• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AOR Replacement & the Joint Support Ship (Merged Threads)

Reviving Discussion:

Changes to JSS: among other things, design changed to accommodate transport of Leopard 2A6M.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dgmpd/jss/docs/jss_sor_v_4.1.pdf

It's time to stop fooling around and start cutting steel.

Other than buying a design off the shelf, don't think we have the marine architects to come out with the actual working design.  Then there is the matter of having a capable shipyard to lay down keels & build from the ground up....

I still feel JSS in its current form is a waste of time. Lets just get a couple of dedicated AORs and a couple of dedicated LPDs. That way we can get the job done right. The JSS concept is a bastardized idea that will not do whats needed even halfway correct.

Agree with you Ex D, methinks we would be better off attaching ourselves to an order for  LPD / AORs by our US/UK/Aus friends... with the possibility of some "quid pro quo" always there - for now or the future...

Ex-Dragoon said:
I still feel JSS in its current form is a waste of time. Lets just get a couple of dedicated AORs and a couple of dedicated LPDs. That way we can get the job done right. The JSS concept is a bastardized idea that will not do whats needed even halfway correct.

You and I were both saying that 4 years ago and nobody would listen.

JSS = Big white elephant

In trying to make it everything to everyone they will just end up building a ship that is useful to no one.

whiskey601 said:
You and I were both saying that 4 years ago and nobody would listen.

Yes God forbid we might actually have a clue and know somewhat what we are talking about. ::)

The bean counters could just say "Screw it!, we're keeping the AORs." Then we would be in trouble. JSS>Nothing/AOR.

cheeky_monkey said:
JSS>Nothing/AOR.

JSS means that the army wont have a transport when it wants one and that the Navy wont have an AOR when it needs one.

Even the bean counters understand that its more expensive to keep the AORs we have than building something new.

The only thinkg I see coming down the line is that we are going to wait too darned long and end up in the dog house (again) without the necessary kit to do the job we have to do... dependant on other people/countries to get us to where we need to be.... and wearing out those nice new C17s we just got

Whats the latest on the JSS? Any pointers to open source websites?  Who's the front runner - scuttle butt etc?

Thanks in advance

Try the Navy sub-forum or even the search?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?board=43.0
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/53823.0/all.html

With the recent gravy handed out to BC and Nova Scotia I smell a NFLD award..... ;)

geo said:
Nah.... Ontario awards

Could you get a JSS though the Seaway?  Or, for that matter, is there a yard on the Lakes big enough to build one?

The size of these beasts, no.  There is of course talk going around that the project will not go ahead after all.  Both bidders have indicated that they are not going to be able to deliver for the money being offered.  This project, we are hearing whispers of to the effect it will die of crib death soon.  If so, back to square one.  Hopefully should this happen we will go with off the shelf for an oiler and the same for a LPD.

jollyjacktar said:
The size of these beasts, no.  There is of course talk going around that the project will not go ahead after all.  Both bidders have indicated that they are not going to be able to deliver for the money being offered.  This project, we are hearing whispers of to the effect it will die of crib death soon.  If so, back to square one.  Hopefully should this happen we will go with off the shelf for an oiler and the same for a LPD.

Maybe saner heads have come to the fore. This combo AOR/LPD is not the way to go.

Sure that is the better way to go, but I don't think we can afford to wait another 15 years.

As I understand prior to going into the ditch the suggestion was made in the strongest possible terms that they should not bother with spending the money on the refit and build a new ship instead.  The Navy's reply was that they could not wait for 6 years without a tanker.  Now the whispers are that we will have to keep this old beast going for another 10 years.  It will be virtually impossible this old beast is done it just has not the sense to lay down and die.

They need to buy off the shelf.  It will mean going out of country in all probability but it could be done effectively and easily.  Hell Hyundai will knock one out in a year time frame.  Done.  It is time we stopped screwing around and got our finger out.

Then they could look at the Amphibian project once again.  I am sure there are platforms out there that are obtainable and will do the task we need.

Back