• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

APRIL FOOLS 2008: Notice: Database problems

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
All,

It has come to light that our database has been breached by an automated trojan. The good news is that our firewall prevented it from compromising anyone's personal data - I can assure you with 100% certainty that your privacy is in tact. However, other small changes have been made to the system that may affect performance and stability. I'm in the process of cleaning those up right now but please keep your eyes open for anything unusual.

Looks like it's going to be a long night, please bear with me folks.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Bobbitt said:

I'll beer  ( :cheers: ) with you but I will go for hot chocolate instead.

Good luck with it.

I had one a few days ago.  I caught it but not before I uploaded a photo to the forums.

:-[  It could have been from me. 

I see something unusual .... punch "Afganistan" into the searh bar and see what results you get.  Looks like the word "Afganistan" has been replaced by "Iraq."  Is anyone else seeing this?  Also, the "serh bar" has been renamed to the "ignore bar" when I type it into my post!  In addition, I think "warnin" has been changed to "prize!"  Can a Trojan horse do this?  I think this is more serious than we think!  With "Afganistan" changed to "Iraq," this was obviously someone with an agenda.  And what is this "Soviet Canuckistan" garbage?  Did they get to the word "Cannada" as well?

EDIT:  Words in quotation marks were intentionally spelled incorrectly to get them into the post, the correct spelling will show the changes I have indicated.  Also to add other swapped words.

Other words that have been swapped out:  "Bannned" = "Welcomed"
                                                            "LAVV" = "'95 Honda Civic"
                                                            "Mod.s" = "Silly People"

In addition to the Afghanistan thing, the word s.earch appears to have been replaced with the word ignore site wide. I've noticed this in a handful of posts.

I hadn't noticed anything except it being pretty slow last night, but on another Forum I frequent, we had this message on March 22:

Server 1 of IF/ZB has been hacked into earlier this evening. All of the forum URLs on that particular server show a different page with a message from the hacker.

My forum was on Server 4, so no harm done to it.

Fgwi siyr thedfw kjiun olkiuj saq........... :crybaby:

I wonder if the culprit is a disgruntled ban.ned member?

:eek:

Well, it looks like the "mo.ds" are speaking gibberish now ... thats quite the Trojan horse.  I would definitely agree that this is the work of someone recently ban.ned.  Is this a crime?  Cyber-vandalism perhaps?

RCR Grunt is probably bang on - somebody with an agenda hacked the site. So much for my first theory that Bruce was just stinking drunk early in the morning........

Staff Weenie said:
RCR Grunt is probably bang on - somebody with an agenda hacked the site. So much for my first theory that Bruce was just stinking drunk early in the morning........
I thought they were possessed by the devil after the comments in the religion thread, either way hope it gets fixed soon.

Is there such a thing as a Forum Exorcist??

Evil code that possessed this server's drive, in the name of Microsoft and Bill Gates I command thee to leave.... >:D

Mike Bobbitt said:
All,

It has come to light that our database has been breached by an automated trojan. The good news is that our firewall prevented it from compromising anyone's personal data - I can assure you with 100% certainty that your privacy is in tact. However, other small changes have been made to the system that may affect performance and stability. I'm in the process of cleaning those up right now but please keep your eyes open for anything unusual.

Cheers
Mike

Check the calendar. I think we've all been had. ;)

A silly post about DU bullets and heavier BFT rucks is one thing, but check out the mo.ds posts.  Check out the "Soviet Canuckistan" crap.  "Afgh.anistan" into Iraq?  Thats not funny.  There is the possibility it is all an April Fool's prank, but I don't think anyone here would mess with the name of our country or our current mission.  I'd ask for thoughts from a mod, but they are all speaking gibberish right now.

I thought it may be some sort of thing related to today's date as well, but this seems a bit extreme....then again, maybe not.

If you type Mo.ds it comes out as "silly people."  ;D

Back