• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

APSC

vet44

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know if PTSD is considered a permanent and severe impairment?  One would think that it is, but I have no idea how VAC views these things especially when it comes to qualifying for new benefits like APSC.  I have a disability of 60% for PTSD, and I applied for the APSC.  Not sure what the result will be as I have been disappointed many times by VAC.  Any feedback would be great.  Thanks

As per VAcs policy. I tried to copy the important pieces that might relate to you but read through the entire policy at the link.

Eligibility
The APSC is payable to a Veteran who suffers from one or more disabilities:
that are creating a permanent and severe impairment;
that are creating a barrier to re-establishment in civilian life; and
for which the Veteran has been granted a Disability Award, Pain and Suffering Compensation, or a Disability Pension.

And

Definition of Regulations
As per section 1.1 of the Veterans Well-being Regulations, a barrier to re-establishment in civilian life means the presence of a disability or a temporary or permanent physical or mental health problem that limits or prevents an individual's reasonable performance in civilian life of their roles in the workplace, home, or community.
As per section 54 of the Veterans Well-being Regulations, a permanent and severe impairment is:
an amputation at or above the elbow or the knee;
the amputation of more than one upper or lower limb at any level;
a total and permanent loss of the use of a limb;
a total and permanent loss of vision, hearing or speech;
a severe and permanent psychiatric condition;
a severe and permanent limitation in mobility or self-care; or
a permanent requirement for supervision.

And

A “Permanent and severe impairment” is evident if the Veteran has at least one of the following:
A psychiatric condition or neurocognitive disorder, diagnosed according to the most recent version of the Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, for which the Veteran requires ongoing regular treatment, and which results in the Veteran suffering from severe and frequent symptoms (presenting at least once per week) which significantly interfere with functioning in the areas of thought and cognition; emotion, behaviour and coping; and/or activities of daily living; 

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-vac/legislation-policies/policies/document/2828#anchor69885

Based off of that I would qualify for this.  But why do I feel uneasy about joe things are done with VAC?  It’s a new benefit so I’m sure nobody really has any experience in regards to it.

Thanks for the link!!

Back