• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

What I have found astounding about the AOPS program is that the RCN
could have had a new flight(6) of Halifax II(10m longer, 32-cell VLS,....) for
the same price!

Bearpaw

Bearpaw said:
What I have found astounding about the AOPS program is that the RCN
could have had a new flight(6) of Halifax II(10m longer, 32-cell VLS,....) for
the same price!

Bearpaw

Sure and we could had a Minstrel or two but not being able to do the things we want them to do in the Arctic.

Chief Stoker said:
Sure and we could had a Minstrel or two but not being able to do the things we want them to do in the Arctic.

Nah. We'd only end up eating them anyway. But there'd be much rejoicing...

Yes, Chief. I always eat my minstrels well done too!  [:D

Damn autocorrect!

But on your actual point: Remember that the two MISTRAL's that were available to Canada were specifically modified for Arctic operation, where the Russians intended to employ them. So they would have been useful for our Arctic plans.

If we had gotten them, we would have likely this summer be doing assault landing training at the various communities, complete with some LAV's for support.

As for the numbers, if things go sideways, they won't look at the numbers or if they do, it will be a report to Cabinet and will never see the light of day.

Colin P said:
If we had gotten them, we would have likely this summer be doing assault landing training at the various communities, complete with some LAV's for support.

As for the numbers, if things go sideways, they won't look at the numbers or if they do, it will be a report to Cabinet and will never see the light of day.

They would still be getting Canadianized.  I doubt they would have been ready for this as yet as there would need to be EC's designed and approved, planned and funded, then shoehorned into DWPs that are already full etc, etc, etc.  And all on a shrinking budget.

I suspect they would have given the contract to Davie, in which case it likely would be complete, now if it went to Irving, it might take to 2019 and cost at least 50% of the initial purchase price....  8)

jollyjacktar said:
They would still be getting Canadianized.  I doubt they would have been ready for this as yet as there would need to be EC's designed and approved, planned and funded, then shoehorned into DWPs that are already full etc, etc, etc.  And all on a shrinking budget.

Absolutely people outside the military thinks its as simple as putting a big red maple leaf on the side and "lets sail", its not as simple as that.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Yes, Chief. I always eat my minstrels well done too!  [:D

Damn autocorrect!

But on your actual point: Remember that the two MISTRAL's that were available to Canada were specifically modified for Arctic operation, where the Russians intended to employ them. So they would have been useful for our Arctic plans.

I don't doubt they would have been nice to have and put the rest the notion we are serious about the Arctic. Not in this lifetime.

Chief Stoker said:
Absolutely people outside the military thinks its as simple as putting a big red maple leaf on the side and "lets sail", its not as simple as that.

I am well aware the military can make anything complicated, likely the biggest issue beyond fitting our own Comms and EW suite would be adapting the hotel services from the Russian 220v 50 Hertz to North American standard.

There are also the DC systems and equipment to consider.  Everything has an impact in one way or another.  IPMS, another consideration as well perhaps.

Almost ready to come out and play....

Taken about 30 min ago.

Attachments

• Attach0001.jpg
    Attach0001.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 272
Seems to be missing the pointy bit  [:D

It's not that important is it? Fitted for, but not with a bow  [:p

[size=18pt]Nanisivik naval refuelling facility in Nunavut on track and on budget for fall 2018 opening[/size]

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/nanisivik-arctic-bay-naval-refueling-2018-1.4195662

A better pic from during the day.  That's the middle "mega-block" for the AOPS.  The bow attaches to the point you can see (as you can see the bridge windows).  There are also some good pics of the side view of the mega block here.

I've gotten myself a tour of the facility this weekend.  If anyone is in the area and want to go check out this website and see if you can reserve a spot.

Attachments

• AOPS.png
    AOPS.png
    812.4 KB · Views: 168
Underway said:
A better pic from during the day.  That's the middle "mega-block" for the AOPS.  The bow attaches to the point you can see (as you can see the bridge windows).  There are also some good pics of the side view of the mega block here.

I've gotten myself a tour of the facility this weekend.  If anyone is in the area and want to go check out this website and see if you can reserve a spot.

I heard about that. I'm heading there on Thurs for a tour. My section will be doing WUP's for the class.

Back