• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

whiskey601 said:
Can you imagine the outcry if someone put a poster up in the gym on a Canadian ship like they have? LoL!

Nice eye, I wondered when that would be picked up. That had others as well, no Operation Honour on that ship.

Would it make sense to eventually replace the MCDV's with a vessel like the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knud_Rasmussen-class_patrol_vessel or our they to big to do the minehunting role?

The problem would not be size here, Colin, it would be the lack of good deck space, layout and  handling equipment for the mine warfare deployable gear. And if you put that on board, then you lose the flight deck and the storage below for the large boat and ramp that the Rasmussen class carries.

Colin P said:
Would it make sense to eventually replace the MCDV's with a vessel like the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knud_Rasmussen-class_patrol_vessel or our they to big to do the minehunting role?

For the patrol role yes and it could certainly do mine warfare. It has a crane that could launch the AUV's that we're currently using. There is some limitations such as one ROD plant that would need to be rectified and would need degausing gear installed in the build. As well it carries muti beam sonar that the Danes use for chart making, and is exactly what the Kingston Class has done in the past.

Chief Stoker said:
Had the opportunity to tour Ejnar Mikkelsen today, a Knud Rasmussen class of offshore patrol vessels operating in the Royal Danish Navy.
Here is a link to the tour photos. A nice little ship.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/GOCANADANAVY/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1808235645901824

The shock and horror that their crewmembers are dressed in Multicam!    ::)

Dimsum said:
The shock and horror that their crewmembers are dressed in Multicam!    ::)

Wait a minute.  They were camouflaged! You weren't suppose to see them.  That's cheating.

Chief Stoker said:
For the patrol role yes and it could certainly do mine warfare. It has a crane that could launch the AUV's that we're currently using. There is some limitations such as one ROD plant that would need to be rectified and would need degausing gear installed in the build. As well it carries muti beam sonar that the Danes use for chart making, and is exactly what the Kingston Class has done in the past.

For that sort of work, this specialized ship makes an interesting case for some ideas if a new ship was/is ever under consideration for MCDV and chart work: https://navaltoday.com/2018/01/31/stx-france-edr-socarenam-team-for-belgian-mine-countermeasure-project/

and:
https://navaltoday.com/2018/01/29/belgium-oks-acquisition-of-six-new-mine-countermeasure-vessels/

It is not, however, a "patrol ship",  would not have a helo deck and so if sent anywhere inhospitable it may require the protection of another platform. But then again, neither do the Kingston's.

edit to add second link.

As far as the Arctic operations for AOPS goes, does anyone know yet if the plan is to send all 5-6 up North as soon as conditions permit? Or will maybe 1 each coast remain for Southern patrol duties?

Swampbuggy said:
As far as the Arctic operations for AOPS goes, does anyone know yet if the plan is to send all 5-6 up North as soon as conditions permit? Or will maybe 1 each coast remain for Southern patrol duties?

All DeWolf Class won't be operating in the Arctic at the same time. I relive the intent is to have several stationed on the West Coast for patrols in the Western Arctic, the others on the East Coast and one or more may be refit at the time.

That’s what made me wonder, given that the West Coast is planned to have only 2, I believe. Made me wonder how they were going to juggle both missions AND maintenance. I’m glad that kind of coordination isn’t my job!

Chief Stoker said:
All DeWolf Class won't be operating in the Arctic at the same time. I relive the intent is to have several stationed on the West Coast for patrols in the Western Arctic, the others on the East Coast and one or more may be refit at the time.

What!!!  Now you tell me.  I've been buying spare gear with the distribution of all AOPS in Halifax.... Damn it

jollyjacktar said:
What!!!  Now you tell me.  I've been buying spare gear with the distribution of all AOPS in Halifax.... Damn it

Hey that's what I think, they may very well be all on the EC but its makes sense to send several to the WC at some point.

Absolutely. I was hoping for an even split if they built 6, mostly so that they could fulfill the “O” in AOPS.

jollyjacktar said:

Well they all will start out in the East.  Maybe they can just take the gear you've been buying when they leave for the West Coast...  probably won't even send you a thank you email.

Do will still need the Aops?  Uk government just gave us the HMS Erebus and Terror!  That should cover it no?  (sorry... friday afternoon joke!)

Patski said:
Do will still need the Aops?  Uk government just gave us the HMS Erebus and Terror!  That should cover it no?  (sorry... friday afternoon joke!)
They are in better shape than the last Royal Navy vessels we acquired...

I've been able to answer my question, steel was cut on Max Bernays on 19 Dec, 2017. So if they are cutting steel at about 20 months apart (and this holds true going forward) from the 2nd to the 3rd ship, then they'll cut steel on the 4th ship basically in Aug of 2019 and then the fifth ship Dec of 2020 and the final ship Aug of 2022 (assuming that there is a 6th ship). That means that the 6th ship would be ready to drop in the water sometime late winter/early spring of 2024.  Somehow I doubt that we'll be in a position to be cutting steel on the first CSC sometime in the late fall/early winter of 2022, so maybe they will be a 7th AOPS.

Does anyone know if they've started cutting steel on the 3rd AOPS yet?  From Irving's website they state that they cut first steel on #2 back on August 2016 and then didn't have the keel laying ceremony until May 2017. There is nothing posted about them starting on the 3rd ship yet.  Any news on this?  Seems like timelines are growing longer and longer on when they start work on the next ship instead of shorter as one would expect.  I guess maybe they've been told to slow the work down and produce at a slower pace in order to deal with the fact that the CSC is crawling along.  Its one way of addressing the 'gap' in work that was being bantered about so much back in the fall/winter.

Czech_pivo said:
I've been able to answer my question, steel was cut on Max Bernays on 19 Dec, 2017. So if they are cutting steel at about 20 months apart (and this holds true going forward) from the 2nd to the 3rd ship, then they'll cut steel on the 4th ship basically in Aug of 2019 and then the fifth ship Dec of 2020 and the final ship Aug of 2022 (assuming that there is a 6th ship). That means that the 6th ship would be ready to drop in the water sometime late winter/early spring of 2024.  Somehow I doubt that we'll be in a position to be cutting steel on the first CSC sometime in the late fall/early winter of 2022, so maybe they will be a 7th AOPS.

Does anyone know if they've started cutting steel on the 3rd AOPS yet?  From Irving's website they state that they cut first steel on #2 back on August 2016 and then didn't have the keel laying ceremony until May 2017. There is nothing posted about them starting on the 3rd ship yet.  Any news on this?  Seems like timelines are growing longer and longer on when they start work on the next ship instead of shorter as one would expect.  I guess maybe they've been told to slow the work down and produce at a slower pace in order to deal with the fact that the CSC is crawling along.  Its one way of addressing the 'gap' in work that was being bantered about so much back in the fall/winter.

Yes steel was being cut on future Max Bernays as of last Dec, that is the third AOPS.

Back