• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are CF medics armed while in Afgahnsitan, and if so with what weapons ?

jimb

Inactive
Reaction score
Wondering about this subject............

Are CF medics arrmed while in Afghanistan, and if so with what weapons? If not armed are they teamed with a protection "buddy " to cover them while tending to injured, wounded members ?

Does this practice come under the " Geneva Conventions " rules for war ? Are medics allowed to be armed to protect the wounded that they are caring for ?

Can anybody commnet on this topic?

JimB Toronto.

Inspir:

Thanks for that quick reply. I thought that i had it right, but it was good to be able to see that facts, so to speak.

Jim B Toronto.

The Geneva convention allows for the non-combatants of a military (Medical staff and Chaplains)
to carry personal weapons for their own protection.

There are further rules on what is a personal weapon and what isn't.

old medic said:
The Geneva convention allows for the non-combatants of a military (Medical staff and Chaplains)
to carry personal weapons for their own protection.

Although the Chaplains don't due to branch policy. (my understanding of it)

its been discussed here at length:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/35722/post-285424.html#msg285424

As the Taliban, AQ, and others we are fighting against in Afghanistan are not signatory to nor recognize the Geneva Conventions, it would be likened to suicide if any medic (or anyone else for that matter) to go outside the wire unarmed.

All members of the CF have the right of self defence in armed conflict.

They would be armed with an issued service rifle and occasionally the issued service pistol (and sometimes both).

Back