• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

Also, to the above points, in the latest defence blueprint, there is supposed to be an ongoing project to install now thrusters on the KINGSTON class. If I can find the link, I’ll throw it up here.

I suck at links, so here’s a screenshot.

Attachments

• 87D31619-2778-464B-9CAF-47BCE9FF6665.png
    87D31619-2778-464B-9CAF-47BCE9FF6665.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 87D31619-2778-464B-9CAF-47BCE9FF6665.png
    87D31619-2778-464B-9CAF-47BCE9FF6665.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 144
Chief Engineer said:
I did hear about that, so far a number of years away.

It is encouraging, though, to know that there’s still an appetite to fulfill the original TSOR for the class. I’d hope that it means that the future is still very bright for the MCDV as s mine warfare vessel.

According to this site: https://thaimilitaryandasianregion.wordpress.com/2016/02/02/harry-dewolf-class-offshore-patrol-vessel-canada/ the Harry DeWolf class will have a TRS-3D/16ES radar in conjunction with the S and X band navigation radars.

US Legend class coast guard cutters use it among others (interestingly the Svalbard uses one as well).  It does air and surface search and can support naval gunfire, carry an IFF etc...

It's a fairly robust and reliable system by all accounts.

Proven wrong... see below!

That’s interesting. I thought it was supposed to be a Terma Scanter 6002. I was under the impression that it was going to be part of the scaled down CMS package?

It is the Terma Scanter 6002

https://www.terma.com/press/news-2017/nanowave/

http://shipsforcanada.ca/our-stories/toronto-based-tech-company-seizing-opportunities-as-a-result-of-canadas-aops-program

Russia flexing some muscle in the Arctic.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warships/comments/a2ijmf/russia_will_restrict_foreign_warships_in_arctic/?st=JP7PR2IU&sh=8d967436

Not being a naval expert, but a 25mm gun can take these on right?

56ff81a6f50a440facce2b9f2a7a4778.jpg

Nope but these should be able too...

800px-McDonnell_Douglas_CF-188_Hornet%2C_Canada_-_Air_Force_JP7645819.jpg

And these are pretty good...

main-1111.jpg

Chief Engineer said:
Also I should mention they are being used as a feeder for the AOPS, as the ship has diesel electric propulsion system. many of the Harry DeWolf crew are currently on the Kingston Class.

It’s also likely that the CSC will have a diesel electric plant, as well, so I’d imagine that training will be applicable with them too, to a certain degree.

Underway said:
Nope but these should be able too...

800px-McDonnell_Douglas_CF-188_Hornet%2C_Canada_-_Air_Force_JP7645819.jpg

And these are pretty good...

main-1111.jpg

I am sure our AF guys practice with our stock of AS missiles all the time.......

I would think it be a gusty move for a Halifax to take on a Russian Missile cruiser.

Colin P said:
I am sure our AF guys practice with our stock of AS missiles all the time.......

I would think it be a gusty move for a Halifax to take on a Russian Missile cruiser.

Well... I mean the one in front is retired, so I'm sure we'd have no problems with her.

As for the Slava behind her... yea I wouldn't want to face down a salvo of SS-N-12's. Although given their age, maybe they wouldn't be that reliable...

Lumber said:
Well... I mean the one in front is retired, so I'm sure we'd have no problems with her.

As for the Slava behind her... yea I wouldn't want to face down a salvo of SS-N-12's. Although given their age, maybe they wouldn't be that reliable...

Hell, they didn't seem that reliable when I saw one close up in Halifax in 1992!

Swampbuggy said:
It’s also likely that the CSC will have a diesel electric plant, as well, so I’d imagine that training will be applicable with them too, to a certain degree.

Certainly if it goes that way. The machinery control system as well.

Colin P said:

Russians wouldn't even know the frigate was there until the Harpoons were detected.  At least those ships pictured wouldn't.  I'm far more concerned with Russian air and submarine assets.  Their surface fleet leaves much to be desired.

For those who may know more than I - Would an AOPS be capable of holding a DSRV or submarine rescue vehicle?

Trying to think of scenarios where AOPS could be used in conjunction with submarines in the arctic.

Is it possible?:
- Punch holes to allow for a Victora to breathe so their range would be extended through seasonal ice, or have one follow course behind?
- Or in a sub rescue role? From guessing, it would be using the crane, but that crane would have to be quite capable to lift something submersible.
- Having a AUV/RUV sit on the flight deck for ASW? Plow a hole in the ice, drop one in for sub hunting/detection?

Back