• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

Navy_Pete said:
With the long AOPs run, ISI has enough time to get all that stuff ready, build the experience base in the workers and generally sort themselves out before CSC, which is really good news for that program.  It's still going to be a challenge but this gives them a fighting chance as they are starting from scratch as well.  The culture of the construction side is different to deal with compared to the refit side as well, so while it won't be cheap, don't think we'll have some of the same quality issues that we get with refits, as they've brought in some really good, experienced people that seem to generally want to deliver a good product for the RCN.

Hope springs eternal.  But it's interesting from the culture perspective.  ISI had a chance to make a clean start.  Perhaps they have.  It wouldn't be the first time two different depts in the same organization had different cultures and competence levels.  God knows we see enough of it in the CAF.

Wow!  Senator Kenny is like a dog with a good bone on this issue - very glad to see this!

https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/opinion/letter-to-the-editor/opinion-canada-cant-refuel-its-own-ships-180035/

C.P.: This is the same article you posted on January 22 in this very thread. You don't have to repeat it every time another newspaper decides to publish it.  ;)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
C.P.: This is the same article you posted on January 22 in this very thread. You don't have to repeat it every time another newspaper decides to publish it.  ;)
Mea Culpa

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/hundreds-of-irving-shipyard-employees-stage-unplanned-walkout-1.3775470

Wildcat strike?

Morning’ folks! I’ve been enjoying this forum for awhile now as a guest, but finally worked up the nerve to try participating. I’m not an RCN member, but I worked for DND years ago as a civvie and have had a great deal of admiration for the CAF ever since. I’m fascinated by the sea and ships, so I have a particular enthusiasm for the Navy. Please bear with me when I post and I promise to treat all feedback with respect and gratitude.

I’ve been thinking about AOR’s lately, and I think there’s a legitimate place for ASTERIX (and hopefully OBELIX) after/if PRE/PRO are built.

Given that the ASTERIX isn’t necessarily the best choice for contested waters, I see it as being an interesting platform for deployment on OP CARIBBE, for example. It has multiple RHIBs, a flight deck for an observation helo, room for the LEDETS and can RAS USCGCs to boot. It would also be close at hand for any of the frequent humanitarian missions that crop up in the Caribbean. It would also keep the MCDV’s closer to home and be able to take over their role on OP CARIBBE once they start getting decommissioned in another 10 years or so. In many ways, the ASTERIX could be seen as a better tool for the job than an MCDV. Not trying to diminish what they’ve accomplished, though.

There’s also the possibility of tasking it over to NATO for X number of months annually, to use as they see fit. Sort of like the C-17’s that are shared by several European countries but are made available to NATO as required. Canada could reap a lot of goodwill from that sort of an offer. After all, if Trudeau’s sock diplomacy is having an impact, think of how far Oiler diplomacy can carry us?

Swampbuggy said:
Morning’ folks! I’ve been enjoying this forum for awhile now as a guest, but finally worked up the nerve to try participating. I’m not an RCN member, but I worked for DND years ago as a civvie and have had a great deal of admiration for the CAF ever since. I’m fascinated by the sea and ships, so I have a particular enthusiasm for the Navy. Please bear with me when I post and I promise to treat all feedback with respect and gratitude.

I’ve been thinking about AOR’s lately, and I think there’s a legitimate place for ASTERIX (and hopefully OBELIX) after/if PRE/PRO are built.

Given that the ASTERIX isn’t necessarily the best choice for contested waters, I see it as being an interesting platform for deployment on OP CARIBBE, for example. It has multiple RHIBs, a flight deck for an observation helo, room for the LEDETS and can RAS USCGCs to boot. It would also be close at hand for any of the frequent humanitarian missions that crop up in the Caribbean. It would also keep the MCDV’s closer to home and be able to take over their role on OP CARIBBE once they start getting decommissioned in another 10 years or so. In many ways, the ASTERIX could be seen as a better tool for the job than an MCDV. Not trying to diminish what they’ve accomplished, though.

There’s also the possibility of tasking it over to NATO for X number of months annually, to use as they see fit. Sort of like the C-17’s that are shared by several European countries but are made available to NATO as required. Canada could reap a lot of goodwill from that sort of an offer. After all, if Trudeau’s sock diplomacy is having an impact, think of how far Oiler diplomacy can carry us?

Welcome.  You are on the whole, preaching to the Choir here.  Unfortunately, we are the tick on the Elephant's back and are going to be taken which every direction it wishes in search of new socks and photo ops.  And thus, have little traction to suggest to the Elephant which new roads to travel.

:nod: I hear you. I don’t expect to influence policy with any posts, I just enjoy the discussion and appreciation the insights of the members.

Swampbuggy said:
:nod: I hear you. I don’t expect to influence policy with any posts, I just enjoy the discussion and appreciation the insights of the members.

Welcome to the club.

:cheers:

Here she is again from Davie's Twitter feed:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180126-113916~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20180126-113916~2.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 356
Either somebody is badly out of station, or the first two frigates behind Asterix are just beginning to move to her sides for the Photex.  ;D

That is a sight for sore eyes.  We're starting to become whole again.

More from Federal

27021878_1976528439231132_7255077278731008475_o.jpg

27023457_1976528719231104_8026851920157368251_o.jpg

27023789_1976528595897783_218478373343851320_o.jpg

Question: Is the "scrambling net" on the deck standard practice? Or is it related to the lack of a bear trap haul-down?

It lets (grey, green and black) skid-equipped helicopters to land on, "I would think."  :nod:

Swampbuggy said:

Another reason we need 2 of them, then.  A lot of OP CARIBBE is EASTPAC...the other side is quieter.  So ya, let's get a second iAOR on the West Coast then.  I'd love to do some co-op in that AOR with a RCN TF including the Cycone.  JIATF HQ was impressed with what a single LRPA was capable of;  I think they'd be impressed with a proper TF (2 AirDets would be sweet).  Although, I'd take a second CP-140M over the current config'd P-8 as the ready bird.  :2c:

Back