• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applicant question- redundancy warning.

Container

Inactive
Reaction score
First a little back ground, I left the reserves against my will. At the time the RCMP forced us to hang up our reserve hats so I did so as I was required to. My goal being to join the marine section in the RCMP to satisfy the adventure I craved. Now, after training I was "selected" to be sent to the Arctic. They begin to plan where you'll go AFTER your Arctic contract about a year in advance. 

I identified my desire to get posted to any marine unit in Canada, of which there are many, volunteering to take the prerequisite courses on vacation time as well as working with the Coast Guard Auxiliary to demonstrate interest. I had a line officer who was uninterested in my plans and shut me down. I talked at length with my wife about it and she said- "Well you can join the military full time". With that permission in hand I contacted the CFRC in Yellowknife and began the application process.

The jobs I selected, all CEOTP entry plans, for Infantry Officer, MARS Officer, and Pilot (I had to put something). I selected three jobs that looked like they had the challenge I needed. About the same time I was posted again (4 times in three years) and my application languished- they had to order my service file from Edmonton and I was trying to settle in again.

For whatever reason, more than likely of my own doing, the CFRC failed to followup on my application.  There was a lapse of several months. And I quite frankly completely understand- working the front desk at a police detachment has provided me ample sympathy for anyone with as much contact with "walk in's" as they have.

After several months I simply "reapplied" under the impression that my application had been lost. In talking with the recruiter, he convinced me to place MARS Officer, Military Police Officer on the application for the CEOTP program as well. About a week after I submitted my application I received my next posting. The timing was terrible.

I found myself in the unique position of living in government housing, and applying to the military. Had I enrolled I would have been kicked out of force housing (not owning at the time) for several months until I became entitled for military housing (buying would have been foolish because I would not have known where to buy.) Now the RCMP was making me buy a house while I was contemplating leaving.

So I AGAIN talked to the recruiter in Yellowknife and he said it wasn't a big deal I could just transfer my file to Winnipeg when I got there. So I was away for four months on training and when I returned I began to explore the reserve opportunities. The Artillery reserve seemed like a good fit.

Now here is my predicament. I still desperately want to be a MARS officer (which has got to be one of the weirdest things you've heard Im sure). I'm starting to realize that while the artillery reserve present me with fantastic opportunities but I am a sailor at heart. I had considered that I would be able to exist in the RCMP as long as I could volunteer with the reserves, and I may be able to, but I'd still like to try the CEOTP process for MARS.

Does such a thing exist? Can I apply for the CEOTP for MARS as a first choice and the Reserve Artillery Soldier NCM as a second choice? It seems like it needs to be two separate application processes but that would be redundant and I don't want to waste the CF's time.

This isn't a matter of first choice, second choice. Its more to make the Military a career I need to go to sea. and as a career I need the opportunity to chase certain challenges that are presented in the officer stream. However, should I remain in the RCMP the absolute best fit for me is the Army Reserve.

Do I need to deal with a certain type of recruiter for this? I had figured that I could enroll in the reserves, finish my degree and CFR into MARS should I be eligible to do so. Now I feel guilty like I would wasting the crowns money, AND I know that the trade is currently in need of applicants and had entertained CEOTP candidates before.

Obviously Im going to deal with my recruiter about this but Id like a few other opinions as well. PM's, advice, and rebukes welcome. The RCMP is good job but it isn't what I WANT to do.

OH- Important note- Im only at the conditional offer stage. Physical and Medical aren't an issue. I already have a "health profile" thats good to go.

You can not apply to join the Regular Force and the Reserves at the same time, nor can you apply for officer and NCM at the same time.  You will have to decide if you want to go the MARS route and join the Regular Force, or got the NCM Reserve route. 

George Wallace said:
You can not apply to join the Regular Force and the Reserves at the same time, nor can you apply for officer and NCM at the same time.  You will have to decide if you want to go the MARS route and join the Regular Force, or got the NCM Reserve route.

Thanks George. It makes sense- and it is as I suspected then. Appreciated.

Back