• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Application Process Samples [2003 - 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, the test is not that hard. Do some IQ test on internet and you should be good. You cant really practice logic. Maybe just do some maths and fractions a few days before. I didnt study at all and scored 90%.

JoPelle said:
To be honest, the test is not that hard. Do some IQ test on internet and you should be good. You cant really practice logic. Maybe just do some maths and fractions a few days before. I didnt study at all and scored 90%.

Correct me if I am wrong (preferably someone who has reliable information unlike our friend JoPelle here) you are not actually informed how well you did on the CFAT? You are simply told what trades you qualified for. At least that is how it worked when I took it about a month ago.

I found that the sample questions on the CF website were a fairly accurate example as to what is on the test. (Otherwise why would they have them?) If you concentrate on that as well as making sure your long division and multiplication is sound you should be good. Remember that a key part to answering the questions are fully understanding them, I had a problem on the practice test where I just did not understand the question. The folks on here will point you in the right direction if you get stuck.

Good luck!

Flavus101 said:
Correct me if I am wrong (preferably someone who has reliable information unlike our friend JoPelle here) you are not actually informed how well you did on the CFAT? You are simply told what trades you qualified for. At least that is how it worked when I took it about a month ago.

I found that the sample questions on the CF website were a fairly accurate example as to what is on the test. (Otherwise why would they have them?) If you concentrate on that as well as making sure your long division and multiplication is sound you should be good. Remember that a key part to answering the questions are fully understanding them, I had a problem on the practice test where I just did not understand the question. The folks on here will point you in the right direction if you get stuck.

Good luck!

I did not receive a score.
The Officer just told me I scored perfect on two sections and almost perfect on the third.

JoPelle said:

Well I'll just say that 2/3 of the sections are math based and I have a BSc Hons. - Mathematics and thought it was harder than I expected...
Also I'm pretty sure they don't/ can't give out raw scores. The 90% is that you were in the 90th percentile of scorers( ie. he did better than 90% of test takers).

RectorCR said:
Well I'll just say that 2/3 of the sections are math based and I have a BSc Hons. - Mathematics and thought it was harder than I expected...
Also I'm pretty sure they don't/ can't give out raw scores. The 90% is that you were in the 90th percentile of scorers( ie. he did better than 90% of test takers).

Yeah I believe it's based on percentiles as well, not on raw scores. It's in one's best interest to do the very best one can do, because they will consider CFAT percentiles particularly when candidates have similar qualifications. Some trades also have higher percentile qualifications. Don't underestimate anything; it's good to be prepared for anything. If it ends up being super easy, then great - even better for your chances of getting your trades.

Back to application process samples, preparation depends on one's strengths and weaknesses. Some just need a couple of weeks while others get tutoring for a couple of months. So yeah, even if your degree is in math (;)), better to prep as best you can than not. I don't think you can get a retest to get a higher score if you pass, right? And the scores are "for life".

Maybe this discussion needs to be moved to one of the several CFAT threads....  :dunno:

theforcewithin said:
Yeah I believe it's based on percentiles as well, not on raw scores. It's in one's best interest to do the very best one can do, because they will consider CFAT percentiles particularly when candidates have similar qualifications. Some trades also have higher percentile qualifications. Don't underestimate anything; it's good to be prepared for anything. If it ends up being super easy, then great - even better for your chances of getting your trades.

BUT... to make the convo back to application process samples, preparation depends on one's strengths and weaknesses. Some just need a couple of weeks while others get tutoring for a couple of months. So yeah, even if your degree is in math (;)), better to prep as best you can than not. I don't think you can get a retest to get a higher score if you pass, right? And the scores are "for life".

I was given my raw score and percentile. I found the math fairly easy because I did a bit of practice for the test but the grammar section REALLY challenged me.

PMedMoe said:
Maybe this discussion needs to be moved to one of the several CFAT threads....  :dunno:

Lol ok back to application process samples. Anyone ever experience their trades opening up (or closing?) much sooner than expected? What were the intake frequencies (yearly) and numbers for your trades? If your trades had closed while you were in the process of completing your app, how long did you have to wait until they opened up again?

theforcewithin said:
Lol ok back to application process samples. Anyone ever experience their trades opening up (or closing?) much sooner than expected? What were the intake frequencies (yearly) and numbers for your trades? If your trades had closed while you were in the process of completing your app, how long did you have to wait until they opened up again?

I called my recruiter at some point to get an update on my file and was told it was closed because all 3 of my trades were closed... I was surprised and disappointed. I had to wait about 5 months. When I reapplied, interview needed to be redone because they had changed the format. 

When I first applied in 2011, combat engineer was closed but they still processed my file.

PMedMoe said:

Yeah guys you need to listen to PMedMoe. This thread is to show how you are doing with your processing and how long you have been taking so far. It's not about how to prepare for the CFAT or anything about the CFAT at all, just when you completed it.

When no one is around, do you stand in front of a mirror and have a conversation with yourself? 

You sure like to hear yourself talk.....post.  You are setting yourself up for a very hard time once you enter, if you enter, the Canadian Armed Forces.

Got merit listed today. Selections for the EME on Thursday. I would take it in a heartbeat if offered.

Recruiting Centre: CFVRC
Local Recruiting Centre: Toronto RC
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Trade Choice 1: Aerospace Engineer
Trade Choice 2: Communications and Electronics (Air) Engineer
Trade Choice 3: EME
Online Application Date: April 7, 2013
Date Application sent to Toronto RC: June 14, 2013
Paperwork Submitted: June 20th, 2013
CFAT: June 25th, 2013
Interview: July 3rd, 2013
Medical: July 2nd, 2013
Merit Listed: July 21st, 2013
Position offered:
Swearing in:
Basic Training Begins:

I asked the MCC to change my second choice to Signals Officer as it is similar to CELE in many aspects and also because the selections are on Thursday.

Recruiting centre: Ottawa, ON
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade choice 1: AVS Tech.
Trade choice 2: AC OP.
Trade Choice 3: AES OP.
Applied: April 04, 2013
File sent to CFRC: June 04, 2013
Original Supporting Documents Provided: July 04 , 2013
First contact: July 11, 2013
CFAT: July 17, 2013
Medical: August 14, 2013    {to do}
Interview:August 14, 2013    {to do}

Merit Listed:
Position offered:
Enrollment/swearing in:
BMQ:

Let's see how it goes...

I got results back from my medical. Unfortunately my vision falls under v4 so I won't be eligible for ACSO and AEC. I spoke to a recruiter about replacing these positions with ones I am medically capable for but he cautioned me about this as changing trades at this stage would make me look irresolute. So for now, I am banking on MARS to come through for me. My recruiter told me that I am very competitive as I have a master's degree as well and advised me to be patient; I had planned to switch to NCM. He has a "forecast" that at least 20 positions will open up though he can't say if it will be for this fall. I am feeling a little more confident now after hearing his sage advice.

Sorry for the long post! I hope everyone has better luck. We're all going to make it :).

JamesKEDU said:
I got results back from my medical. Unfortunately my vision falls under v4 so I won't be eligible for ACSO and AEC. I spoke to a recruiter about replacing these positions with ones I am medically capable for but he cautioned me about this as changing trades at this stage would make me look irresolute. So for now, I am banking on MARS to come through for me. My recruiter told me that I am very competitive as I have a master's degree as well and advised me to be patient; I had planned to switch to NCM. He has a "forecast" that at least 20 positions will open up though he can't say if it will be for this fall. I am feeling a little more confident now after hearing his sage advice.

Sorry for the long post! I hope everyone has better luck. We're all going to make it :).

MARS is CLOSED.  The "sage advice" amounts to "better luck next year" because the recruiter didn't want to give you the BAD NEWS!

Thanks DAA, I will take everything with a sense of careful optimism. I don't believe the recruiter was intentionally trying to deceive me as he was quite frank that neither him or anyone else for that matter would know when MARS will open again. 

JamesKEDU said:
Thanks DAA, I will take everything with a sense of careful optimism. I don't believe the recruiter was intentionally trying to deceive me as he was quite frank that neither him or anyone else for that matter would know when MARS will open again.

It's a "duh" question.  The answer is the same as it was last year and the year before that and the year before that.  "Pre-processing" will start in early Dec 13 for the 2014 selection year and in all likelihood, selections will be in late Feb, early Mar for BMOQ's commencing after 1 Apr 14.

So the old addage from Recruiters of "Occupation is closed, reapply again in Apr, puts you in the SOL column because selections have already taken place for the year".

Let me be frank.  The toughest job in recruiting, is telling someone that a) your not competitive, try again later b) your occupation is closed, try again later c) you weren't selected in competition, try again later.

The easy OUT, "Your file is very competitive and I am sure you will be successful."  and if necessary, followed by, "Bad news, your chosen occupations are currently closed but good news, don't worry, we hope they will open up shortly."  and my all time favourite when you ask how to improve yourself......"Keep doing what your doing".......

Anyhow, at the end of the day, it's your choice.  Just make sure that you select an occupation that you truly want and if you need to wait, then so be it.....

To build on what DAA said, I went down your path last year.  I was late in the recruitment season for the year and my job choices were tight. I was so late in the year my file was closed and reopened in February 2013. DAA actually processed my file (thanks).  I was choosing, Ammo Tech, Weapons Tech and a 3rd think it was Electrical Distribution Tech.  When I was talking with my MCC come interview time.  We changed it to Combat Engineer, Material Tech and Vehicle Tech.

The reason being some jobs are very limited and high competition and my choices were both of those.  I was certainly competitive and learned everything I could about recruitment.  Ammo Tech had one slot open and a selection this coming November.  Meanwhile Vehicle Tech and Combat Engineer had over 100 each.  Since my interview I've been selected, offered and accepted the Vehicle Tech position.  I do expect to enjoy doing this job. 

Sometimes you need to be open to more options.  I know I had too.  With Vehicle Tech there is a large educational component to it too.  Which is great.  I can't wait to get back to the classroom and study again.

Hello.,

Tried searching but nothing availed..,

Does anyone know who interviews the recruits for their respective entry plans.
I.e. Does a warrant officer interview an NCM recruit., and Major for officer etc.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back