• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application Status

Sharp

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I did it. I signed up, I did it online though.
Didn't think I could. But I did.

Those of you who have gone through this process, can you tell me what goes on with this page?
http://i.imgur.com/r2MMJVS.png (I don't want to actually place the image here because it's massive).

I've had my hands on the CFAT and I passed it with flying colours once before, so I guess my options wont be a problem when doing the CFAT again.

My choices were (army):
1. Infantry
2. Military Police
3. Weapons Technician (Land)

I have a few questions for you guys:
According to the Forces website via the job finder, Infantry had a green "Now Hiring" sign beside it. I want to know if I (hypothetically) were to be accepted, when would I go to BMQ?

I know this question was answered in a previous post somewhere on the forum, but how fit must one be to be able to remain in the army?

This may be an unnecessary and time-irrelevant question, hypothetically, if I were to be accepted and had proceeded beyond BMQ, how lenient can they (persons higher in the chain of command) be towards modifying, adding, and removing equipment? An example of which would be replacing holsters, adding new or more magazine holders (retention devices), etc. I know for sure that modifying the weapon in any way is a big "no-no" but I might be wrong. What are you thoughts?

I looked through the forums and found a list of courses offered in the Army, I wanted to know what my chances are for the following:
031 Infantryman QL3
031 Infantryman QL6A
031 Infantryman QL6B
031 Infantryman QL7
Reconnaissance Patrolman - Basic
Reconnaissance Patrolman - Intermediate
Sniper - Advanced
Sniper Detachment Commander
Sniping - Basic
Winter Warfare - Advanced
Winter Warfare - Basic
Small Arms Coaching (Basic)
NATO Fighting In Built Up Areas Instructors Course
Desert Warfare

Lots of questions for the right people. Thanks in advance and I hope to join you all some day.  :cdn:

1. Courses are done year round. There is one starting in Nov and another few in January.
2. Really? You want to meet the minimal standard? You could meet the standard but then be completely useless on the exercise.
3. Depends unit by unit as well as situation.
4. You'll definitely get your 3s. Everything else will matter on you. Also depends on your unit. I've heard 3rcr has a big emphasis on jump/recce courses. There is no set formula, however if you suck at your job they won't put you on career courses

Try googling.

Site:army.can topic here

Sharp said:
Well, I did it. I signed up, I did it online though.
Didn't think I could. But I did.

Those of you who have gone through this process, can you tell me what goes on with this page?
http://i.imgur.com/r2MMJVS.png (I don't want to actually place the image here because it's massive).

I've had my hands on the CFAT and I passed it with flying colours once before, so I guess my options wont be a problem when doing the CFAT again.

My choices were (army):
1. Infantry
2. Military Police
3. Weapons Technician (Land)

I have a few questions for you guys:
According to the Forces website via the job finder, Infantry had a green "Now Hiring" sign beside it. I want to know if I (hypothetically) were to be accepted, when would I go to BMQ?

I know this question was answered in a previous post somewhere on the forum, but how fit must one be to be able to remain in the army?

This may be an unnecessary and time-irrelevant question, hypothetically, if I were to be accepted and had proceeded beyond BMQ, how lenient can they (persons higher in the chain of command) be towards modifying, adding, and removing equipment? An example of which would be replacing holsters, adding new or more magazine holders (retention devices), etc. I know for sure that modifying the weapon in any way is a big "no-no" but I might be wrong. What are you thoughts?

I looked through the forums and found a list of courses offered in the Army, I wanted to know what my chances are for the following:

Lots of questions for the right people. Thanks in advance and I hope to join you all some day.  :cdn:

If you just did the online application it will be sometime before you get to the point of BMQ. On average takes 6-8 months to get on the merit list to be selected. Your local CFRC will be in touch with you after your application changes hands from North Bay to your local CFRC. From there you will do your CFAT, Medical, Interview, etc. Use the time gaps in between those items to get fit. Do not just shoot for minimal physical standards as the CF want best of the best for the chosen occupations. However like I stated above I would definitely not get my heart set on a November or January 2013/2014 BMQ date if you just filled the online application. For example notice my signature and the dates. App March 2013, CFAT June 2013, Interview/Medical July 2013, Delayed 4 weeks (credit history), Obtained my clearance October 25th 2013, Merit Listed October 30th 2013, so hopefully I will be part of the next selection (November/January) as my occupation AVS Tech is red and in high demand. It takes time (lots of hurry up and wait) so use that time to get fit.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I might have worded the fitness question wrong. I already am fit, in my opinion. My question was sort of pointed at if you have to be "really fit" or "extremely fit", as well as if they can boot you out if you're unable to meet any requirements. I believe that I can, but I just wanted to know beyond what I can and cant.

Also, I guess I worded the BMQ question incorrectly again. I just wanted to know what the average time frame is.

I probably should have thoroughly gone through the questions first. Sorry guys.

For reg force fitness I can't really comment, I am in the reserves and we only need to a fitness test once a year to go on tasking and or courses. If we fail, I believe we can re do it, but must wait for specified amount of time. 

This is probably good place to start, but hopefully someone can come with more experience from the reg force.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,75.0.html

In terms of basic wait time from application it literally depends.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13064.0.html

Go to the end of that thread as it is 10 years old but it should give you an idea.

Some potential problems that one may encounter.
- Something comes up in the medical and you have to get a doctor to sign off it.
- Bad credit history
- File may get lost/misplaced
- Family members who live in certain countries. (security clearance)
- Trade gets closed half way through the process
- Find out you are not medically qualified for a trade.
- When the next basic is

You could speed through everything and find the trade is now full and now you have to wait until April for the new budget to come out.

That thread should give you an idea. But everyone's experience is different. 

Sharp said:

I think I might have worded the fitness question wrong. I already am fit, in my opinion. My question was sort of pointed at if you have to be "really fit" or "extremely fit", as well as if they can boot you out if you're unable to meet any requirements. I believe that I can, but I just wanted to know beyond what I can and cant.

Also, I guess I worded the BMQ question incorrectly again. I just wanted to know what the average time frame is.

1- In regular force yes you can be "booted" if you cannot maintain a minimum physical standard. In regular force we will be tested once annually to ensure we are fit enough. http://www.forces.ca/en/page/training-90#basictraining-1 and http://www.forces.ca/en/page/lifeintheforces-75#sportsandfitness-2

2- Time frame to boot camp I already specified above however everyone's circumstances are different and time frames can vary. So use your time wisely and prepare yourself mentally and physically. Join a gym, etc. Get a tutor and brush up on any English or math as in the next several months you will have to do a Aptitude test (CFAT), a medical exam, and an interview just to get merit listed, and you will also need security clearance (Government clearance). http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/CF_ApplicationProcedure.pdf is the process PDF

Good Luck and wish you all the best.

Thanks for the info guys, especially mrjasonc.
I'm not too excited in joining yet, because I haven't received any word from someone in terms if my application. I still have my day job and still live my life. If all goes well and I'm told to go to BMQ, I guess I gotta quit my job at that point.

Anyways, thanks guys.

Sharp said:

I applied Nov 2012 and just did my interview & medical last month. It was probably 6 months from the time I applied to the time I heard anything from a local recruiter. I did have some specific delays though. At the same time, I've seen guys apply, tested, and in BMQ within 6 months. Each case is different and it's staggering how many delays there can be (especially in my case). I thought I was all done and waiting to be Merit Listed (hopefully!), then I was asked for credit/criminal checks for England because I spent 9 months there in 2009. Both of those checks I could have been done in a matter of hours here (plus time waiting for the criminal check to be processed), but in England documents have to be sent to a cousin within the country, she sends them to me here, I send them back, she submits on my behalf, results are sent to my cousin, she then sends me the results, I submit to the CF. Oversees mailing alone will add up to 4 weeks. Factor in trying to communicate with multiple foreign agencies who are very concerned about identity theft, with an 8 hour time difference, their own currency and do not accept credit card or cash in the mail, and staffing problems of their own, and you've got yourself one lengthily and frustrating process! All this for a check that is of no concern as both will come back fine, but it's policy that it be done. But at least now I know exactly how to get a criminal/credit check done in England...  :facepalm: Furthermore, my entire application is on hold until these checks come back and when they do I hope like hell I haven't delayed too long to miss a selection date.

The point I'm trying to make is that this can be a very lengthily process. We all want nothing more than to run off to BMQ tomorrow, but it just doesn't happen that way for some. Runormal posts some very good reason for delays. There are some things that might help too... being close to a recruitment center helps. I'm about 5 hours away so they basically wait for enough applicants in the area and come and do a "remote intake".

DO NOT quit your job until they specifically tell you to quit your job. I've heard of guys being Merit Listed and still taking a year to get a job offer.

Best of luck and stay positive. It's amazing how quickly a year can pass. 

From my standpoint, I haven't left the country. I have been to the United States 8 years ago, but that's it. I don't have a criminal record of any kind. My credit is slightly below neutral because I had missed 1 payment. The only thing that I'm worried about is the fact that I didn't finish high school. I dropped out at grade 12.

We'll see what happens in the months to come.

I have heard, from a recruiter at CFRC Ottawa that processing combat arms now is not a priority. That maybe just Ottawa, or it could be nationwide. But what I was told, when I went in to try and book and Interview and Medical that they have enough people merit listed for combat arms right now and that my application will be prepared for April when more positions open up. Seeing as you applied 5 days ago you may have a very long wait, or by April you could be merit listed and selected. I wish you good luck with your application.

I know from talking to the recruiting center in Kingston that the next round of selection for Infantry will be done Thursday Nov.14. That selection will be the people that have already been Merit listed (I am currently one of these people). For me it was about 5 months to complete everything and be Merit listed, although I have been sitting on the list for about a month now. Good luck and just try to keep in touch with your local CFRC, and be patient.

Sharp said:
From my standpoint, I haven't left the country. I have been to the United States 8 years ago, but that's it. I don't have a criminal record of any kind. My credit is slightly below neutral because I had missed 1 payment. The only thing that I'm worried about is the fact that I didn't finish high school. I dropped out at grade 12.

We'll see what happens in the months to come.

Sharp, your story isn't all that different from mine. I spent 1.5 years in Michigan from ages 13-15. As far as your credit goes. They just don't want your name floating around 3rd world country call centers because you don't know how to pay your bills. They just want to know that you are responsible. They are looking for individuals with "character" (Honest, Loyal, Respectful etc etc etc). As much as the process of applying to the forces is, it is a very rewarding one. I was kicked out of high school in grade 10/11 but obtained my GED in 03, now I am a father of 3 and a husband. My recruiters exact words were. "Well, your a father and people make a lot of mistakes when they are young, Your only human. Lets see your clearance and go from there". Now I find myself 4-5 months later merit list for a high priority occupation within the forces waiting to be selected (which hopefully is this week). Just hang in there, don't sweat anything. Don't quit your job or anything like that as you still have a ways to go yet. Good luck!

Thanks guys. Looking forward to that call multiple months from now. I agree with the possibility of getting merit at April (or before).

Gonna live my life until then.
So you on the field!

After my swearing in I got a leave pass with LWOP for 3 days then I was off to basic. Every case is different, so this is basically just me telling you there is a chance to go right away.

Don't be fit for the military. Be fit for yourself. To be very honest, if you can pass a BFT, you will remain in the army. If you want to be an effective member of your team focus on functional PT like running, pushups, situps and definatly pullups. Other than that just goto the gym, work hard and that is really all you need. Going through basic then battle school will give you a good baseline on what you need to work on

This is all dependent on your CO. Because of my inexperience in this, I had asked a friend of mine who went on tour with 1RCR and he basically told me, in Garrison, you needed to play the game, dress the same. But in the field, it was what ever made you comfortable. I wouldn't worry about this right now, get through basic and battle school, get to btl and figure it out from there.

As for the courses you listed, again, wait until you get to btl because some of it will depend on what company you goto.

Back