• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

The reality is a surface ship's only reason for existence is to serve as an airport so the helo can do the real work. ;-)
In ASW not gonna get much argument from me on this. Helo is much better at this job than the ship usually is.

I wrote that hoping to rekindle the same sort of "discussions" we have while underway. However, the new helo makes an amazing force multiplier for any surface ship.

I wrote that hoping to rekindle the same sort of "discussions" we have while underway. However, the new helo makes an amazing force multiplier for any surface ship.
Oh was that your goal? I though you hadn't gotten 8hrs yet so was going to leave you alone... 🍻

As a surface ship with modern up to date tail, if you left a submarine get close enough to you to use your shipboard Mk 32's, you have let that sub come way way way too close to you.

In fact, I would think that in a one on one encounter where I did not have an onboard deployable helo, my solution would be to bug off from the datum as fast as I can. In such encounter, the surface ship's chances of survival are pretty slim.

Just like depth charges, hedgehog, squid and limbo have gone the way of the Dodos, the on board Mk 32 are quickly getting to be just extra storage for torpedoes you can load on your helo when necessary. I jest ... but barelly.

"A big ship — significantly larger than the frigates that comprise a major part of Canadian naval forces"

???

No doubt some here will discuss the "warship" label, as well as the comparative ASW capabilities between an AOPS and Frigate.

"A big ship — significantly larger than the frigates that comprise a major part of Canadian naval forces"

???

No doubt some here will discuss the "warship" label, as well as the comparative ASW capabilities between an AOPS and Frigate.
They are not wrong. It's about 2000 tons heavier. If a US flavour article wants to call it a warship I'm fine with that.

To be fair, it’s big and grey/gray and has a gun on it. 👍🏼

It's the Navy version of people calling anything that has tracks and looks "army" a "tank". Even if it is really just an MICV...not that I ever point that out to Mrs EITS during the news or movies...much to her enjoyment...

Blah Blah Blah Rant GIF

Interesting article. Some mention of listening for submarines in the Arctic - apparently none detected. :)

It's been public knowledge for some time.

I can't confirm or deny any sub detections.

It's been public knowledge for some time.

I can't confirm or deny any sub detections.
Clearly subterfuge at work here.

Peak ASWing would be detecting a sub and then transmitting to them "Hello, we been trying to reach you about your car warranty" in their native language.

Nice little write-up in USNI. Seems to be a fair bit of international interest in this class.

Interesting comments re. the fuel efficiency. I wonder if the class is exceeding expectations in this regard? The published range is 6800 nautical miles at "cruise" speed (which I think is 14 knots), though I would think that would be in open water, not bashing through ice.

Nice little write-up in USNI. Seems to be a fair bit of international interest in this class.

Interesting comments re. the fuel efficiency. I wonder if the class is exceeding expectations in this regard? The published range is 6800 nautical miles at "cruise" speed (which I think is 14 knots), though I would think that would be in open water, not bashing through ice.

They carry over 700 cums of fuel and I know they topped up in Nuuk. MCDV can go 6000 nm on 160 cums. Given the size of the ship I suppose that's good efficiency.

They carry over 700 cums of fuel and I know they topped up in Nuuk. MCDV can go 6000 nm on 160 cums. Given the size of the ship I suppose that's good efficiency.
700 cums? You really need to get those pumps fixed, spurting all over the place like that.

Back