arms you will sit around more then anything.  We aren't deployed anywhere in a major way right now and we don't have the budget to train as much as we should.
The military is not like the movies, it is not all guns and glory, it is not call of duty, based on this and other threads you've posted it doesn't seem that you've been made aware of any of that and it seems like your just want to blow **** up and kill things.  You will be sorely disappointed.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that I'm not saying this in a "your and idiot" tone, just a direct what to expect and what not to expect.

Like a recruter said to me, Combat arm is like firefighter.. You train and wait for a call. If you want to be always on the front line the best place is Task Force I think.. Good Luck !

This post is ridiculous! I'd wager everyone on this forum has hairy balls not crystal ones. No one here can tell you what the likely hood of an indefinite deployment is much less a deployment.

I don't like cards... but I love to read and I love to do landscaping so hopefully the CAF will recognize my willingness to be idle but still make myself useful. I hear cutting grass passes the time for infantry soldiers on bases lol

Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm.

http://regimentalrogue.com/misc/in_praise_of_infantry.htm

So, I guess, the answer is 'yes'.

daftandbarmy said:
First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman.

All?  ;D

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/history/second-world-war/battle-atlantic

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/battle_of_britain

daftandbarmy said:
Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm.

There is a fourth fact which in no way takes away from the first three...that being the infanteer cannot do his or her job effectively without the support of the other trades.

Schindler's Lift said:
There is a fourth fact which in no way takes away from the first three...that being the infanteer cannot do his or her job effectively without the support of the other trades.

.... whom the infanteer only really learns to appreciate during operations/ war time  :nod:

These soldiers are posted indefinitely overseas, but not forgotten

FranceApril10.jpg

daftandbarmy said:
.... whom the infanteer only really learns to appreciate during operations/ war time  :nod:

Too true I'm sure but not just infantry.  During my first deployment years ago,  to Bosnia, I gained a whole new appreciation for a number of other trades.  I'll never forget those Posties who worked their collective asses off to keep the mail and morale flowing.  Same for the loadies. 

Back