• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

arctic candle holder

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I teaching the cadets Cold weather indoc in two weeks, And I was looking for my arctic candle holder. but alas me thinks that is now the property of my ex wife. this being said does any one have a spare one?
Jeep

There's a holder?

Anyone have a picture of this(google didn't help)?  I've never seen/heard of this before.

-Skeletor- said:
There's a holder?

Anyone have a picture of this(google didn't help)?  I've never seen/heard of this before.

It was orange had a spike as a bottom to stick in snow. a clamp to hold the candle an a pice of 550 cord on it that I never knew what it was for.

Holder? I can't even remember the last time I saw the candle.

I think we ate it.

recceguy said:
Holder? I can't even remember the last time I saw the candle.

I think we ate it.

I have 5 of the pink ones  and 3 of the tallow ones in foil  not sure if Id still eat it been in the foot locker for 17 years.

my72jeep said:
I have 5 of the pink ones  and 3 of the tallow ones in foil  not sure if Id still eat it been in the foot locker for 17 years.

If you have the old parka, you can put the buttons in boiling water and make chicken soup ;)

recceguy said:
If you have the old parka, you can put the buttons in boiling water and make chicken soup ;)

If you remember those parkas you have been around longer that me, when I joined in 83 they were just a story.

I remember a shamefaced private walking around with a couple of missing buttons on his parka, seems he believed a lot of what he was told.

I'm curious to the use of candles....do we mean for warmth like a small tea-light candle or is this for marking something outside or for light?

If its for outdoors I don't see why you wouldn't want to get your hands on some glowsticks, infinately useful and for indoors a lantern or once again glowstick.

But I am intrigued, Jeep do you have pictures?

Rogo said:
I'm curious to the use of candles....do we mean for warmth like a small tea-light candle or is this for marking something outside or for light?

If its for outdoors I don't see why you wouldn't want to get your hands on some glowsticks, infinately useful and for indoors a lantern or once again glowstick.

They were for inside, usually as a last resort in a quinzee for warmth.  A candle inside a small improvised snow shelter makes it bearable and ultimately survivable for someone.  A lantern or stove is the better solution in a tent but you don't always have those in an emergency.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Quinzee-Building/

-Skeletor- said:
There's a holder?

I may have some in the QM with our tent groups ... will check tomorrow & snap a pic if so.

Rogo said:

Use of a lantern in a snow cave or improvised shelter will cause said shelter to melt. a candle will give the needed heat to 1.keep warm. 2. glaze over the inside walls to add strength.
The holders just kept it upright and where you put it.

my72jeep said:
Use of a lantern in a snow cave or improvised shelter will cause said shelter to melt. a candle will give the needed heat to 1.keep warm. 2. glaze over the inside walls to add strength.
The holders just kept it upright and where you put it.

If you PM me your address I'll mail you one this weekend. I did a stint up at CFNA years ago and wound up with a couple.

Thanks to all. and thanks to Otto it came in handy as Thurs temp -2 sat temp -26 Mon temp -2 it worked well and showed the Cadets that a simple candle can be the difference between warm and cold.

Back